Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I probably think this song is about me

When I was getting ready to move, people were like, oh, that's sad, we're going to miss you, and I was like, nah, I'll be back all the time. And they were like, yeah, yeah, whatever, everyone says that, and I was like, no, you don't understand ... I cannot HANDLE finding a new hairdresser. I WILL be back.

So. Guess where I am right now. Ha ha ha ha.

I flew in this morning (I went to bed at 4:30 and got up at 6!!! The lengths I go to to get rid of split ends!!!). I'm hanging out with my friends, getting my hair cut tomorrow and then flying back early Friday in time for work. My coworkers think I am absolutely certifiable, but in my defense, I DID have an airline credit I had to use and I DO want to see everyone, so it's not TOTALLY totally crazy. Just a little crazy. And I'm sorry, but moving and getting settled and making new friends and learning a new job is emotionally taxing enough, I can't throw a bad haircut in there on top of it. How much emotional trauma and upheaval do you expect one girl to handle???

Go ahead, make fun of me, I don't care. But listen, I had permed hair in middle school. I had horrible teased bangs. I had hair dye attempts gone terribly wrong in college. I have had a LIFETIME of bad hair. It's time to end the cycle, even if that means getting on a plane on an hour's sleep to get my hair cut by the girl it took me three, yes, THREE YEARS to find after I moved here.

(The big question is what I'll do two months from now when I DON'T have an airline credit. It'll be like Sophie's Choice. Swishy's Choice, today on the Lifetime Movie Network!)

Almost as exciting, guess where I am RIGHT THIS SECOND. That's right, my coffee shop, and it's like I never left. My booth was here waiting for me, the great CDs that were playing two months ago are still playing and the chocolate chip cookies taste exactly the same.

Ahhhhhhhhhh. All I need is the CIA agent.

24 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger AlaneM said...

Oh I SO hope you see your CIA man before you leave.
And I understand about the hairdresser thing. My sister does my hair & has for over 15 years. For the last 4-5 of those I have been driving over 100 miles to get my hair done. The hubs would never go for it except that she does it for free & I can argue I need sister time :)

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

I completely understand! Enjoy your time at home hanging out with friends and being at your coffee shop!

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Candy said...

there is nothing like familiar territory.

seriously.

((and I am currently sporting the WORST perm on the face of the earth right now. I think I was drunk when I did it. just sayin...))

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger House of Jules said...

How exciting! I love airline credits, as long as I got them by choice and not by force. :) Hope you're settling in well... can't wait to hear more about it!
Jules
House of Jules

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Yeah for you Swishy! I'm so glad you did this, you owed it to yourself. I totally get it and am so proud of you for giving yourself this wonderful gift. Hope your hair turned out great!
XXXXXX

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

OH MY GOSH I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE THERE AND I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE GOING HOME!!!

I WOULD DIE IF CIA GUY CAME IN!! ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY DIE A THOUSAND DEATHS BECAUSE IF HE CAME IN THAT WOULD MEAN YOU WOULD HAVE TO MARRY HIM!!!!

Did the chick behind the register give you a huge big hug? And are you seeing Allee? Man, I even MISS ALLEE!!!!!

So, the boys MUST be thinking you are the biggest whack-job in the entire world, but hey, if Emily Giffin goes from Atlanta to NY to get her hair done, you can do your trip to get your hair done!

I think that's way cool.

I just do not understand how you are surviving on the amount of sleep you've been getting you crazy gal!

xo

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Allee said...

She's at my house, Manic!!!! It's like she never left.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Beth said...

day-um girl!!!! Ok Ms. Trump!!! ;) Angelina and Brad aint got NUTHIN on you honey!!!!

But hey, when you find someone who cuts your hair the way you WANT it cut..you gotta do what you gotta do!!!

xoxoxox

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger dragonfly said...

I'm totally with you on the hair stylist. I've had mine for 10 years now and drive an hour to see her. I'd just die if I lost her!

Have fun back on your old stomping grounds!! Maybe the CIA guy will show up and ask where you've been. :)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I drove and/or flew back to Maine to get my hair cut for six years after I went away to law school. I understand your logic. And economically, it's actually cheaper to spend a little more to get a great cut than the fortune you'd spend on "product" trying to make a cut you don't like work.

Frequent Flyer Swishy is better than Swishy's Choice.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Wow! You're back? In the coffee shop? Come on CIA man! Get moving!

And considering I haven't found a decent hair dresser since I left Hawaii in 1991, I can totally sympathize. I can't find anyone WHO knows what to do with my curly hair.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger kk said...

When I left Boston for CT I STILL went there to have my brows waxed...I just couldn't bring myself to trust anyone else...I was too afraid I'd end up having to draw in my brows with eyeliner!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I drove 2 1/2 hrs each way to get my hair done after we moved from Tampa to Melbourne. Took me forever to find someone to do it right and I didn't want to loose that!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger The Gang's All Here! said...

Ooooooh, did he show?! I was just thinking the other day about how much I missed your posts about him. Sad, I know. Changing diapers and folding laundry apparently gives me much too much time to think.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Kristabella said...

Dude, if you were going to be there this weekend, I totally would have driven down!

I drive 50 miles one way to get my hair done. So I can understand. Slightly.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous courtney said...

How long of a flight is it? I think it's fine! Just don't go broke for your hair!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Did the CIA man show? I worry about him sitting there drinking coffee every day and wondering where you are...

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

Damn. The CIA agent wasn't there to sweep you into his arms and ask where you've been???

This post's title made me snort. ;-)

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Melek said...

i think i'd fly back to my hairdresser too if i ever had to move. i had a friend who moved and she flew back 5 or 6 times for the first year to get her hair done.... hair is your most important accessory! you gotta do it up right.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ha! I gave up on truly good hair. I just go to the local aesthetician's school where the teacher finishes me up each time. Hey, for $8 I can't complain, right? (Please tell me right) And I so get going back for just a short time like that. You gotta do what you gotta do -- so, how was the rest of the trip? I hope we get a pic of the haircut!

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger XYZinn said...

That is so FUNNY because I do the same thing! Maybe not that extreme, but when we moved I still drive almost an hour to my old hairdresser. Now, however, I found one in Seattle, which is either a 4 hour drive or a 1 hour flight. I don't care. You can't put a price on beauty. :)

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Bina said...

Okay, so where are you!!!! And how did the hair turn out???

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm glad you were able to jet back. I hope it was a great trip and that you got a glimpse of CIA man - that would be awesome

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger kim said...

I love this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home