Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, November 09, 2009

It's a party in the USA

I had a dance party in my apartment today. I was the only one dancing, but oh, you'd better believe it was a party. I was supposed to be cleaning, but this song came on--Starry Eyed Surprise (you know it, it was in a Diet Coke commercial)--and it is a biological impossibility to hear this song and not go instantly, completely spastic shaking your groove thang.

I'm seeing stars, I'm seeing stars ... awwww, yeah!

I've been on a big music kick lately. I know, what else is new, but every few months I get on this thing where I am just dying to listen to music, to find new music, and I spend inordinate amounts of time skipping from song to song on iTunes and YouTube and listening to my favorites until they literally burn old-school record tracks into my brain.

Some of the songs I've been loving lately (links are YouTube videos):

Lovers in Japan, Coldplay. I was at lunch last week with a couple of my friends, and this song came on in the restaurant. I got home later that night and downloaded it, and I've been listening to it all week. I'm not sure why I like it so much, I think there's something about it that just feels like possibility.

All the Right Moves, OneRepublic. OK, seriously. This song comes on ALL the TIME when I'm in the car, and you would think I'd be sick of it by now, but I'm totally not. I know it's about rich people or whatever, but I love the part where he's like, "Do you think I'm special? Do you think I'm nice? Am I bright enough to shine in your spaces?" (1:40 mark) because I think that's a great way to describe what it's like when you have a crush on someone new.

Crack the Shutters, Snow Patrol. It's just an unabashedly romantic little song. My favorite part is the chorus: "Crack the shutters open wide, I want to bathe you in the light of day. And just watch you as the rays tangle up around your face and body." (Administrative note: I think the video for this song is stupid, so I'm linking to some Twilight fan video instead. Don't hate me.)

That's What You Get, Paramore. I still like this song better than any song I've heard from their new album. I blast, blast, BLAST the part in the middle--"Pain, make your way to me"--I just love it. I'm sure the neighbors do, too.

But I need more new songs to listen to! I always seem to do a CD giveaway around this time of year, so we'll do another. Post a song you've been likely lately in the comments--I'll pick one and send the winner a CD of some of your favorites and some of mine.

And yes, you are totally invited to my next dance party.

10 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger kk said...

OMG, I LOVE Starry-Eyed Surprise!

One of my all-time faves.

Another that always makes me boogie in the driver's seat: Glamourous by Fergie.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm totally rockin' I've Got A Feelin' -- ever since a friend of mine used that to enter her reception with her new husband earlier this year. LOVE that song :)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger flea said...

i'm digging these lately; David Guetta feat. Akon - Sexy Bitch, Ke$ha - TiK ToK, BEP - meet me halfway and Jason Derulo - Whatcha Say

I still love starry eyed surprize too!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I secretly love Starry-Eyed Surprise too. And love a good dance party. And Miley.

So, new-to-you songs...have you heard the new John Mayer/Taylor Swift song? Not bad! I also rediscovered the Last Kiss soundtrack last week, love love love.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Angela Williams Duea said...

I'm old...I don't know any of these songs! Plus my car radio is broken.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I've been listening to an oldie, My Brown Eyed Girl, because that was the song my husband always played this for me in college because.......well, of my brown eyes. Then when Melanie and Hannah were born, they had my brown eyes, so he would call us his brown eyed girls, and we'd play it and all dance together. It was fun. We can't do it now, cause Christie has the most beautiful blue eyes, but on my I pod, it is a blast from the past. It gets me moving and smiling, like only music can do.
XOXOXOX

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

I need more of these up-beat songs to add to my workout playlist.

Swishy, if you have any suggestions, can you email them to me?

Because your music taste is the best. I still love that CD I won from you a few years back.

monnik1 at yahoo dot com.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

I love the new Train CD. Hey Soul Sister is a great song.

I also like the 21 Guns Green Day song.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

I have not heard Starry Eyed Suprise in way too long. Such a great feel good song.

Little Motel by Modest Mouse has been on my playlist, its just so beautifully perfect.

Rock Steady by No Doubt is an old song that I just discovered, which I am also loving right now.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

My daughter loves dance parties, I think we should invite her too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home