Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, August 07, 2009

I still get goosebumps when I hear If You Leave

So I'm sitting at work clicking around when I see the AP news alert: John Hughes dead at 59. Immediately, I gasp, and the guy across from me is like, what? And I'm like, John Hughes. Oh, my gosh, this is so sad, John Hughes is dead.

He's only a few years younger than me, but he looks at me and is like, "John Who?"

You've got to be kidding me, I say. How do you not know John Hughes? He was, like, the DEFINING VOICE of adolescence for an ENTIRE generation. Every single movie you watch about kids in high school today, they learned how to do it (though not nearly as well) from John Hughes. Pretty in Pink? Breakfast Club? Some Kind of Wonderful? Sixteen Candles? JAKE RYAN? Every girl in the WORLD loves Jake Ryan! You HAVE to know Jake Ryan!

He gives me a little bit of a helpless look, and all I can say is, I feel so bad for you, because you have SO missed out.

I love all of the big ones, but my favorite John Hughes movie is Pretty in Pink. Oh, how I loved Pretty in Pink. I hated Blane, just hated him, for how spineless he was, and I was so proud of Andie for sewing up the pretty pink dress herself and going to the prom anyway. (Oh, and Annie Potts! How could you not love Annie Potts in that movie!) My heart broke into tiny little jagged pieces for Duckie, but that last scene still got me anyway. "If You Leave" in the rain ... gosh, I love that movie so much.

This story from the Washington Post five years ago remains one of my favorite stories ever. The headline: "Real Men Can't Hold a Match to Jake Ryan." First line: "Listen to all the Thompson Twins songs you want, but let's finally admit that Jake Ryan from 'Sixteen Candles' is never coming to get you."

No way. I refuse to believe it.

19 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger michelle said...

it makes me sad, too. john hughes is basically responsible for half of my psyche. i guess this is how it feels to get older ... the people who shape our lives start disappearing. :(

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

I know! I was so sad too! I have to say that my favorite Hughes movie is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. But there are so many to choose from!!

He was really young too!

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Barb said...

I was so sad about him as well. I always said nothing good could ever come from all that exercise.
Seriously, I think I have to go for 16 candles as my fav ~ just cause there are so many great quotes in that movie ~ and who could ever forget Long Duck Dong! But Pretty in Pink is a close second.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Beth said...

so sad! I love that movie too....duckie....ahhhhh.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

I have to agree that this is devistating. I didn't really care so much when MJ died, but John? Its just so sad. I think I've seen the breakfast club like 100 times, and several of times in school. You know a movie is quality when your teachers are showing it.

Maybe we will get to see a marathon of all his great classics.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Okay, I'm sorry, but I had to look him up. I had NO idea who he was, but I've seen all those movies they had listed! And only 59? What happened to him?

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I almost cried when I heard the news. I love love love Sixteen Candles.

You are right, he did shape a generation!

and I still think Jake Ryan will show up to pick me up in his red porsche.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Kids these days. They don't appreciate the good things.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

Jake Ryan.

Swoooooon.

I need to get Jon to sit on a table with me and kiss me over a birthday cake.

 
At 3:17 AM, Anonymous Jennie said...

Ferris! How can he not know John Hughes from Ferris Bueller? Seriously, people nowadays.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger shopgirl said...

I am so sad too! And I can't believe that guy didn't know who John Hughes was!! Sheeeesh!! Does he live under a rock??

So many movies to choose from - I don't have a favorite - I love them all!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I think I could lip sync the entire Ferris movie. But I'd never focused on who the director was. I guess he was never up for an Oscar because his movies weren't heavy but he should have been.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I refuse to believe their is no Jake Ryan out there too!

And I love that it was a straight man that created him! *sigh*

It is a sad sad thing.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

My parents were mean and so I didn't get to see all the movies I should have, but I saw enough John Hughes movies to recognize the genius -- and to empathize with an entire generation growing up. Ohhhh how I wanted to go to the Breakfast Club's high school. I only wish the movies we see today had half the intelligence his did. *sigh*

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Melek said...

you completely summed it up, Swishy. He was definitely the voice of MY generation. And my fav scene in any John Huges movie ever? Duckie lip-syncing "try a little tenderness" and how he won over Annie Potts with it.

They're doing a Mr. Pancake Theater (much like Mystery Science Theater) of Breakfast Club in Austin in a couple weeks. I'll have to go see it.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Jon B said...

He really was the voice for the generation....The Donger need food! How can someone not know who he is?!? Tis' a shame....

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Angela Williams Duea said...

I painted my head black in mourning.

Pretty in Pink is my favorite, too. I wanted to BE the Annie Potts girl when I grew up. Her apartment was wicked cool.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Totally echoing previous comments here, but HOW CAN SOMEONE BE OLD ENOUGH TO WORK AND NOT KNOW JOHN HUGHES?!!!!

It's sort of a requirement that anytime Jake Ryan's name is mentioned in front of a girl, she sighs dreamily.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

OK, I just read that article and now am going to dream of Jake Ryan tonight. BTW, anyone who watches Hannah Montana -- her love interest is named JAKE RYAN --- THEY STOLE OUR JAKE FROM US, and the Hannah Jake is a goofy dork.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home