Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's a holiday extravaganza!

Good news: I did not get buried alive under the alleged 18 FREAKING INCHES OF SNOW we got over the weekend (although I did manage to get myself sort of stuck in a snowdrift on the way home from work on unplowed roads. Thank you, random person who pulled over to help me, subsequently got frustrated at my steering and personally took over the wheel while I stood in the snow and watched!)

Good news: Even though I continue to boycott winter by stubbornly refusing to wear proper cold-weather attire, I have not cracked any limbs slipping while walking on icy sidewalks in heels. Yet.

Good news: I finally cleared away a ton of crap in my apartment. I have the random box scattered here and there, and the whole place is still a little bit of a mess and my schedule is still COMPLETELY jacked but ... I can see my bed again! So I'm getting there. 2009 will TOTALLY be the return of Swishy and random coffee shop sightings, you can take that to the bank and get it turned into quarters.

In the meantime, it's time for a very overdue contest. I planned a sentimental "Goodbye to TRL" post a few weeks ago, but you know ... moving, unpacking, sucking at life, blah blah blah. TRL, for those of you who had better things to do 10 years ago than watch MTV (anyone?), was the show that gave Carson Daly his big break and at least partially was responsible for launching Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, 'N Sync, 98 Degrees, Hanson, Christina Aguilera ... you know, all the great musical acts of the latter part of the 20th century.

Anyway, my friend and I used to watch TRL EVERY DAY back in the day. They would replay it at 9 p.m. and we'd sit in front of the TV and say things to each other like, "How old do you think Britney Spears really is?" or "Nick Lachey is the hottest boxer EVER!" while we ate ice cream in our PJs. It's one of the fondest pop culture memories I have, and believe you me, there are many.

No one's watched TRL in like eight years, including yours truly, but it ended a couple of weeks ago, and in its honor, I made a very special TRL CD that I will be giving away to a very special commenter (or two or three) during this very special holiday season. Listen to it and be instantly transported to a kinder, gentler time in American history, a time when Britney was still dating her soulmate Justin, when Christina was just a genie in a bottle, when Fred Durst was doing it all for the nookie. It's a POP CULTURE TIME CAPSULE!

But wait! That's not all! I'm also finally going to give away a CD for this post (which means, go add a song and maybe it'll get on there since I haven't made it yet!). That's not one, but two CDs, plus maybe, just maybe, a fun holiday goodie or two thrown in.

See? I am not SUCH a loser blogger! I'll draw a couple names at the end of the week. Have a great holiday, everyone!

31 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger DeeMarie said...

I used to watch TRL all the time. I actually have an old friend who got engaged live on the show!! Fun contest!!!!! Pick me, pick me!!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Grammar Geek said...

You know, I don't think I've ever seen an episode of TRL. I've heard about it, seen other shows that made fun of it, but they don't air it here in Canada. *pout*
Because I totally would have been there in my pjs eating ice cream with you while you watched it.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I know you're gonna be soooo mad at me for saying this...BUTTTT, I've never watched TRL. Sorry! I just don't like Carson!!!! I've seen little bits and pieces of it...esp. the Mariah part!!!!! But I just don't like Carson. I mean, COME ON!!!! he was ENGAGED to Tara Reid!!!!!

Merry Christmas Swish!

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger shopgirl said...

Yea! You're back! And sister - I'm with you - I don't care how cold/icy it is - DAMMIT I'm wearing my CUTE death defying high heeled boots and risking the injury! Hey - I still have a job with insurance! I'm living on the edge. I didn't watch TRL as much as I watch Club MTV - oopsie - I think I just showed my age - oh well - glad you're back and what a fun contest!!

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous stef said...

i saw TRL once...there was a guy with a mullet on talking about how he loved this girl and...waitaminnit! that was "joe dirt"! okay, so i've never seen TRL. also, i don't listen to the radio and haven't since probably 1998. (except the last 4 months i spent in scotland, where i listened to bbc radio 1, which is decidedly NOT clearchannel.)

so...yeah. i'll get in on that contest. because i'll probably have no idea what the songs are, and, like counting crows were for you, i may actually like them NOW as opposed to when i would have heard them on the radio.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger ballerinatoes said...

I was so into TRL during the Kid Rock "Cowboy" and Limp Bizket era.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger J... said...

That just seems like sooooo long ago now. Where on Earth has the time gone? Is it all stored up somewhere and we just can't find it? Can you even imagine walking into a cave and finding...TIME!!! Now that would be the best Christmas gift like ever!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I used to watch TRL all the time too. I'd look out for my favorite cute boys and get all googly over them. LOL

doesn't it feel like it was SO LONG ago?

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

I was an avid TRL watcher and did watch the last show (even tho like you didnt watch it for the past several years). It was a good time.

Glad that you can see your bed!

