Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Happy, happy Emmy day!

You know Emmy day is a big day around here (see exhibits A, B and C) but this Emmy day might be the biggest of them all. Not because of who's nominated (where is Friday Night Lights?!?) or because of who's wearing what (the red carpet hasn't even started yet), but because this year, I have a very special Emmy guest. An Emmy guest named ... Emmy. Yes, THAT Emmy. I have a friend who has won a couple (JEALOUS MUCH? NO, NOT ME!) and he very kindly offered to let Emmy come over for the Emmys.

Emmy and I have had a very action-packed 24 hours together. First, we had to rest up for the big show.



And then make the Emmy party food:



Of COURSE, we had to primp:



Best dressed or worst dressed?



Ready to watch the red carpet!



(Back with the live blog in a bit!)

**********

6:07: Ryan's hair is a bit tall. Still not tall enough to make HIM look tall, though (Heidi Klum is totally towering over him!).

6:13: Oooh, Giuliana's wearing her ring again! I guess I'll have to take back my Giuliana and Bill divorce rumors.

6:21: Christina Hendricks has a smoking body (apparently, I'm a 12-year-old boy). But seriously! She's like a human hourglass!

6:32: I say this every year, but I LOVE MARISKA HARGITAY!

6:47: Did you know it was hot in L.A. today? It's hot in L.A. today. Everyone is sweating. Ryan's sweating, that girl Kaley Cuoco is sweating ... CAN WE PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT ALL THE SWEATING???

7:08: What is with E!'s vampire obsession? Twilight and True Blood, I get it, I get it. Can we go back to the sweating?

7:27: Oh, Kristen Wiig. Such an unfortunate dress.

8:01: What a weird introduction. But here's Neil Patrick Harris singing!

8:03: "She could turn a gay guy straight ... oh, wait, there's Jon Hamm!"

8:12: I TOTALLY DO NOT GET THE GLASSES THING. Like, at all. What am I missing?

8:13: Aww, Kristin Chenoweth. She's cute.

8:27: Nice sweater vest, Jon Cryer. Funny first line, though!

8:35: Justin Timberlake wears glasses when he is SERIOUS Justin. (Not surprised about Toni Collette. OK, a little surprised.) (Second sad face in a row! First Rainn Wilson, now Mary Louise Parker! Usually they cover it up better.)

8:52: It is hard to type with Turtle Chex Mix on your fingers.

8:57: I am a sucker for a good little dance routine. I think Karina and Maks should go make out in a corner now and rekindle their romance.

9:00: Awww, Probst. I was going to rip on him for not wearing a tie, but it actually looked kind of disheveled/hot. And he gave a good speech. And he has really, REALLY great dimples. In fact, I'd like to take a bubble bath in those dimples now, please.

9:23: Dorky Emmy note: I like the way they've reordered the show by genre (all the comedy awards, then all the reality awards, then all the miniseries awards). I feel like it moves at a better pace this way. Added bonus: Since I know the miniseries awards are going to take up the next 20 minutes, I can pee and practice my fake acceptance speech with my borrowed Emmy in the bathroom mirror!

10:19: Drama montage. My friend: "If Friday Night Lights was on HBO, it would be nominated in every category." SO TRUE.

10:35: A belated yay for Michael Emerson and awww for Patrick Swayze, Bea Arthur and Co.

10:36: I am totally platonically spooning with Emmy on the couch right now.

10:50: Boooooo, I wanted Michael C. Hall to win. And I seriously think Jon Hamm was about to start crying, bless his heart.

10:58: What's with the Leno slam, Tina Fey? He didn't take your time slot!

11:01: Dexter or Lost, Dexter or Lost--booooooooooo. I have tried watching Mad Men. I have TRIED. And I JUST DON'T GET IT. It moves SO FREAKING SLOW!

And it's a wrap. Emmy and I are off to crash some very exclusive VIP parties (translation: read all the backstage gossip) ... happy Monday, everyone!

21 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger michelle said...

how cool! are her wings as scarily sharp as they look? of all the awards, i always thing of emmy as the bitch who will cut you! ;) i am looking forward to seeing neil patrick harris tonight ... love him ... and i am off work tomorrow, so i can watch the whole thing. yay!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

The wings ARE pretty sharp ... it is heavy, too!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Swoon. I have a friend from college who just returned to the area to teach at our alma mater, she won an emmy with her newsstation and holding it was awesome! Looking forward to live blogging!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Melek said...

i want to put Kristin Chenoweth in my pocket! she's so tiny and squeeky.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Melek said...

I <3 JT!! his hair is SO curly tonight! and yes, MLP looked really sad didn't she? loved whats-her-name's moustache.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

SO curly!! I had to rewind and watch Kristin's speech twice, she was so squeaky. I was like, wait, what did she say? Ha.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Melek said...

OMG, the woman who won the miniseries must be a carton a day smoker! did you hear her esophagus constrict every time she breathed in? wow.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Melek said...

man, there are some really unfortunate dresses here tonight. just looked thru eonline's red carpet pics....yikes. and why isn't this recipient (devilla something in the red dress) wearing a bra?? yikes.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

I TOTALLY WANTED TO GIVE HER AN INHALER!!!

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You're never going to speak to me again... I didn't know the Emmys were on. I'm watching the Giants beat the Cowboys. on purpose.

And umm what's up with Rainn Wilson? I missed that reference. Love the Emmy tour/prep :)

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

How do I not know about this Emmy friend. It's NEW friend right? And you always make me wish I watched tv!

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Melek said...

i'm so happy that Michael J Fox won!! i had such a crush on him from Family Ties.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Melek said...

Glenn close looks amazing!! And so did Sigourney.

Bryan Cranston was all teary-eyed. he's come a long way from Malcom in the Middle.

I guess I need to start watching Mad Men. Is it any good?

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

He is SO DIFFERENT from Malcolm in the Middle! Like a different person!

I tried Mad Men but I couldn't really get into it. I know some people love it, but ... not me.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Bravo Swish Bravo! I can't watch the whole hng but I'm not above judgung pics and reading the 411 (acually just yours)

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Karen said...

The pictures of your real life Emmy were even better than I expected! Although she seems a little high maintenance. PS: what was up with all the unfortunate dresses last night??!!!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger flea said...

i'm so jealous that you got to spend an actual day with a "real" emmy, like how freakin cool is that?! love all your pics of her

i might have watched a total of 5 min of the actual show so I can't really comment or join in on that aspect

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Angela Williams Duea said...

I don't even know half of these celebrities. I did recognize Emmy, though. Do you get to keep her?

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I watched the whole show and didn't know half of the people but loved it anyway.

I felt sorry for Jessica Lange. She won but her dress and her hair just didn't help her.

Thanks for posting more lately! Yea SWISHY!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Elle Charlie said...

You and Emmy had a fun filled night! Thanks for the commentary - I didn't get to watch but I feel like I'm all caught up. Next year can you post pics of the dresses on your blog? Then I'd only have to come here for my recap. As it is, I'm forced to go to People.com to ogle the fashion choices :)

P.S. Do you know I listen to the cd I won from your blog ALL THE TIME? I do.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

hahaha! I missed this post, somehow. Your emmy pictures are great. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home