Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, October 26, 2009

The extent of my exciting life

So last week my lower back starts getting really tight, which I attribute (as usual) to not really getting into a consistent workout routine again since I've moved. I'm complaining (of course) at work, and say I'm going to the gym later, where hopefully working out will loosen up my back a little. My friend shakes his head. "Nooo," he says, "I don't think that sounds like a very good idea."

Trust me, I say. I know what I'm doing. No way, he says. Don't do it.

Well. Fast forward to an hour later. I'm bending over to tie my shoes, when OW OW OW OWWWWWWWW, SOMEONE JUST PLUNGED 37 KNIVES INTO MY BACK, NOW I KNOW WHAT DYING FEELS LIKE. It takes 20 minutes to get off the floor. Later that night, it takes me 15 minutes just to pee. This lasts for like three days. I have never experienced anything like it, and my back is STILL sore.

So, my October: death flu and back spasms. Translation: more excitement than a bucket full of firecrackers.

This IS exciting, though: My friend Allee is coming to visit this weekend. This is very, very, very, VERY SUPER EXCITING news, actually, and leads me into the real point of this post. A couple of months ago, Allee sent me an email with this link, which is basically a challenge to do something out of the ordinary every month. Allee said we should do that too, take some kind of risk each month. And I was like, TOTALLY! We totally should! It'll be so great! So empowering! So we agreed we'd do it.

Two months later ... um, did I mention the back spasms and the death flu?

But! With Allee coming, this is the perfect time to renew our commitment to new, exciting, risk-taking lives. Since my idea of exciting these days is plopping onto the opposite end of the couch (everything looks totally different from there!), I need your help. What should I do? Finally run a 5K? Drag myself to the lady-parts doctor? Track down the CIA guy? WHAT? If either of us does one of your suggestions, you're totally getting a prize. And, of course, there's safety in numbers, if you want to pick something to do, too :)

(P.S. I just tried another--yes, another--hairdresser and it was both risky AND thrilling. We have a winner! So that one is covered.)

8 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I think you should find a new coffee shop and a new CIA guy.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

I agree... we haven't seen any spy posts from you lately.

But my vote is for running a 5K. It's really fun! If you're not up to 5K distance yet, google the couch to 5K running program. It really works and the feeling of running a race is so amazing!!

I really hope your back is better. My back does that very same thing to me when I stray from my workout routines. Each year that I get older, it seems to get worse. Not cool...

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Bina said...

My husband trains for triathlons but, I had to take him the doctor Saturday morning cause his back hurt so bad he could barely walk. Then I wake up Monday morning and my back has been killing me. I have NO idea what I've done to it. It makes no sense to me.

So, you found a hair dresser?? YEA!!!!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Angela Williams Duea said...

Maybe you don't want to hear this, but it could be a urinary tract infection.

I rarely exercise just so that I can avoid that pesky lower back problem between workouts.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Whoo on the hairdresser! I think you should go get facials. That should be your exciting thing for the month. Or start training for the 5K. I love the couch 2 5k program! I'm currently on week 3. Again. I miss having a consistent schedule.

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Glad you did the hairdresser thing, the coffee shop/CIA guy sounds good, but with back pain like that, I'd find an indoor pool.
Enjoy your time.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Beth said...

TRACK DOWN CIA GUY!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Barrie said...

Like you, I have to go to the gym regularly to ward off back spasms. There's this one machine...

Yes, to the coffee shop. Yes, to a spy story!

And...I'm off to the gym. Seriously.

WEIRD: The word verification is mismate!!!! And I just read your post on true love. WOW!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home