Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, January 01, 2010

I like the look of you, 2010

Happy New Year, everyone! I love New Year's Day. New Year's Eve, I could do without (that and Valentine's: so overhyped), but I love, love, love, with a great, big puffy heart, New Year's Day. I totally get into the resolutions and clean slates of it all. Plus, lots of great marathons on TV, no one expects a single thing out of you because half the world is hung over ... what a great holiday.

My favorite New Year's was a few years ago. A couple of days before New Year's, my friend Allee and I were going to a comedy show with some of her friends from work. It was actually a fairly miserable time in my life in a lot of ways, and long story short, I ended up getting into a huge fight over the phone with a guy while we were waiting in line at the comedy club. I spent the next chunk of forever standing outside in the freezing cold, fighting with this guy, bawling my eyes out, while poor Allee was stuck between her friends inside and coming outside to check on me ... just not a lot of fun for anyone.

At some point, a few minutes after the show had started inside, a random guy (cute, single, around my age) walked past me and then kind of backpedaled. "Hey," he said. "Are you OK?"

I looked at him, my face just a wreck, and said: "I could use a hug."

(I can't believe I said that to a stranger, by the way, even a cute one. You can see what kind of night it was.)

He was totally unfazed. "I can absolutely give you a hug," he replied. He did, then he stepped back, tipped his head to the side and looked at me. "I don't like to see girls cry," he said. "Any guy who makes you cry is an asshole. He doesn't deserve you."

That made me smile a little. "Thank you."

He didn't leave then, though. He took me and my friend inside, even though the show had already started and even though he'd gone to an earlier show. He bought both of our drinks and walked us out after the show. He got my number, and called a couple of times to check on me and ask if we could have coffee or something. I never did return his call. It was kind of a shitty time, and then I lost my phone and, with it, his number. I still feel bad about that.

A couple of days later, it was New Year's Day. "You have to see this movie," Allee said. "It's the perfect movie for you right now." It was The Holiday--she had seen it the week before. Allee picked me up and we went to see it (and then snuck into Dreamgirls for good measure. Ha.) She was right, it was the perfect movie for me that day, and I sat in the movie theater and cried because it made me feel so much better. And the fact that I had a friend who KNEW it would make me feel better made me feel about a thousand times better than the movie did.

So every year around New Year's, I think about that, about the humanity and goodness in those two things, and it just makes me so happy and hopeful--that in this crazy world with lots of crazy things happening, there are such good people who help make life a little less crazy for each other.

I was flipping through my blog archives looking for something the other day, and when I look at it all at once, I'm like, holy CRAP, you guys have been here for a lot of my life. You were there the day I found a nest in my car, the time I saw a naked streaker at McDonald's, when I stalkerazzi-ed the guy who carries around self-portraits at Target. You hung out at the coffee shop with me. You indulged me in my love of hot TV characters and my inexplicable affection for eHarmony commercials. You read all about my many, MANY run-ins with the popo as well as my ridiculous airport and other traveling exploits. (I have to say, CIA agent notwithstanding, those are my favorites.) And you were there a year and a half ago when I made one of the hardest decisions of my life.

I (naturally) had to look up my 2010 horoscope, just for fun, and it said that after a couple of bumpy years, this year is going to be full of happiness. It HAS been a couple of bumpy years, but in a lot of ways it wasn't really so bad because I had you guys. I've let things lapse a little around here over the last year since I moved, but in spite of that and Twitter and Facebook and everything else, I still love my little blog, and I love that you're still with me.

So thank you. You, too, have brought such grace and humor and kindness to my life, and I appreciate it so much. Happy New Year. Here's to 2010, the best year yet.

20 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Patti said...

oh swishy, we lurvs you too!

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Ramblinrose said...

You still totally rock swishy xo

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Melek said...

i haven't read your blog in a while bc December is always crazy for me, but loved checking in today to see this post. the story about the guy and the hug warms me and helps me remember that there ARE a few good people left out there....people like YOU! :)

Happy new year to you too. And here's to a kick ass 2010!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Even though I don't comment often I do enjoy your adventures ~ and think you are so brave to make such a big move on your own. I do hope this year will be a wonderful, less bumpy road for you. Happy New Year

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Happy New Year! May 2010 be the best yet!

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Barrie said...

Happy New Year, Swishy! I think 2010 will be very very good for you. xo

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

Happy New Year, Swishy! Here's hoping 2010 is the best year yet!

Looking forward to reading your new posts in the new year!

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Wellwoods said...

Nice site you have here I have a marketing/solcial netwrorking site. Maybe you would be interested in joining for free and putting up your postings of yourself,products or business on our blogs and fourms You can find it at my main site just look for Cowboy Marketing Unleashed. and sign up its free.

Ps : We work with others to build their business and themselfs.

PSS:Set up your own social page or start your own group put your music,pic's and videos on your own space as well all for free.

Wellwoods
Http://wellwoods.com

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger GracieC said...

So I'm a Swishy's Blog Loser lately, but I still LOVED this post. Here's hoping you're right about 2010...we could all use a little of that goodness and humanity.

Thanks for stopping by MCMB and reminding me how cool you are. Really. I needed that post. :)

P.S. And here's to people building themselFs. Woo!

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

OOPS! That GracieC is really me...Isaac and Gracie talked me into letting them start private blogs a few minutes ago and she was still signed in. Sorry about that...

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger shopgirl said...

I know I don't always comment (sorry about that!) but I lurve your blog!!
Have a very happy and wonderful 2010!!!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Sara Hantz said...

Happy New Year to you too. Such a shame you lost the number of the guy who gave you the hug....

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm so with you on the new slates and all. And what great friends (and guy?) you have. That rocks. Here's hoping it's more of the good and none of the bad in 2010 for you. Happy New Year!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Happy New Years Swishy! You always make me smile and my heart feel warmer. It is nice to know that there are people like you out there in the world who have such big hearts and give so much back to us.

I hope your year is wonderful!
XXXXXXXX

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger JODI said...

To this day the Popo remains one my favorite blog posts. I have vowed to get you a thumbs up picture of cop ;-)

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Here's to you, Swishy, and having a wonderful 2010.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Awww...one of the best Swishy posts ever. Love this, and you. My theme for this year is "Let's have some fun." Here's to it :)

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Beth said...

awwwww My Swishy...I loves ya girl!!!!

and you should TOTALLY try to find that guy, cuz he sounds like a keeper!!!

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

You guys! You are awesome. Thank you so much ... happy new year :)

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

What a great blog post! I haven't been the bestest BBFF lately, and I miss hanging out with you over here, and I totally miss our AIM chats, and our phone chats and our emails, and it seems like when you moved we lost a little bit of each other, but when we do chat we get right back into the swing of things so I am so grateful for that!

There are bits and pieces of your blog that makes me KNOW you will be a tremendous novelist someday -- the story of the guy outside the comedy club -- can you imagine if you had called him back. He might have been your true love? The CIA guy -- if you had actually gone up to him at one of those flirty moments and offered to buy him coffee? How might things be different? Those are the moments you need to make into your novel. Or, in the future, into your life. Get outside that box and DO IT! Make 2010 everything you want it to be! Man, I miss you so fucking much! I love and adore you in the most very non-gay (not that there's anything wrong with it) way!

And PS, I started watching The Office! OMG! I am HOOKED!

And PSS ... Emily mailed me her new book! OMG TOTALLY FREAKED! I have to tell you THAT STORY! OMG WE NEED A GIRLY WEEKEND! xoxoxoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home