Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pampered princess

So I had a ROYALLY shitty week last week. (Don't worry, I'm fine now, it was just a no good, very, very, very bad week that made me hate practically everyone. But not now! Now I am overflowing with love and goodwill for all of mankind. I'm just telling you for context.)

Anyway. So: bad week. I was like, the next chance I get, I am having an ALL ABOUT SWISHY night so I don't a) end up sticking my head in the oven (which is electric anyway) or b) running over the poor little old lady downstairs in a fit of blind rage. So I ...

* Bought myself some tulips so I would have something pretty in the house that reminds me that spring is coming one of these (long, crappy, cold) days:



* Worked out for like the first time ever and read the new People AND Entertainment Weekly

* Had an at-home spa night in which I soaked, exfoliated, plucked, baby-oiled, Vaselined and lotioned my poor, sad, tired little body

* Baked delicious chocolate peanut butter cookies and ate like half of them in front of The Real Housewives of Orange County reunion AND the new episode of Real Housewives of NYC. Mmmm ... chocolatey bitchiness!

* Wasted a ridiculous amount of time reading Television Without Pity (big Bachelor scandal!) while listening to awesome music, which is like one of my favorite Zen-out things to do ever.

I am also trying to sort of enjoy the little things, which is kind of fun when I am in the mood for it. The other night, I was driving home from work when I went, oh, crap, I need to drop off a couple things at the post office. It was late, and it was raining, and I left the car running in the middle of the road while I ran over to the mailbox. And then I ran back and just ... stopped. There wasn't another soul around, and one of my favorite songs was playing in the car, and all of the light from the streetlamps was bouncing off the wet road. It was such a nice little moment. I stood in the middle of the road in the rain, listening to my song, thinking to myself, I can't believe how PRETTY it all is (and fortunately no one came along to run ME over).





So what's your favorite thing to do when you want to pamper yourself?

25 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger Dana G. said...

Watch reality TV. Nothing more, nothing less.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger kim said...

I think I may have to buy myself some tulips today as yours struck me as the perfect-- waiting for spring-- pick me up.

You are always funny, but you were extra funny today.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

A Sat afternoon in bed with a good book works for me.

Great photos!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

Doing many of the things you just mentioned -- pampering myself, buying flowers, reading, making cookies, taking the dog somewhere secluded and letting her run off her leash.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Patti said...

beach-umbrelly drinks-cabana boy.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Two things struck me here:

"Chocolatey bitchiness!"

and that whole thing about you stopping and just enjoying the moment in the rain -- TOTAL NOVEL SCENE! WRITE IT!!

OK, I lied ... another thing struck me ... WHAT SONG?

And of course, another thing ...

I MISS YOU SO MUUUUUUUUUCHHHH!

One final thought ...

I LOOOOVE YOU!!!

and one more ...

we haven't had a Swishy/Manic incident in FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the email. It was totally like a hug!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Awww...Swishy, even when you're bummed out you write great stuff (maybe that means you're supposed to be a writer...)

The Real Housewives help me escape/recalibrate. Pair that up with an episode of 18 Kids and Counting, and I feel oddly normal again, there in the middle of the extremes :)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I like to pamper myself by heading out in my car (mostly when it's nice outside, which maybe will happen *someday* here in Chicagoland), tunes cranked, searching for the perfect photo-op spot and then spending time - just me & my camera.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

That was really pretty! Glad you took the pictures.

So does vaseline really work?

I totally love that you bought yourself flowers, Tulips are awesome! I hate that Roses always try to steal the show.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger flea said...

most of the things you just mentioned will do it for me too.

I also love to just crank up some tunes and dance around the house and let it all out

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger J... said...

Just lounge. Doodle, write, surf, hop channels. It's all there for me. As long as it's all by myself with no "help" from the little people.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Sorry for your crappy week, but I'm so happy to hear that you pampered yourself. Good for you.

I want you to know that I listened to both of your amazing CD's on the way to work every am, they get me moving and make me so happy. Love them.

I pamper myself by going to the movies or reading. I can't seem to get near the tvs because the girls dominate them. I do love my People thou!

Hope your week is better.

XXXXXXXX

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous courtney said...

Good for you for doing your self-pampering. You totally deserve it.

Me? I like to go, get a giant hot chocolate and roam a bookstore for hours. If I'm really treating myself, I let myself spend some money there. If I don't have the time and/or money or I'm not child-free, I take a hot bath and read.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I love just sitting in front of the TV with a pizza. Yes, an entire pizza. :)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Elle Charlie said...

Those are great pics - thanks for sharing!

I'm glad you had some Swishy time - and bought yourself flowers - we all need to do that more often!

I am like you, I like the at-home spa stuff - shaving, plucking, baby-oiling, deep-conditioning, etc. (And now I have some new at-home spa products which you sent me - YAY!)

I also like to watch tv and read magazines and just sort of 'be' around the house. It's sometimes harder w/a husband around, but mine works late enough that I get those moments anyway :)

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Trish said...

fresh-cut flowers, a bottle of wine, and lots of nibblies does it for me.

Hope you have a better weekend :)

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

Sorry it's been a rough week. I'm having one of those too. Looks like you def know how to turn it around! And those pictures are awesome. Rainy city nights are gorgeous

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Chocolately bitchiness totally cracked me up too! Love the tulips.

I usually climb into bed with a strong drink and watch dvds! Haha, that sounds so lame-o, but it totally works.

Hope this week continued to be leaps and bounds better!

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Barrie said...

I like a hot bath with expensive product. And maybe a movie playing on my laptop on the chair next to me. And a glass of wine. And licorice. That about sums up my pampering routine!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Bath, wine, book, chocolate (singular but GOOD) and Q.U.I.E.T. Or a full day massage, mani/pedi, facial with a good haircut to top it off. But I've done that like ummm once. That whole two small children thing, ya know?

So what was your song?

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger shopgirl said...

Wow - those tulips would have done it for me! I LOVE tulips and those were PRETTY!!

I love to pamper myself too when I'm in a crummy mood. I usually go for a long walk with my dog with my iPod cranking and then come home and curl up with a good book.

Sorry you had a crummy week - glad you're feeling better!!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Bina said...

That is the coolest thing! How great that must have been to just stand there in the rain. Beth and I used to walk in the ran all the time. We LOVED it!

Pamper myself? That might include buffing my toe-nails, but other than that, I don't. I need to start doing more of it, that's for sure!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Jacki said...

Nice pictures!
I bought tulips last week for the very same reason. This week I think I'm going to have to buy a new book to lift my funk.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

This time of year I buy fresh flowers every week. Daffodils are $1.99 a bunch and tulips $2.50. Beats a Starbucks to get my spirits up.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

Oh, I love those pictures you took in the rain!

I love to do the things you do to pamper myself. TWOP is free therapy. Love. It!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home