Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

I heart Laura Dave

Last summer, when I was trying to figure out what to do with my life and generally losing my mind, I started reading a book called London is the Best City in America by Laura Dave. I was sitting in a QDoba late one afternoon, reading that book, and burst into tears right there in the middle of my chicken nachos because it was just SO GOOD. It was the best kind of book, the kind where you want to read it as fast as you can but drag it out at the same time, so it won't end too soon.

Lucky for me, Laura's next book had just come out, so once I was done with London I promptly read that one too: The Divorce Party. My friend Allee and I have a little informal book club, where every time one of us reads a book we just love we make the other one read it RIGHT THAT SECOND so we can talk about it together. When Allee was in the middle of The Divorce Party, she said, "There are just so many great, true lines in there, I feel like I want to highlight half the book." I was like, I KNOW! Here are two of them from The Divorce Party (nothing that will give anything away, I promise!):

"She has learned, over time, that the way someone laughs often mirrors who they are. How they are."

(I liked this because I have one of those big laughs, those "I'm laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes" laughs. I hope instead of going, "Oh, my gosh, there she goes again" maybe people just think, "Wow, even though she can unleash a stream of expletives with the best of them when strange animals chew up her car, she sure does like life.")

and

"Love doesn't leave you. Not all at once. It creeps back in, making you think it can be another way, that it still can be another way, and you have to remind yourself of the reasons that it probably won't be."

So, so true.

The Divorce Party is out in paperback this week and is SUCH a perfect book to take on vacation. Here's the official book description:

On their 35th anniversary, Gwyn Huntington and her husband Thomas have invited friends and family to their Montauk home. Instead of celebrating their decades-long love, they are toasting their divorce. This also marks the weekend that their son brings home his fiancée, Maggie Mackenzie, for the first time. Maggie thought she was joining a perfect family, but she is about to reckon with some uncomfortable truths about the man she wants to marry.

A multi-generational story about what it means to share a life with someone, The Divorce Party brings us two immensely appealing women: Gwyn who is stumbling upon the end of her marriage, and Maggie, her future-daughter-in-law, who is trying to navigate the beginning of hers. With emotional candor and surprising humor, these two women find themselves trying to answer the same questions: Can you ever really know someone? When should you fight for the person you love most, and when should you begin to let him go?

Me again. I'm planning a vacation this summer full of nothing but beach and books. What other reading suggestions do you have? I'll pick one comment and send the winner a fun little package. Have a great day, everyone!

20 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Dana G. said...

You need to read anything by janet Evanovich. HONEST! You will laugh sooo hard and cry

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Allee said...

So funny--I just got back from lunch with Jayne and Michele and was talking about those very books! I'm convincing Jayne to take them with her on vacation next week instead of Ann Rynd.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I just started making a list of books to keep in my wallet b/c whenever I'm at Borders, I get overwhelmed! This is moving to the top of my list. Thanks! (PS: Does it get dorkier than wallet lists of books?!)

I really loved Dry by Augusten Burroughs. Its hilarious, and interesting, and even made me a little teary-eyed too. It's one of my modern day favorites.

And Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. And Stormy Weather by Carl Hiassen is the best beach book. (Sorry, I couldn't stop at just one!!)

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Have you read the Women's Murder Club, by James Patterson? There are 8 books i nthe series and you can get them all read while you are gone. I LOVE those books!!!!!

I'll have to read the Divorce Party. It sounds pretty good.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Jacki said...

Thank you for the suggestions! I have two weeks straight of business travel (translated to nights alone in hotel rooms) and need something to keep me occupied.

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous stef said...

i will definitely have to check out these books...i really need more fiction-readers in my life. :)

i would highly recommend anything by anna maxted - "running in heels" and "getting over it" are both excellent. also a great read is a book called "my best friend's girl" by dorothy koomson. it's a great book and has nothing to do with that movie that looks like it might be utter crap.

also. those books are all "chick lit" but not quite as vapid as some of them. and they're all set in the UK...not quite sure how that happened...

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Jillian said...

The Time Traveler's Wife is so good I can't stand it. I couldn't put it down. It was so good that I actually got the audio book so I could listen to it at work. This Is How It Happened (not a love story) by Jo Barrett (I think!). Very good. And, do not judge, Twilight if you haven't already read them.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I just finished The Bookseller of Kabul. So I need a lighter book.

I love Meg Cabot's Boy Series (The Boy Next Door) is my favorite. Sophie Kinsella's book Can You Keep a Secret is my go to book that always makes me laugh.

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger MJ said...

Jennifer Crusie. I have read all of her books that I can find, and honestly, they are PERFECT for lounging on a beach.

Faking It was the first one I read, and it won me over, but I highly recommend Bet Me.

Anyone But You is her most popular novel. It's great, too.

I'll be sure to check out Divorce Party. It sounds great.

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger sexy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Barb said...

My favorite book of all time is "Like Water for Chocolate." It made me laugh and cry and want to read it over and over. I also love anything by Carl Hiassen. He's got a very warped sense of humor I appreciate. For nonsense romance I read Jude Deveraux... and yes, I did read the Twilight series (started it when I was bored) and LOVED it!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

Hmm...
The last book I read was by Jane Kirkpatrick, called "A Flickering Light". It was a very different type of "love story". I'm not quite sure if it would qualify at a beach read though.

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous kristi said...

if you haven't already read them, something borrowed, something blue, and baby proof (all by the same author whose name i am blanking on) are great and so funny. also a book called
20 times a lady is one of the funniest books i have ever read.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger kim said...

"Dry", "Running With Scissors", "Magical Thinking" ,Augusten Burroughs -- even though they're full of heavy subject matter, they are still great beach reading. He's irreverent (to say the least), full of gallows humor and each chapter is a complete story with plenty of quotables.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

That SEXY person leaves comments on MY BLOG TOO!

I am going to read this one NEXT! I remember you are the one who RAVED about London and I'm so glad you told me about it cuz I heart Laura too! xo

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Betty said...

Well, you're awfully convincing. I'm going to check out Laura Dave.

I have no suggestions because lately I've been reading nothing but self-help. Self help has no place on the beach.

Hugs,
Betty

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Barrie said...

You've totally convinced me. I'm getting this book! Have you read: Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison. It is LAUGH-OUT-LOUD FUNNY!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm a week late, but ... I love seeing the suggestions. I'm going to have to pick these ones up. I'm assuming you've already read Twilight, right? And Steph had to have made you read the What If I Were Dead?... book that made me cry and cry in a good way. What about Sharon Kay Penman? Her books are always good reads.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous courtney said...

I love talking books. I added both of the books to my wishlist. They sound great.

Recommendations? Well, I second the Evanovich books. The numbered series, though, not her other ones. Youth In Revolt by C.D. Payne is SO funny. Jodi Picoult is good until the endings. She has issues with ending her books well. Kim Harrison writes a really awesome series called The Hollows. Hmm... lots of others, I just can't think right now!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

I just added the Divorce Party to my wish list!
I can't wait to read it!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home