Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Back from the dead

I am not really dead. If I ever DO die, my friend Allee has strict instructions to post the details of my demise. So ... see? I do care! Even though my poor little blog totally has grounds to file for divorce and take the kids away by reason of abandonment these days.

Which is basically my way of saying: Yes, I know I suck. I swear I don't know where the days go. It has been an extremely overwhelming month--not, like, BAD, but busy, so, so busy, compounded by the fact that I would rather sit on the bathroom floor filing my toenails and talking about how busy I am than, you know, actually UN-busy myself. The job has been very busy. Do you know I have a mininum of 42 meetings a month now? 42 meetings! In 20 workdays!

Blah blah blah. I know.

Everything is really good, though. I really can't complain about anything ever, because I have a good job and I know lots of good people AND I even got to go away last week and reclaim a few shreds of my sanity (a few shreds is all I really need anyway). So I'm great, and I hope you're great too. I WILL be better about posting, because I do miss it, but I'm also thinking about giving the whole Twitter thing a shot so that when I can't get a whole post together, I can still do something. I say "give it a shot" because you know I can't commit to anything, least of all a publishing device that limits me to only 140 characters a pop, but I'm here if you're interested and we'll see how it goes. And no, I haven't really posted anything or started following anyone yet, but I will!

In the meantime, a couple of little nuggets:

* I read two books on my little vacay. One was A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby, which I liked very much (f-bombs aplenty, but so funny). The other was a compilation of essays from the Modern Love column in the New York Times. I ADORE Modern Love--I read it every Sunday. If you've never read it, this excellent column from Mother's Day is a good place to start.

* Oh! I also read Emily Giffin's new book The Heart of the Matter before I left. She is on tour now and I was able to go to one of her signings. If you ever have the chance to go see her, I highly recommend doing so. She is wonderful--I just adore her--and the book is great (of course).

* Lost finale ... any opinions? I liked it on its own (I was VERY happy Sawyer and Juliet ended up together) and I like the messages about human connection and everything. At first I was a little bugged that they didn't answer ANYTHING, but the more I let it marinate a little I think I liked it.

* I'm going to a wedding on Saturday and I don't know what to wear.

* I don't even know what I'm wearing to work today, I'm supposed to know what I'm wearing five days from now?

* I hope you're all having a great week. I promise I won't be gone as long this time!

20 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Blogger Melek said...

Im following you on Twitter now (@ekmedia). It's cool if you figure out what you're going to use it for and plan for that. i don't use it for personal stuff bc I don't think anyone cares what I'm doing in 140 characters. I use it more as a business posting site and use it to aggregate articles/resources related to design. So, my .02¢

Glad you're back. i was wondering if the coffee house guy abducted you. :)

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

I basically adore twitter for when I can't wrap my mind around things longer than 140 characters. I just followed you (@MandyKTD). Glad that things are going well in your world!

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Glad to have you back. Sounds like things are going well. I understand busy ~ I'm trying to be better about the gaps in my blog.

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Chrissy said...

Yay a new post!

Started following you on twitter.

I was okay with the LOST finale, didn't hate it, didn't love it...I guess I just kinda liked it.

 
At 11:47 AM, OpenID lizwontcry said...

I loved Heart of the Matter. Emily Giffin has such a way of making me look at all sides of a situation and making me have empathy for the worst person in the story. I luv her.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Karen said...

So much agreement over here. Love Long Way Down and the Modern Love essays--had no idea there was a book!

While watching the Finale live (with other people) I was booing the television when they were at the Church. But like you, the more I think about it (and stream it at work), the more I liked it - just wished they had been a bit less literal.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

So glad to see a new posting.

Thanks for introducing me to Modern Love. The column for Mother's Day was amazing.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Love you! Need to catch up! This week has been an emotional meat shredder! LOL! Have fun at the wedding. it's not yours is it?!?!? Gosh, I sooo want to hear your CD right now! Good thing I put it on my iPod before everything got packed up!!! thank you for all your texts last week! you keep me sane!!! xoxoxo

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger flea said...

yay your back! i'm prob the only person left in the world that doesn't twitter and can't say that I want to either (for now) but if I did I would follow you

I personally was pissed at LOST at first but after watching it a couple of times I think it was perfect, beautiful and very moving

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I don't think you're BACK FROM THE DEAD. I think you just kind of came up for a breath and then when back under!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Because if you were BACK FROM THE DEAD, you would have posted something by now! #swishymustbedeadshouldwehaveafuneral?

xoxoxo

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Barrie said...

The Long Way Down is one of my favorite books. I just love the premise!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Hello Friend,
I know how busy you must be, so I'm glad you gave us an update. I've been so bad about updates too. I have been thinking of you and wondering how you have been doing.

I just wanted to say, have a wonderful summer. Try to stay cool and I hope you get some vacation time. I know how much it means to you to get to spend time with your family. I really hope that can happen.

In the mean time, enjoy your summer and keep up on People, Perez, etc. I love your insights.

xxxxxx

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hmmm not dead and not abandoning your blog but it's been since May. I'm fingers crossed hoping you've been having an amazing summer! :)

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Where is your live Emmy's blog?

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Melek said...

i know, i checked here on emmy night thinking SURELY swishy is blogging tonight, but nothing. so i had to watch the show myself. how boring! :)
we miss you swishy!

 
At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where you at?

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger aahcoffee said...

Perhaps you ARE dead now?

 
At 6:12 PM, OpenID cyanocorax said...

You were one of TTQ's blogging friends so I thought you might want to know that she has passed away:
http://www.beckman-williamson.com/sitemaker/sites/Beckma1/obit.cgi?user=302169Langdon

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I miss you Swishy!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home