Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

OK, we have a lot to talk about

First order of business: Oprah.

I'm much more partial to 10-years-ago Oprah than I am to present-day Oprah, but I'm still a little bit sad that she's ending her show. I'm sure it won't be OVER-over, she'll probably do something at some point on her new cable network ... but the current version, at least, will be done. It might sound strange, but I always found something really comforting about the consistency of Oprah. For most of my life, no matter how many things changed or how crazy everything got, I could always turn on my TV at 4 o'clock and see Oprah.

And honest to goodness, at her best, she really did make me want to live a better life. I remember watching once and thinking, you know, it's not that hard to be a little bit better of a person. To be a little bit nicer, a little bit more thoughtful, to try a little more ... it's really not that hard, and I should do it more often.

(Even if she can be kind of a lunatic sometimes.)

Next on the agenda: People's Sexiest Man Alive.

Listen, I am just going to admit it: This whole thing actually drove me to write on Hoda and Kathie Lee's Facebook wall. I know. I KNOW. But I was outraged, and I needed an outlet, and they were talking about it on TV, and FINE, I DID IT. Here's the thing about Johnny Depp: Yes, he's great-looking, and when he combs his hair and shaves a little he is on-fire hot, but he is wayyyy too anti-social. He doesn't have that charm of a Clooney or a Pitt or even a Cruise. Do you know that he didn't even do an interview for the story? WHAT IS THAT? Everyone else plays along, makes jokes about Sexiest Man Alive crowns and sashes and whatever else. Not Johnny Depp. He's just so ABOVE it all.

I would have picked Ryan Reynolds. He had a big movie this year, he's got two huge movies coming up, he's fresh and young, and OH, YEAH, HE'S HOT.

The third thing is fast: I had on the American Music Awards, and they said Fall Out Boy has a greatest hits album coming out. What? Really? For real, that is like when they put some random movie from 2003 on AMC.

Oh, and I watched part of a Curb marathon today and Susie Essman is hilarious.

That is all. Happy Monday, everyone!

13 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Anonymous LynnAnn said...

SERIOUSLY. You know what is the most not-hot thing about Johnny Depp? The European showering situation. As in I'm pretty sure he is not interested in showers and I can just about smell him through my tv screen.
:) Hope you don't mind the de-lurking; this was a post that fired me up!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Hello! You can de-lurk anytime! :)

OK, and here's another thing about the Europe issue: He's from Kentucky. KENTUCKY. Like, listen, Johnny, you live in a world with Wikipedia, I KNOW you didn't grow up in Paris as the only child of French bohemians. Ohhhh, Johnny.

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger TTQ said...

I love anti-social men. Bad boys to the end, but I MARRIED a nice one. My mom is thrilllled that phase is over. Oh but the chase was so sweet when I won.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

I'm a sucker for Johnny Depp too, anti-social behavior and all. It's that bad boy thing, like TTQ said.

But I do think he should have done an interview.

Dressed up as a pirate.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Patti said...

i think i am the only female in the world, THE WORLD!, who isn't an oprah fan. she grates on me. the kind of grating that you experience when fingernails meet chalkboard.

and i do love me some johnny depp...

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

I am not a fan of Johnny Depp at all. I dont think he is even close to being sexy. Lets talk about Shemar Moore or Denzel Washington -- there is some pure sexiness. =)

I will miss Oprah too, I was a big fan years ago and while I am not a huge fan of where her show has gone in recent years, I still try to get tickets to her show.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

This my take on Oprah..Yeah who? Oh yeah that lady, I see her in the grocery sometimes.. never loved her can't miss her.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Melek said...

i've been watching Oprah most of my adult life, and you're right about the consistency...she's always there, every day at 3 or 4 or 5 depending on where i've lived.

as for Johnny...yes, he's hot. and i actually think he's more alluring bc he doesn't do interviews. makes you want to get to know him better. But, i think there are other just as good looking men out there who haven't been nominated. i think you should get one cover and that's it. then move on. plenty of hotties to share it with. Viggo Mortenson (YUM!), LL cool J, JT, Clive Owen...i could go on and on :)

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Andie said...

well you know I agree with you about my boyfriend being the sexiest man alive! LOL

i would love a spread of him in people. heeee.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Johnny Depp just makes me cringe. I'll admit that I had his picture plastered over one of my high school folders one year (circa 21 Jump Street), but ummmm he's kinda icky now. Skeevy.

And Oprah? I've never watched her show. Ever. I live in Chicago, and I've never been to see her show. I know there's something wrong with me, but I just don't get it.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Yeah, I miss the 10-years ago Oprah.

I enjoy Johnny Depp movies but don't really think he's sexy. Sweet but not sexy. Ryan or Vitto would work for me, too.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Beth said...

oh honey...Ryan Reynolds....OMG!!!!! He is so freaking HOT!!1 Love him. Depp? meh...not so much. a little too greasy for me, ya know?

XOXOXOX

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I kind of like Johnny Depp b/c he just does whatever the heck he wants and doesn't give a crap about what People magazine thinks, BUT I agree about the stale choices. We get it, People, you love George Clooney! So did we ... when he was on ER ten years ago.

Also, your point about Johnny Depp being from Kentucky is hysterical.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home