Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, June 22, 2009

The ubiquitous Jon and Kate

So. I am about as sick of Jon and Kate as the next person (seriously, People magazine? TWO COVERS?), but of course I'm going to be glued to my TV tonight with the rest of the crazy people to see what their "big announcement" is going to be. I first watched the show during one of those marathons TLC loves to do about a year and a half ago. I was flipping channels and having kind of a sad day, and I ended up watching like three hours of it because it made me feel better.

I watched an old episode the other night, where Jon made everyone a traditional Korean dinner, and I couldn't believe how different it was then compared to now. They had a normal house, wore normal clothes, lived a normal life. Kate was less blonde, less tan, less toned, and Jon was goofy and a little clueless, and they just seemed happy.

It was so awkward watching the season premiere this year, because she's sooo pissed and he's sooo defensive and it is just really sad. I think when a relationship starts to crack, there's a natural tendency to want to go back and point out all of the reasons why it was flawed from the beginning, how the writing was on the wall, maybe because we don't want to admit how easily something good can turn into something bad. But you know what? They really WERE happy, and you can see it, just like you can see how unhappy they are now.

So I hope they don't announce that they're breaking up. I hope they announce that they're going to stop doing the show after the season, go away for a long time and just try to get their lives back. I don't really know if that's possible. I think sometimes there are Pandora's boxes in life and once you open them, it's really, really hard to close them again. But I sort of hope they can close theirs.

(Watch them announce that they're going to, like, go on vacation or something. That would be SO LAME. Hello, I am Swishy, and I am part of the problem. I know, I know.)

**********

Update: I am just about to watch the show, but I guess the news is already out. Sad.

11 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

My husband made me watch tonight because he'd read about it. First time either of us had ever seen it. And probably the last. They just seemed so ... ruined. And unhappy. And not focused on the right things. If they had said about/for "the children" one more time, ugh!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Bina said...

I was so sad for her!! She is so heartbroken, and he seems like "whatever". That poor woman. She really does care ONLY about her kids, and I'm tired of hearing about the crap from people, like, SO WHAT if she got her hair done? Who the hell cares what they get free, where they go, what they do, how much money they make, because it's for the kids! I've seen it enough to know that everything they (she) does is for those kids. They are so happy, well-adjusted, well-spoken, smart kids and how can anyone complain about that? Those kids are going to have their cars paid for, their colleges paid for, and probably their houses by the time this series is over, which I hope isn't for a VERY long time.

I wish people would just enjoy the show and leave Jon and Kate alone, ya know???

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I have to admit I don't watch this show -- I only saw one where they went on vaca to the same place I go -- but she seems waaaaaaay too concerned with getting: 1) attention, 2) free stuff. And way bossy.

I agree, I hope the show ends and those poor kids can try to have some semblence of a life!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Barb said...

She'll milk the money she's getting from the show as long as she can. I can't say I blame her for that though, it's a buttload of money. I've never been a fan of hers (too damn bossy) but love the kids and always feel sorry for Jon. I've watched for years but decided after last night's show, it would be the last one.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Yep, sad but true! I wrote a couple updates about it for betty:

http://www.bettyconfidential.com/ar/ld/a/Messy-divorce-for-jon-and-kate.html

http://www.bettyconfidential.com/ar/ld/a/Jon-and-kate-big-announcement.html

I never watched the trainwreck either until I saw a marathon. THey used to be soooo normal. Sad.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Oh, and I just saw an article today about ALL the free stuff they got--like a cow, the crooked houses, trips everywhere! Even some weird shit you wouldn't even expect were freebies ... too bizarre!

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger KATE said...

wow, it's all a little too much.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I agree with what you said about the Pandora's box...

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

I find it sad that peole put their kids before thier marriage. Its Jon & Kate plus 8. Not Kate, her children and this guy who is the father. I think people do need to take care of their children, but not at the extent of their spouce.

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Poor kids! I don't know if I can watch anymore...too depressing.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Beth said...

stop the show? Oh, I don't think Kate will ever let her meal ticket end like that! and ya, she seems sad, but it doesn't feel genuine to me. the only genuine person seems to be Jon, who is plainly HAPPY to be getting out of this marriage.

it's sad for the kids, cuz their whole lives have been on tv....what else do they know? sad.

and what about Michael Jackson girl???!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS CRAP???!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home