Life comes back
I was at the bookstore today, looking at the cards, when I saw this one:
I don't feel like I've been massively depressed over the past six months or anything, but I DO feel like I've been in a little bit of a fog that I'm just now starting to shake off. I was standing in my bedroom today and I thought about the day I moved in, and I was like, wait ... Christmas has happened since then? January? February? Almost the whole month of March? Where was I when all that happened? I've done well at work and been present and all of that, but the rest of it is a little bit of a haze. I liked this card because it's like, no matter how crazy or sad or uncertain or challenging something is, life always comes back eventually and helps us feel normal and hopeful again.
I moved halfway across the country by myself once before--well, twice, I guess, if you count college--and this one has been easier in some ways and a little bit harder in other ways. Overall, I think it has gone OK, and the even better news is that I am starting to feel life coming back, like myself again. It's not all at once--I sometimes feel like I'm standing on one of those half-exercise balls, getting on, wobbling, falling off, getting back up, wobbling around some more--but I am getting there.
- My apartment. It's almost the way I want it. I wanted to scale back a little and not have things laying around that I never use, so I moved a bunch of stuff down to the basement storage (you know I can't TOTALLY get rid of it!). My favorite is the little dining area--I call it my nook. My friend teases me about it, he says there is nothing nook-like about it, it's just a regular dining area, but to me, it's my nook, and I adore it. It's the one place where I can sit and see the rest of the apartment, and I sit at the table by the window and listen to my music and work.
- My neighborhood. It is adorable, even more so when it is not buried under a foot of snow (funny how that works, huh?). I love the buildings and all the trees and the cute little shops. One of the guys at work told me about this pizza place right by me that is PHENOMENAL, so freaking good. Too good, probably, a thought that occurred to me as I sat there eating a slice or three in front of The Biggest Loser of all shows. (By the way, speaking of Biggest Loser, OH, MY GOSH, that Mike, he is cuter and sweeter than a whole basket full of puppies and babies. I LOVE that kid.)
- Coffee shop situation. I still miss my old place something crazy. I've been back to the birthday place once since then, and it was good, but I'm not totally, totally positive about it yet. I will probably go back sometime this week ... cross your fingers!
- Work. My schedule has been insane, which has not really helped in the adjustment department, but everyone has been SUPER nice, which HAS helped. I've fit in and gotten comfortable a lot faster than I expected, which has been a nice bonus. (I even pitched my first big fit a couple of weeks ago ... I really AM getting settled in! HA.)
- Working out. I have been horrible about working out and, consequently, my back feels like it belongs to a 90-year-old, so this week I am determined to be better. I've gone to the gym the last two days, which pretty much sets a 2009 record, sooo ... so far, so good.
- The boys. They are ridiculous. But that is a whole nother blog post.
- Book club. I've gone twice to the one book club. There are about a dozen girls in it, all around my age, all very nice. I'm not really sure how to be friends with any of them outside of the group, but for now it's nice to go out to dinner with a bunch of girls once a month and talk about a book and, oh yeah, Brad and Angelina and the crazy spinning instructor they know who has bedded half the women in his class and other fun things like that. There is another book club, but I sort of think it might fizzle out--everyone is just way, way (did I mention WAY?) too different. Awkwardly so.
- Completely off topic and unrelated to anything: I bought the cutest green trench coat today. I think we are in love.
That's about it for me! What's new with you?