Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The great debate

Coworker A: I'm going to get a sandwich. Does anyone want anything?

No, thanks, we say. He leaves the room. He comes back a few minutes later and starts dialing the phone.

Coworker B: What is he doing?
I shrug.

A few minutes later, Coworker A hangs up.

Coworker B: Were you just ordering your sandwich?
Coworker A: Yeah, I don't like to wait. It's awkward.
Coworker B: Wait a second. You order ahead at, like, Subway? Places like that?
Coworker A: Yeah. I don't like to stand at the counter.
Coworker B: But to call ahead for ONE sandwich? Why? Who DOES that?
Coworker A: A lot of people do.
Coworker B: Really? How many? Ask them. Ask them when you go, how many people do that.
Coworker A: I'm not asking them that.
Coworker B: Why not?
Coworker A: I have no comment. This is a stupid conversation.

He comes back with his sandwich.

Coworker B: Did you ask?
Coworker A: No.
Coworker B: Why? Aren’t you curious?
Coworker A: No. Look, all I know is that if I hadn't called ahead, I'd still be standing there waiting.
Coworker B: That's a little bit of an exaggeration. (Pause.) It's just not NORMAL.
Coworker A: Whatever, like you would know what normal is.

Which segues into the latest topic du jour: Which person in the department is the most "normal." Somehow, I'm not even in the running, despite the fact that I'M not the one who just spent 15 minutes debating sandwich orders. Something about laughing too much ("not EVERYTHING is funny!" says Coworker B). Go figure.

15 Comments:

At 2:27 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

HA! My coworker Chrissy and I were just discussing how she laughed ALOT. Then she had to bring up something online about how many calories laughing burns.

So keep on laughing!

 
At 9:37 AM, OpenID theneatos said...

I have a minimum to call in and a maximum for drive thru's ... but, I know I am not normal!

And, I agree with Stephanie - keep on laughin!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Bina said...

I love having stupid, useless conversations at work and then laughing. It breaks the day up and makes it easier to have to be there!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Bina said...

By the way, I didn't even know you COULD call in an order to Subway.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Welllll I guess I can see why you wouldn't be in the running. But then again, I don't know who else you have in that little cuckoo's nest of an office. You may be winning by far ;) But ummm yeah. Weird to order just one sandwich. Pizza, I get. Sandwich? Uhhh no.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger shopgirl said...

Seriously? I want to work in your office - it sounds hilarious!!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

I get not wanting to wait, but its funny for one sandwich. doesn't he still have to wait in line to pick up his pre-order? Its not like it takes a long time to get a sandwich made at Subway.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Beth said...

HA!HA! laughing is GOOD!!!! Makes the world pretty.

XOXOXOX

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

They sound like fun. Is one of them cute?

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Do you love your job or what?!

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous stef said...

i am one of those people who order ahead, even if it's just for me. i hate wasting my lunch break by waiting if i don't have to. try faxing in your order to chipotle during the lunch rush and FEEEEEEL the gratification of skipping straight to the register to pick up your yummy burrito goodness instead of waiting in line.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I love when you share these funny conversations with co-workers. It is so good to find the humor it situations, you have a gift for it, and I mean this in a good way. Your posts always make me smile! I'm glad that you have a lot of co-workers who like to laugh and have fun. Makes for a much better work environment.
Hope all is still going well with your settling in.
XXXXXX

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

Ha! I think that is a bit odd to order ahead for one sandwich.

Laughter is gold. Sounds like you're one rich chica!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I'm not sure I'd shoot for normal in this crowd. Deviant sounds infinitely more sane :)

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

Why be normal?
No fun there ...
I just wanted to tell you that I read "Divorce Party" in two day ... oh my stars, I loved it!!!
I think I have a new favorite authors. Thanks a bunch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home