Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, February 01, 2010

I wish they had a Grammy for best car singing

Oh, time, you have not been a friend of mine lately. In fact, you have been my vicious, bitter arch nemesis, and yes, I know I waste you a lot and don't appreciate you the way I should, but really? Is this any way to act? Let's make up. Please. I have like a zillion shows to watch on the DVR, I NEED YOU!

Yes, I have been a busy little bee lately. Work has been fairly non-stop and I've been working on a couple of little side things which make me happy, but my, oh my, have they made life a little insane. Not so insane, though, to keep me from a little Grammys chatter!

What I liked:

Lady Gaga and Elton John. I've decided I like pretty much every Lady Gaga performance. She is a lunatic, and I have a soft spot for lunatics. Also, if you can tear your eyes off all the over-the-top theatrics and insane outfits long enough to listen, she really does have a great voice.

Pink. I am not totally, 100 percent positive what that was, but HOLY CRAPOLA.

Beyonce. This one comes with an asterisk. Her performance was great, but I really, really, really wanted her to do Single Ladies instead, if for no other reason than it was in my head the entire rest of the night after it won the first award. (I did think it was cute--and a little surprising--that she thanked Jay-Z. Could have lived without the crotch grab, though.)

Sheryl Crow's dress. It was very simple, but I thought it was flowy and pretty.

What I was so-so on:

Taylor Swift. I think she's adorable and I think it's great that she won ... but am I crazy or was she a little off-key during her performance? Especially at the beginning? Maybe she was nervous, but I kept hearing Randy Jackson's voice ("It's a little pitchy, dawg, little pitchy") in my head as she sang.

The Michael Jackson tribute. THERE, I SAID IT. I know that's not really allowed, I know we're supposed to love every Michael Jackson tribute ever, and yes, I did have a little bit of love for Celine Dion and Usher performing on the same stage (not to mention not one but two American Idol alums) but they TOTALLY faked me out. I thought they were performing We are the World! I was all ready for it, singing it a little under my breath and ... nada. Thanks a lot, Lionel Richie. So disappointing.

What I definitely did not like:

Rihanna's dress. No woman alive should want to ADD to her hips, and the whole top of it was just a mess. But it wasn't as bad as ...

Katy Perry's HORRIFIC dress. Nude-colored anything is just a bad idea. I really, REALLY hated this dress.

Lil Wayne, Eminem and Drake. It is VERY annoying to have half the performance bleeped out because of language. I seriously kept thinking the sound on my TV was going out. Dude, you know you're on national TV, you know it's going to get bleeped. WHAT IS THE POINT.

My guilty pleasure of the night (no, Lady Gaga does not count):

Bon Jovi doing Living on a Prayer with the girl from Sugarland. What can I say ... once a Jersey girl, always a Jersey girl.

Happy Monday, everyone!

13 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Man, I wish I watched guilty tv. Off to google pink's performance!

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I came here to see if you'd posted and, yayyyy, you had! I'm with you on nearly everything, especially Pink's whatever-that-was.

The one other thing that I didn't like at all was Britney's undies with lace skirt on the red carpet.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger flea said...

oh thank god! I thought I was the only one that hated the tribute, yes he was wonderful and great..blah blah but c'mon enough already! and the 3D was soo dumb and lame like who the hell has 3D glasses just sitting at home? did you see will.i.am's fancy gucci glasses I had a good laugh at that..

diddo on everything else you said too

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I thought the Jaime Foxx performance was one of the worst things I'd seen on tv in a long time.

Speaking of Michael Jackson, here's what Mad Magazine said about him: "Michael Jackson's personal and professional lives were filled with constant peaks and valleys. He was tremendously talented, but also tremendously fucked up. Now, we don't like to speak ill of the dead, but here goes anyway: Jacko was a self-important, over-medicated, emotionally-stunted, borderline pedophile who hadn't recorded a good song in 20 years. There, we said it. Now the grieving can begin."

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

OK, seriously, I just read that like five times. Holy crap, that is perfect. (I am having vague MJ memories with you ... what am I thinking of? The day the iPod adapter died?)

And yes, Jamie Foxx was awful, you're totally right. Oh, and Britney! Yes, bad. I thought her Dad was supposed to veto those kinds of terrible decisions!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Michael said...

My iPod adapter died to Gloria by Laura Branigan.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Patti said...

taylor swift: i have never gotten the hubbub, bub. i always think she sings off-key.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

I would NEVER forget Gloria!!! For some reason I feel like MJ was somehow involved in something ... I can't remember.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Melek said...

did you happen to catch the Crossroads episode with Bon Jovi and Sugarland? Man, was it good!!! BJ could totally be a country singer. And did you see Rihanna pull out a wedgie when she walked up to get her award. uncool.
pink was rockin the hot bod...not sure her getup was comfy tho.
and the tribute...it was ok, but in 3-D? really? how about a little heads up on that one so maybe we could have grabbed some glasses somewhere. that was just dumb.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I think Paul and I were listening to How Soon Is Now by the Smiths, and you changed it to Gloria.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

I was a fan of both pink and lady gaga/elton john. I was underwhelmed by beyonce -- I expected more from her. You are right about Talyor Swifts performance.

Hope you're having a lovely week!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Pink was freakin AMAZING...nuff said about her. and I love me some Bon Jovi!!!!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger AnastasiaSpeaks said...

I agree with practically everything you said about the Grammy stuff. Love Gaga, she's crazy but interesting and has a great voice. I love love Pink but got a little dizzy with that performance. And the rest...totally! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home