OK, so a couple of weeks ago I was reading stuff online and I found this story revealing the No. 1 beauty product British women can't live without. If I'd tried to guess what it was, I would have said Maybelline Great Lash mascara because everyone seems to love it (although, personally, I don't get it at ALL). But no, it wasn't mascara. It wasn't concealer or powder or even Chapstick. It was VASELINE. Vaseline!
So of course I had to scroll down and read all the comments, because I was like, what on earth are all these women using Vaseline for? I knew the foot trick (slather your feet in Vaseline, wrap them in plastic wrap, put on a pair of socks and sleep that way) and the lip trick (although I've always done it with Carmex), but apparently people use Vaseline on their face! And under their eyes! To take off makeup! To ward off wrinkles! To make their eyelashes longer! (Seriously, I went to makeupalley.com too, and people really swear it does that.) It turns out Tyra Banks is a massive Vaseline devotee--she even gave it away on her show (and looked crazy doing it, but whatever). I am WAY too scared to use it all over my face (although the stories of women who used it their whole lives and died without a single wrinkle tempt me more than you know) but I think I might test it out on the sides of my eyes to try to scare away crow's feet.
I am a COMPLETE sucker for this kind of stuff. I'm not, like, super high-maintenance or anything (I went to work three days in a row last week without washing my hair, how high-maintenance can I be?) but I still just LOVE it. I love the little tricks and cheap, fun things you can do and all of it. So, in honor of Miss Tyra's Vaseline, here are some of my "Vaselines", the fun, cheap little beauty products in my closet:
* Baby shampoo. I wash my hair with it every once in a while because it acts like a clarifying shampoo (getting rid of product buildup) but it's also obviously super gentle so it won't mess with hair color. I use it to hand wash my bras, too, and no, I am totally not kidding. It works like a charm. Plus it smells sooo good!
* Baby oil. Nothing in the world gets eye makeup off like a little bit of baby oil on a cotton ball. I also dump it on after I take a bath and it makes my skin super, duper soft.
* Baby powder. I pour some in my palm, rub my hands together, then lean over and put it on the roots of my hair when I don't feel like washing it. It soaks up all the oil and gives the hair a little lift. (Important note: It helps that I'm blonde. I wouldn't try it on dark hair unless you want to look like the dandruff fairy visited you in your sleep.)
* Hair gel. But I don't use it in my hair, ohhh, no. I put the teeniest, tiniest bit on my finger and swipe it across my eyebrows. I don't have crazy, crazy eyebrows, but it just makes them look better.
* Aspirin. Crush it up, mix it with a little water and put it on a zit until it dries. The pimple won't totally disappear, but it'll get smaller and go away faster. You can also mix up some aspirin with Cetaphil or aloe vera gel and make an exfoliating mask for your face.
* Lip/eye liner. I totally cheat sometimes by lining my lip and then putting clear gloss or Carmex over it instead of lipstick (Wet and Wild liner No. 666 is awesome for this, and it's 99 freaking cents). I'll also sometimes use an eyeliner over my whole eye instead of eyeshadow--it takes like two seconds and you can't really mess it up. (Just dust it with powder so it doesn't rub off.)
What about you? (And DO you use Vaseline? What do you think? I am BEYOND fascinated by that!)