Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, November 16, 2009

I love the way they say loo

OK, this might not be a cool thing to admit, I don’t know, but I absolutely love the fourth hour of the Today show, the hour with Kathie Lee and Hoda. We have a bunch of TVs in my office, and one day someone had the Today show on for some completely legitimate reason (unlike the reasons it's on nowadays). We all sort of forgot it was on, but then 10 o'clock rolled around and those two came on with their ambush makeovers and their Man Panel and I was like, hello, Kathie Lee and Hoda, where have you been all my life? They are insane in the best possible way. Kathie Lee makes some ridiculous comment and Hoda just gives the camera this look that I love, a perfect blend between bemusement and complete and utter how did I get here? Last week, they talked about Carrie Prejean and her sex tape every single day and I seriously almost lost my mind at how funny it was.

Anyway, a week or so ago they were talking about a survey that had been done about which accent people found sexiest. You know, like British, Australian, Scottish, even a good old Matthew McConaughey-esque Southern drawl. None of those was the winner, though, the winner was an Irish accent. Irish! I told my co-worker I did not understand that at all, maybe because the only Irish accents I've heard have also been slightly slurred after a few too many pints of Guinness (being half-Irish himself, he conceded the point).

Personally, I am a flat-out sucker for a British accent. There are a whole bunch of British guys in another department at work whose cubicles are on my floor and I am constantly eavesdropping on them and trying to trick them into talking to me at the water cooler. ("Pardon me" "Oh, no, pardon me! And, oh, by the way, have you seen Victoria Beckham’s new hairstyle? I hear that's sort of a big deal across the pond." ACROSS THE POND! So authentic! And yet so ineffective!)

Invariably, after this happens, I try to speak with a British accent for the next 15 minutes (" 'ello, my name is 'arry potter") to absolutely, horrifically disastrous results. I am horrible at imitating accents--except one. For some bizarre reason, even though I grew up in New Jersey and haven't lived in the South a day in my life, I'm often accused of having a Southern lilt. I blame Friday Night Lights.

All of which leads me to this: Which accent do you find most irresistible?

(P.S. I totally became a fan of Kathie Lee and Hoda on Facebook the other day. Hahaha.)

14 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Monnik said...

I kind of dig that Latin accent, like Antonio Banderas, you know?

Or Vampire. As in: I vant to suck your blood...

And, speaking of FNL - do you have DirectTV? Have you been watching it this season?

OMGosh, it's ah-MAY-zing!!

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Melek said...

i dated an Irish guy almost completely for his accent...and his legs....and his guitar playing. :) a french accent just irritates me. british, yes, yummy.

have you seen the Hoda/Kathie lee skits on SNL?? hysterical. i haven't seen the Today show with them on it, but every time i see SNL skit, i want to watch just to see if it really is like that.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

I an a total sucker for a British accent as well. Le swoon. I would totally guy based on his accent. Unfortunately in my small town here in the midwest, British accents are hard to com by.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Charlie said...

I'm English (I feel I need to write English rather than British -for some odd reason!) and I luurve the American accent!!

I s'pose you always like what you haven't got all around you all day!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger flea said...

hahaha still laughing over the joining the facebook group...I also love the British accent with Irish being right behind it, there is just something so proper and sexy about it

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I am with you! Oh my god. I love it when they say I have to go to the loo- or Bloody Hell, or "i shagged so and so" etc. I don't know what it is. There was a guy on my flight home from Philly last weekend that was English and I kept listening to him talk when we were in the baggage claim because although he was not an attractive man- the accent just drew me in. LOL

I also love Jeffrey Dean Morgan's Irish brogue in PS I Love You. OMG melted me. I like Scottish brogues too. I think it's just something about it that is just SO SEXY.

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous stef said...

i love just about any accent, with exception of the southern drawl (which kind of sounds like a midwest american drawl), or australian (which sounds like a british drawl). i spent 4 months in scotland last year, and i LOVE scottish accents. even though i was in glasgow and couldn't understand half of what they were saying...

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I love a Latin accent too....and I want an accent myself...any kind of an accent!!! country twang, British...latin..I dont care, I just wnat one!

XOXOX

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Swirly girl said...

First of all I'd like to say that I too am from Jersey too, but moved to oklahoma when I ws 25. Now when I talk to my friends they tell me I sound like a hick and I so don't get it. There is no way I speak like these okies. No way! I am a total sucker for a british accent myself. It just sounds romantic in some weird way. Of course I had a thing with an irishman and I was digging that too, pre-pints of guiness.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Patti said...

are you a fan of The Bg Bang Theory sitcom? on monday's episode the indian dude mocked the american accent and said it made everything we say sound stupid. it was a very funny bit.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Angela Williams Duea said...

Oh, Antonio Banderas does it for me. Is it him or his accent, or both?

I'd have to say a German accent is the LEAST sexy one. Apologies to all my fellow Germans.

angelawd: the writer gets the last word

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger janay said...

....................................................................................................

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I don't know if George Clooney has an accent but I love his voice. I could listen to it all night long.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Monnik! I owe you songs, and I swear I will email them soon. I don't have DirecTV, but my friend does, which means every few weeks I get a videotape delivery :) I'm not caught up yet, but I will be soon!

And the SNL skits are completely like real clips. It really is just like that. HA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home