Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Love at first sight

So I was listening to the radio the other day, and they were talking about whether it was possible to fall in love at first sight. No, no, no, I thought. Anyone who's been hopelessly, brutally, blissfully, gut-wrenchingly in love knows that doesn't happen in a split second.

And then a lady called in and said she walked into a bar one night, laid eyes on a tall guy with brown hair and just knew he would be her husband. More than 20 years later, he still is. So there you go.

I guess maybe I believe in both a little bit. Love at first sight? No, not really. But I do think sometimes you can meet someone and just know that person is going to mean something in your life. It's like you recognize something in them, an unexpected little piece of magic. And maybe you don't know why, but you know there's a chance you COULD love them, and that's just as good.

Coincidentally, I got this link in my email today, an article about whether falling in love at first sight is possible. The answer? Sort of--they say we know in a second whether we're attracted to someone, and we know in three minutes whether we'd be in a relationship with someone. First, we look at general appearance, then their voice (for men, the deeper the better), then their words.

The story made me laugh a little bit when I read it, because I like to joke that I can spot a man, have an entire relationship with him in my head and then break up with him within five minutes. I look at the face first, then I look at the hands (I'm a sucker for good hands). And then, yes, the voice, along with, oh, does he seem like he would be a good father, a good kisser, would he bring me breakfast in bed, sing stupid songs with me in the car, play with my hair while we watch all my favorite shows, and ... wait a second, is that a third nipple poking through his shirt? ANNULMENT, PLEASE!

I don't really believe in love at first sight. But it sure is fun to think about.

14 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger kk said...

I'm a firm believe that you know within 2 seconds if you'll ever sleep with a guy. Well, at least I used to. :)

If you're getting all these "love at first sight" things, I suggest you keep your eyes wide open!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Jon B said...

Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again? Classic.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

I'm not sure I believe in love at first sight, but like you, I definitely believe that you can know whether or not that person will mean something to you.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger flea said...

I don't really believe in it either, sure the idea of it is all sooo romantic and lovey dovey, but does it truly happen?? i think not

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I believe in it. But I also believe you can be friends for a long time and suddenly things shift and you see the person in a whole nuther light. I'm a hopeless romantic. Hopeful romantic. :)

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Melek said...

have you read the book "Blink"? it's kind of like love at first sight in that it talks about how we make our lasting impression of someone or something within the first like 20 seconds of seeing them. I knew when I met JD that he'd be something special in my life...I remember specificially thinking "yeah, this could work" :) (is THAT love?)

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Monnik said...

I don't know about love at first sight... I only had that experience once - was at a party and this amazing guy walked in and I told my roommate that I was going to marry that guy someday. We kind of were an item for a while, but drifted apart and are now both married to other people.

I still call him 'the one that got away' though... :)

So while I think it *can* happen, I don't think it happens a lot.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I sometimes wonder if love at first sight exists but that too few people get a chance at it. And that maybe we're settling for people when there is true love out there waiting for us.

Oh, and the 5 minute relationships? I LOVE that. So much less pain and so fun nonetheless.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

My Dear Hubby told me he fell in love with me the first time he saw me walk in the room. For me, it was "eh, not so much" . . . but he was patient (VERY much so@) and just kept being there and being himself, and eventually turned my head. And here we are, 25+ years later, and we still fall in love with each other all over again.

So YES, I do believe in love at first sight. Maybe it didn't happen to ME, but it happened to HIM. So, I know it exists! :-)

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger tagskie said...

hi.. just dropping by here... have a nice day! http://kantahanan.blogspot.com/

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

I don't believe in falling in love with someone at first sight, maybe lust but not love.
I have to say after a month of dating my then boyfriend I knew I would marry him. 9+ years later we are still happily married.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

I am LOVING these comments! They are so interesting! I was thinking about it some more, and I really do believe that you can know right away that someone will mean something to you. I love that. So much magic sort of disappears as you go through life and deal with reality, but that's something that hangs on a bit, I think. Kind of nice.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous dimples said...

swisher sweets! i haven't said hi in a while, so i figured this would be an appropriate blog post to say hi again on. you always crack me up, it's great.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Barb said...

I agree that sometimes you meet people and KNOW that they are supposed to be in your life.. as for love at first site, I'm not convinced. My DH and I were friends for almost a year before dating. Still here 20+ years later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home