Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, March 09, 2009

Birthday girl

That would be me, for just a tiny bit longer :)

I was stressing out a little bit about this birthday, not because I'm getting older or anything, but because I love birthdays and this one was kind of a big one and I'm in a new city away from most of my friends and it seemed like every time I tried to make plans, they fell through. I didn't really care what I did, I just wanted to have a good day. The past year has been so crazy and hard that I felt like if I had a good day, it would sort of symbolize more good days ahead, get things off on the right foot for the next year or something. I know that's sort of silly and neurotic and a lot of pressure to put on one day, but that's how I felt.

Would you believe it, I got one. More than one, even!

I spent the weekend in New York City and had a great time. I grew up not too, too far from the city, so I hate looking like a tourist when I'm there. But this time, I was like, screw it, I'm going to act like a tourist (much to the mortification of my brother) and it was SO fun. I walked around Times Square, ate Magnolia cupcakes and yes, oh, yes, I even went to the top of the Empire State Building, something I'd always wanted to do but had never done. You guys, I was so giddy about that, it was ridiculous. I LOVE Sleepless in Seattle. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. And, of course, you know me, once I got up there I started running around offering to take people's pictures and asking the security guys how many times they'd seen it and if they loved the movie as much as I did (I did mention how mortified my brother was, right?).



(Pretty! I know it's cheesy, but if someone proposed to me at midnight at the top of the Empire State Building, I would probably say yes just on principle.)

Today was my actual birthday, and everyone was just so nice to me. As you (and everyone else on the planet) all know, I have absolutely hated not having a coffee shop here. So the guys at work got together and decided to take me to lunch at this very cute place near where I live, a place I'd gone past but was a little intimidated by (it's a coffee shop, but it has waiters ... so CONFUSING!). It was great, and I don't want to get too carried away, buuuuut ... I think I might have a new coffee shop! I came home to a bunch of fantastic, thoughtful presents in the mail, including a brand-new friendship muse from my Manic, and tonight, another guy from work made me dinner and even sat through Dancing with the Stars with me. Not to mention, every time I went online, there were like five new happy birthday messages (thank you, Facebook!) and the phone was going like crazy all day.

My old friends didn't forget me and my new friends were so sweet to me even though they've only known me a couple months. It was a very, very good birthday. And, fingers crossed, the next year will be very, very good, too.

27 Comments:

At 6:13 AM, Blogger Barb said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful birthday!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

Aw, sounds like it was great. You deserve a great birthday!!! And I can't wait to see pictures of CIA agents in the new coffee shop.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Patti said...

happy happy day...late. man, new york, so good to be there for a birthday.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger flea said...

yay! happy belated birthday!!! so glad you had an amazing day

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger dragonfly said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Swishy!! So happy you had a good one & I can't wait to hear more about the new coffee shop!!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Trish said...

Oh my gosh, girl . . . HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And being in NYC is the best place to celebrate - love love love it :)

Great night time picture with all the twinkly lights.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Beth said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWISHY!!!!!

I didn't even know it was your birthday or I would have thrown you a party!

I'm so glad you;ve maybe found a new coffee shop...and what's with this "guy" watching tv with you? hmmmm????

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger JenKneeBee said...

Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had such a great one!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

So glad you had a great day!!! Did I know we shared a birthday? I think I did. Man, only really cool kids were born on March 9th...:)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Happy Late Birthday!!! I'm so sorry I missed it!

It sounds like you had a wondefully, fabulous time and I hope the new coffee shop works out and you start having lots of cool stories about it!

And, you got a GUY to watch Dancing With the Stars with you??? Lord! My husband won't watch it, so I don't even bother trying anymore.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Awww...Happy Birthday!!!! I know I'm a day late but I'll make up for it by predicting that you get proposed to next year on top of the ESB by a very dashing handsome man who is smart enough to read your blog for insight into the inner Swishy.

You heard it here first :)

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I love Sleepless in Seattle too! Am so glad you went to the top of the ESB finally. The image of your brother standing there while you ran around like crazy made me laugh.

Happy Birthday, Swishy! Have a wonderful new year.

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous courtney said...

Yay! Happy Birthday to you! You should add me on Facebook if you add non-real-life peeps. No offence taken if you don't. I'm Courtney Slavin. :)

 
At 10:31 PM, OpenID pinklea said...

Hi Swishy - I'm a new reader of your blog, but thanks to the miracle of archived posts, I think I'm pretty much up to date with your oh-so-entertaining exploits thus far. Wishing you a very happy birthday - and here's hoping that your real life WILL begin this year!

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Awww, Happy Birthday! And ummm Magnolias? I've missed this on my trips to NYC. dish!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger shopgirl said...

Happy Belated Birthday Swishy! Sounds like you had a good time! Anytime you need someone to "act like a tourist" with you in NYC, I'll be there! Love Love Love NYC!! Can't wait to hear all the new stories about your new coffee shop.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Andie said...

awww Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had a great day!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I know I talked to you AND IMed you on your special day, but here I am again to tell you HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

xoxo Hope you're still basking in your birthday glow!

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

And Happy Birthday from me, too!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like a very special day. There is no way on earth your friends could forget about your. In fact, I bet they would move the heaven and earth just to make sure you got your special treats. You deserve it!

I hope this coffee shop is right for you. Remember, when it comes to perfect coffee shops, you gotta go with your gut.

I just want you to know that I listen to those CD's every single day on the way to work. You have no idea how much I love them and what they do for my soul. Perfection. Thank you again. Esp. love, Waiting For My Life To Begin.
XXXXXXXX

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

Happy late birthday! I'm so glad you had a good day- you deserve it.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger michelle said...

i am a little late, but happy birthday to you! it sounds like you have a great group of work buddies ... finding you a coffee shop in which to spy upon possible secret operatives is an excellent birthday gift!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

aack I'm so late but happy belated birthday. Your NYC birthday trip kicks ass. Everything about that city makes me giddy.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Melek said...

congrats on a happy birthday! sorry i missed it. sounds like you had a good time tho.
the last time i went to NYC i got to go up to the top of the empire state building...it was the week they reopened it after 911. it was amazing and i was giddy too :)

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Jenster said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Every time I go to NYC I think I'm going to the Empire State Building, but I never do. Someday...

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Betty said...

I missed your birthday, but it sounds as if it went well! NYC is the perfect place to celebrate, for sure.

Yeah, I love Sleepless in Seattle too. It made me want to live in either Seattle or NYC.

Hugs,
Betty

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Vanessa said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Mine was March 1 and I love finding other Pisces friends! We have to stick together you know...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home