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

You have a good one too Swishy!

~~~pick me~~~

sending vibes.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

Oh please pick me! I loved TRL. Well, a few years ago I loved TRL, I'm sure I still would have, just been insanely busy like everyone else.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

And of course, I forgot, Marry Christmas!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger kim said...

I'm old. Carson is a twit. Please don't fire me from your blog.

Merry Christmas!

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I was obsessed with if Backstreet or Nsync would be number one on TRL. I was so lame.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Kristabella said...

I don't think I ever watched TRL. But I'm a few years older than you, maybe that is why?

It's weird because I still have Britney and Justin, etc. in my iPod.

Happy Holidays Swish!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Monnik said...

Am I lame because I've never seen TRL??

Must not be since some of the commenters are in the same boat.

Merry Christmas Swishy!!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Were you alive when MTV's REMOTE CONTROL was on TV? NOW THAT WAS A CLASSIC!!!

Do I get to enter???

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger cubmommy said...

Merry Christmas!!!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Is it sad? I've never been a tv watcher, so I have never seen TRL, although apparently I like much of the music they played (did they play music? the talk of engagement totally has me thrown).

And one more to add to the life changing one: Unbelievable by EMF.

Oh, and can I just complain that my crappy prom theme was To Be With You from Mr. Big. I was pissed off by it then, and I still am today.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I use to watch TRL a lot. Not so much in the past few years, too crazy with work, wifehood and motherhood.

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas. Sending you hugs and lots of joy.
XXXXX

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Betty said...

I didn't watch TRL- too bad- it seems to be right up my alley!

I'm so glad you're not a blog slacker anymore. I have become one, because I'm now on a committee for work that is taking up ALL of my time. I've been just a little overwhelmed and not sure what to do about it....

I enjoy trying to figure what city you've moved to, and with all that snow, I'm thinking Boston. We had an ice storm here this past week, and of course I was walking downtown in heels and a skirt, totally inappropriately, and the most gorgeous guy on earth ran up to me and offered his elbow. it's a shame that I happen to be slacking on my blog right now.....

Hugs,
Betty

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Merry Christmas Swishy Girl. I loveloveLOVE you!!!!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Trish said...

You are so NOT a loser blogger.

Merry Christmas Swishy girl

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

I was never supposed to be watch MTV as a "kid", but I was homeschooled and whenever my mom left the house, it was the first thing I turned on. I love those days of hoping your favorite song was #1.

The weather here is so nice, I have my back door open to let in some fresh air. At least you had a white Christmas.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Oooooh, would we call Hanson a 'great musical act'? I'm with you on the 98 Degrees train of though though. Question: are all the songs on the cd TRL Retirees?

Happy Holidays Swishy! Hope 2009 is even better than 2008 :)

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I loved TRL. It seemed like the height of independence for me to watch it, since my Mom had never ever let us watch MTV when we lived at home.

I even liked Carson--he just seemed like an easy going kind of guy.

PLEASE pick me for the CD??!! :)

(And yay for 2009 and the return of Swishy!)

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

Was back in Michigan and discovered that sensible shoes really could come in handy. Alas- I didn't have any. Hope your holidays were great

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Elle Charlie said...

Glad you are finally settled in your new place! Heels in snow and ice - are you crazy, lady? I pray for your safety! Heels add to your height, meaning your ass just has a longer way to go before it hits the ground! Ouch. Walk softly and carry a donut pillow.

 
At 1:01 AM, Anonymous courtney said...

TRL was great back in the day. I guess it's just one of those things that falls victim to time. Much like Britney Spears and Fred Durst. Although I still like Britney Spears. As embarrassing as that as.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Barrie said...

Happy New Year, Swishy! I'm assuming you're fine and not stuck in another snowdrift. :)

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger sexy said...

A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片情趣用品,情趣,A片,AIO,AV,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,AIO交友愛情館,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,一葉情貼圖片區,情色論壇,色情影片,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人貼圖,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天

麻將,台灣彩卷,六合彩開獎號碼,運動彩卷,六合彩,線上遊戲,矽谷麻將,明星3缺一,橘子町,麻將大悶鍋,台客麻將,公博,game,,中華職棒,麗的線上小遊戲,國士無雙麻將,麻將館,賭博遊戲,威力彩,威力彩開獎號碼,龍龍運動網,史萊姆,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆第一個家,史萊姆好玩遊戲區,樂透彩開獎號碼,遊戲天堂,好玩遊戲,遊戲基地,無料遊戲王,好玩遊戲區,麻將遊戲,好玩遊戲區,小遊戲,遊戲區,電玩快打,cs online情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,A片,AIO交友愛情館,AIOAV女優,AV,A漫,免費A片,本土自拍,自拍,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,色情影片,情色網,色情網站,微風成人區,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人文章,成人小說,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,中部人聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,苗栗人聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,一葉情貼圖片區,情色論壇,色情影片,色情網站,微風成人區,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人小說,A片,AV女優,AV,A漫,免費A片,自拍,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,做愛,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,AIO,色情影片,情色網,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人小說,成人電影,麗的色遊戲,自拍,A片,AV女優,AV,A漫,視訊交友網,視訊,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,中古車,二手車情色貼圖,日本A片,A片下載,情色A片,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,微風成人,成人網站,成人光碟,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人影城A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人光碟

 

Post a Comment

<< Home