Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Updates, updates

Helllllllo! Hello, hello, hello! I have been a little blog slack-y but I am getting into a little bit better routine now, so things should start (finally) getting back to normal. Until I move into the new place and have to unpack, at least. Which leads me to ... my apartment update!

Well. Well, well, well. You should all know that I'm totally laughing right now, even though I'm a little stressed out about the whole thing, just because this is SO LIKE ME. I definitely want to live in the cute neighborhood, but I could not stop thinking about how small that apartment is. It was not "I'm being a princess" small, either. It really was SMALL. Also, the landlord was being SO pushy it made me start to think maybe there was something shady going on. I went to fill out the application for the credit check, thinking it would buy me at least another day, and he wanted me to sign the lease and write him a check for the deposit RIGHT THAT SECOND, even before he submitted the application. I was like, um, I'm kind of in a rush right now, but I'll come back later. And he was like, we have to do it TODAY. I will come to you and meet you in two hours so we can do it TODAY.

So this is what I did. I called my new co-worker (who lives in the neighborhood, and also, by the way, has an apartment he calls small that is WAY bigger) on the verge of tears, and then my friend Allee in full-blown tears, and both of them told me the same thing: DO NOT LET HIM PUSH YOU INTO ANYTHING! So I made up another lie and left a message with his secretary saying I couldn't meet him because I needed to measure my furniture to make sure everything would fit before I signed anything. (Is that a lame lie? I think maybe it is. I am a terrible liar. But I'm also a little non-confrontational and he was a little scary, so a lame lie it was.)

Anyway, I spazzed about it at work all day, and they were like, look, whether it's a good place or a bad place, you do not want a jerk as a landlord. Which is true. I thought for sure I would get an irate phone call from him, but I haven't heard anything. So I guess that's good, maybe he's rented it to someone else. On the other hand, maybe he took my social security number off my application, opened several credit cards in my name and bought himself some coke and hookers over the weekend.

These are the things that keep me up at night.

So here is the status. Two more apartments have opened up on that street and I'm going to check those out. They're not much bigger, but they are bigger (with fireplaces), and hopefully not managed by a pushy madman. Also, I looked at another apartment for the second time. It really is a good place. It's two blocks closer to the heart of the neighborhood (like a five-minute walk from everything), big and open with a brand-new kitchen and cabinets and windows plus A GARAGE. It is insane that it has a garage, and even more insane than that is the thought of NEVER, NOT ONCE, HAVING TO SCRAPE MY WINDOWS THIS WINTER! However, it's also, like, $150-250 more a month than the other ones. I can probably afford it, but it is sort of the principle. Do you know how many sweaters I can buy at H&M for $200? How many extra cable channels I can get? A LOT.

BUT! I sort of have a plan. Here is my plan. The guy wants first month, last month AND a month security deposit. AND he wants to start the lease November 15, with the money for that up front, too. So 3 1/2 months rent when you sign the lease. I think that is asking A LOT, especially in this economy. So! I might say, OK, fine, but if you're getting all of that up front, I want something up front, too ... like a discount on the rent. It doesn't have to be a HUGE discount, but 50 bucks a month or something to knock it into a lower category so that psychologically I feel better about the whole thing. Or the rest of November free. Something like that.

Maybe that is a dumb plan. I asked him when I saw it again if the price was firm and he said "pretty firm" ... but I might try it anyway.

OK. In other news ...

I love that I can make the grumpiest person in my department laugh, and how amazed everyone is when it happens.

I don't love that I've locked myself out of my hotel room four times now, and that on the fourth time they had no keys left for me. (HA.)

I love that the guys at work let me be the only girl at their boys' night out. And I love that they already have a nickname for me (even if it is YENTA! Ha ha ha ha ha).

I don't love that I have the worst cable in the history of bad cable. I am starting to feel it in a BAD way, let me tell you. It's NOVEMBER SWEEPS. I keep trying to watch shows online, but the tradeoff of having a good corner room is having a bad Internet connection, so I can't watch video. It's an issue. A big one.

I love that I do have Showtime, at least, so I can watch Dexter.

I love that the band at an Irish pub I went to the other night all of a sudden broke into La Bamba (random!) and every single person in this tiny little bar started dancing and singing every word of it at the top of their lungs.

I don't love how much I miss certain things about home, especially on my days off.

I love that you are all so totally awesome, the best, funniest and smartest people ever. Have a great day, everyone!

23 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Somehow I had a feeling that the apartment decision wouldn't be *quite* made yet. But hey, you're going to live there for a long time so make the right decision. Oh, and TOTALLY ask for discounts. What's he going to say "sorry because you asked for a discount now I won't rent to you and you've been blacklisted in the city"? I didn't think so.

