Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

It's the little things

I came across the greatest article the other day (and not just because it's from a London paper and therefore uses the cutest British lingo ever). It's a list of the top 50 greatest little pleasures in life. In the top 10 are things like finding money in your pocket, getting into a bed with freshly washed sheets, laughing so hard you cry and catching up with an old friend. No. 1: Getting a good night's sleep (so boring but so true!).

So, in honor of the list, a few of my favorite little pleasures:

Getting the seat that I want at the coffee shop. I've found kind of a knockoff version of my old coffee shop, and after trying out lots of different seats, I've decided my favorite one is in the very back corner. It's not a table, it's an armchair with two mini-tables, and it has not one but two outlets within plugging distance. (Bonus: I get to spy on everyone else's screens but no one gets to spy on mine! Ha.) Every time I go there, I do my little "Please be open, please be open" chant ... and when it is, I always do a little happy clap.

The dollar spot at Target. As the enormous shopping bag full of cute dollar notecards in my closet will attest.

Eating in bed. This is a little rebellious thing I do when I'm having a bad week and want to feel nothing like an adult while simultaneously basking in the fact that the only reason I get to do this is BECAUSE I'm an adult. I prop a plate up on a pillow, get all snuggled under the blankets and put something on TV. (And usually fall asleep 20 minutes later, which sort of helps the cause, too.)

People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive, Most Beautiful People or Most Eligible Bachelors issue. Love, love, LOVE.

Getting a card in the mail for no reason at all.

Getting on a good laughing jag. One of my friends at work sometimes puts on old Beverly Hills, 90210 episodes on mute and makes up dialogue for me. It's usually only for a minute or two, but I nearly lose my mind every time, it's so funny.

Walking past a guy and then catching him turning around to get another look. (Who DOESN'T love that?)

Hearing a song I really like while I'm in the car. Bonus points if it's nice enough out to roll down the windows. Double bonus points if it's a totally embarrassing song I get caught singing along with at a stoplight, because then I'll spend the next five miles laughing, too.

Awards shows!

Starting a new book, especially a book I've been dying to read. I seriously turn it into an event.

A good, old-fashioned bubble bath.

Leaving work early. This basically never happens to me anymore, but oh, there is something just so delicious and scandalous about leaving early, even if it's totally allowed.

There are so many more I can think of! What are some of yours?

14 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Patti said...

little pleasure i would love at the moment: a head NOT filled with snot and a feverless day. WANT.

simple pleasure #42: i love the bag of lindor truffles on my desk staring at me all day. i use them as my carrot of accomplishment. at the end of the day, i unwrap one and all is well with the world.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Alex said...

Having fresh coffee waiting for you when you wake up (either because you programmed the coffee maker the night before or someone else made it for you.

Lighter than normal traffic

Having your dog excited to see you when you get home

When your favorite shows start a new season

When there is no line at the Redbox

When there is no line at the Grocery Store!

Anytime you weigh yourself and are less than you expected

When you check your bank balance and it's more than you expected

And back when I had roommates - when your roommate leaves for the weekend and you have the place to yourself!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Melek said...

Catching all green lights when you're running late.

That up-front parking spot.

Taking a nap in the middle of a work day.

Reading a book at lunch, or in the tub, or on the patio while the dog lounges in the sun.

Fuzzy slippers.

Finding a bag of m&m's hidden in the pantry just when i was about to die from a chocolate craving.

Getting NetFlix in the mail. Actually, getting anything in the mail other than spam or bills (yesterday i did a happy dance at the mailbox when i got my new biz cards delivered).

A warm, sleepy dog who wants to cuddle.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

You guys! Those are so great!!!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Bina said...

Fresh, clean, wrinkle free sheets after I've just shaved my legs.

A clean house!!!

Green grass.

Popcorn and sweet iced tea.

No kids arguing!

Being the first one at the check out at Walmart.

Snow!!!!

Thunderstomrs.

Those are just a few.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Getting mail for no reason is one of my favorites (I try to send it out regularly too).

Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

An afternoon nap.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ooo, good list. I can definitely go along with a few of yours. I want to know what your job is that you can turn on cable in the middle of the day. I'm jealous!

I love huge thunderstorms

And the snuffling of horses in your hand

And college football Saturdays

And a really good dinner with really good friends

And fitting into clothes that you'd forgotten you owned

Cookie dough

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

pulling on warm clothes from the dryer

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

The dog sighing when you rub her tummy

A wood-burning fire in the fireplace

Finding one last roll of toilet paper (or a tampon) when you thought you'd run out

 
At 1:49 PM, Anonymous angelawd said...

Clean-sheet night.

Napping on a rainy day.

Finding a beautiful, perfect flower in the garden.

Waking up full of energy and ready to grab onto the world.

Finding a piece of chocolate in the cupboard that I forgot I had.

A favorite old movie on TV - the uncut version.

Laughing so hard with someone else you can't stop, and every time you look at them, you start up again.

A perfect, fluffy snowfall.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Reading your blog and finding one of your awesome lists. Seriously, you're the best at reminding me that there are little pockets of happiness to be found all over the place. Like:

My dog curling up right next to me with her head in my lap on the couch.

The UPS guy bringing me a box from Amazon or Zappos

Having leftovers in the fridge to heat up for lunch

A new episode of THE GOOD WIFE

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger kristi said...

I left work early today for a sick kid, but I was still happy about it!

Yummy smelling lotion.

Hearing people's stories and thinking my hubby is pretty great!

Sexy texts.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Barrie said...

A bag of soft fresh licorice. And no children around who insist I learn to share!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

What books are you reading?!?!?!? I need to know!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home