 
At 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"pretty firm" sounds like you should try to dictate reasonable terms to him. $50 a month less is reasonable; $100 a month less probably is unreasonable. but $100 or $150 a month more than that other place completely sounds worth it based on your accounts of the two places (and the two landlords). you gotta like where you live. people who say who cares, you won't spend any time there, are missing an important point. you start and end your days there. invaluable if they start and end well, or even just well enough.

very nice that you're making friends at work. you are such a natural.

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger House of Jules said...

So psyched for you in every way! As for the November sweeps, it's the perfect opportunity to spend more time w/ your new friends. Find out who watches what, and invite yourself over on show nights. Seriously.

I'm totally with you on the apartment thing. Finding one with a garage is fantastic, and asking for $50 off/month is a great idea. I'm glad you're not taking that other place, the landlord sounds like a real jackass.
Jules
House of Jules

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Crazed said...

AWE... I miss you so much! I am a little stressed too! Internet issues are taking me to the brink. Thanks for talking to W last night. I was in the middle of a mommy and J swim lesson. I am so glad they talked you down from a pushy, crazy landlord.Okay... I will call you later!!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Hally said...

Good for you! You don't want to be with the pushy landlord. What if something broke in that apt and you had to deal with him to fix it? Ask for the $50 and see what the new landlord says.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Trust your gut, that landlord sounds creepy. Too pushy! You Need to be in a place where you feel totally safe and comfortable. I know that place will come, I know that for sure. I'm so happy to hear that you are finding so many positive things about your new move, smile. That should help so much when the pangs of homesickness hit. Swishy, you will do well, be loved, have fun no matter where you live. Remember, you have us here cheering you on.
XXXXXXXXX

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

Aw... we love you too!

i agree with anon. 'Pretty firm' means you should negotiate the $50/month off.... I think you can do it.

Sounds like you're fitting into the new place nicely. We all *knew* that you'd be loved wherever you go!

(Now I have that Maroon 5 song She Will Be Loved stuck in my head...)

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger dragonfly said...

Okay, the tiny apartment landlord sounds a little scary-controlling. I think I'd pass. The one with the garage, though, Great!

Looks like you're fitting into the new job/location pretty well. And Irish Pub bands singing La Bamba (with total pub accompaniment)? Fun!!

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OR.. you could start at $75 or $100 and 'settle' for a $50 discount - just a thought :)

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger kk said...

sounds like things are looking up!

keep hanging in there!

(and a garage???? that is awesome!!!)

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU so much, everyone! (And anon, good point.) You are all so good to me ... thank you! I'll let you know what happens ...

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Yay for updates! I've missed your blogging! As for the landlord and the fixed price, EVERYTHING is negotiable! And the first landlord who wanted you to sign that day -- sounds like you made the right choice.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Candy said...

aww. thanks for the update. YOU have been missed.

i think it's important to just live wherever YOU'RE HAPPY....right?

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

On the other hand, maybe he took my social security number off my application, opened several credit cards in my name and bought himself some coke and hookers over the weekend.

These are the things that keep me up at night.


So glad I'm not the only paranoid person that worries about these things! HA!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Beth said...

oh Swish...you sound a little better each time....and "pretty firm" sounds to me like"I'll know $50 bucks off for you"!!!! Go for it!!! Wheel and deal!

and if it was me, Ii'd forgfet the jerky landlord and try one of the other apartments in the same cute neighborhood.Dexter is so cute....and such a cool serial killer!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger TheReno5 said...

Swishy, we so need to catch up!! Will you email me your new info? You can email me at writer_claudia@yahoo.com.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Wow you are really getting to know the town this way, the right one will show up..though gargae also means place for washer and drier usually, plus the no ice thing or trudging in snow to get in or out of the car to your house.

And of course they love you at your new office, we love you and we don't even get to see you in action.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

YENTA? That's funny stuff. I think you're going to be just fine in your new world :) And the apartment thing will work out!!!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Jenster said...

Yenta!!! You're not binding yourself, are you????

I think your plan for the apartment is brilliant and I say you definitely give it a go!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Bina said...

I absolutely, would not, EVER sign anything or live anywhere that a shady man was pushing me in to. I mean, he could have hidden cameras in the bathroom and spare key that he uses to sleep in your bed and shower in your bathroom when you aren't here!

DON'T TO IT!!!!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

a 7 outta 10 baby! A 7! You are sooo good! Luv ya! xoxox

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I can see you have a more recent posting but I wanted to read things in order. I'm so hoping you go w/ the big apt with a garage. You'd have space for all your stuff. Stuff is important!

And that pushy landlord? Something's wrong there.

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous courtney said...

I haven't read your more recent updates (going in order on my feed reader), so I don't know what the update is, but "pretty firm" totally is different than "solid firm."

And don't go with the pushy landlord - if he's an asshole now and he doesn't even have you held to a contract? Pffft, screw him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home