Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I like to make things harder on myself

Exhibit A: I'll just cut to the chase on this one. I ran out of gas in the middle of the highway yesterday. Yes, that actually happens to people in real life and not just in contrived movies and TV shows. It happens to STUPID PEOPLE. Stupid people who are too busy driving around in circles and talking on the phone and debating Brad Pitt, Barack Obama and the meaning of life to remember their low fuel light has been on for like two days. People like that.

Me: Shit, shit, shit, shit, SHIT!
Mom: Watch your language!
Me: HELLO. MISSING THE POINT. (Pause.) Shiiiiiiiiit.
Mom: What? What point?
Me: DAMMIT. I just ran out of gas.
Mom: I did not raise my daughters to have potty mou--wait, you what?
Me: I ran out of gas ON THE FREAKING HIGHWAY. I am COASTING on the side of the ROAD right now.
Mom: Why didn't you put gas in your car when the light went on?
Me: I think maybe because I was HOPING I'd run out of gas on the highway. I was like, hmmm, what can I do for fun today? I KNOW! How about I run out of gas--
Mom: All right, I get it. (Pause.) You know, I never let my car go below a quarter tank, just to make sure nothing like that happens.
Me: Really? That's a really happy story. Thanks.

Of course, I can't just be stupid and run out of gas. I have to run out of gas in a state where I don't know anyone! So instead, I called everyone in my OLD state and bitched about it while I waited AN HOUR AND A HALF for roadside assistance. (I was going to try to walk to a gas station, and my mom COMPLETELY freaked out because it was night and I was on the highway and made me promise to stay in my car. Normally, I am far too stubborn to do something merely to make my mother happy, but this time I acquiesced because did I mention the fact that I spent the hour and a half totally paranoid that a cop would come to "help" me and realize my registration was expired and give me a ticket? For some reason, I had it in my head that I was much more likely to get a ticket if I left my car than if I stayed with it. Why is my registration expired? Besides my well-documented track record of flouting authority? Because it was up at the end of October and I don't know where I'm living yet so I can't renew it here. Sitting on the side of a major highway with no gas is not a good way to flee from the law, let me tell you.)

Anyway, it wasn't the end of the world, I even started laughing when I called roadside assistance, but all in all, NOT THAT FUN. Finally, an hour after he was supposed to, the guy showed up with my two complimentary gallons of gas. "I hope you like it here!" he said before he drove away. HA freaking HA.

Exhibit B: So. I think I found an apartment. Well, there are two options, but I think I am getting this one. It is in a VERY fun part of town, very cute, very vibrant, walking distance to bookstores, bagel shops, a movie theater, etc. The downside is that this area is older, so the apartment is smaller with older cabinets, no washer/dryer hookup, a tiny, tiny kitchen, no dishwasher. But it does have big windows and new hardwood floors and an exposed brick wall that is painted glossy white and is in a GREAT neighborhood--safe, residential, parks nearby--with heat included in the rent.

But! A couple of the boys at work live in another town a bit farther away, and I could have everything I had in my old place--an extra bedroom, washer/dryer, fireplace, newer appliances. The rent wouldn't be too much more ($150 or so) and I would have a lot more space, plus people I know living nearby. There is a little downtown with some good restaurants, but there's not nearly as much going on.

I pretty much know I want to live in the first area, because it is just SO cute and I am sick of living in big apartment complexes. But I definitely would have to scale back and get rid of some stuff, because it's a lot smaller. And, of course, you know me, I can't just make a decision, I have to agonize over it and do the pros and cons and commit and uncommit and commit again about a thousand times first. The guy totally put me on the clock too because it hadn't been listed yet, which SO did not help. I was supposed to go to his office this morning to fill out an application and I totally froze. I was like, I need one more day to drive around and just be sure. So I called him and said (little white lie alert) I got called into work and I would come first thing tomorrow to do the application instead. And he got TOTALLY PISSED at me! He's like, "You know, I could rent this place in a heartbeat, you're lucky I let you look at it before it was listed, blah blah blah" and I was like, DUDE! SLOW YOUR ROLL. I'LL BE IN TOMORROW.

Now, of course, I feel guilty and like maybe I should just go over there and sign my poor little life away, but really, it is JUST 24 hours, right? And shouldn't I be sure? Shouldn't I go back around and explore a little? Shouldn't I check out IKEA's website for shelving units that can fit in the closet and go to places like ApartmentTherapy.com for tips on decorating a smaller space first? Just to REALLY MAKE SURE? I think so ... right?

24 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger shopgirl said...

I am sooooo glad someone ELSE runs out of gas - because I have done it also - TWICE!!! AND, I was RIGHT in front of a gas station!!- But I'm CHEAP, and we have a grocery store that gives $$ off the gallon of gas when you spend so much. At the time I ran out of gas, I think I had like $2.00 off the gallon (this past summer when it was almost $4/gal - THAT was a lot!) So, I was trying to drive to the Grocery Store's gas station but, didn't make it - yes, twice even! Luckily, both times were during the day and I just walked to the station - bought a container and filled it up and took it back to my car. Yeah I'm am idiot! And, my dad yells at me too, for letting my tank get down to below a 1/4 of a tank.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger shopgirl said...

PS - I say go for the apartment that has all the FUN and cool stuff around it. Hey, you'll be too busy hanging out in your new town to worry about a smaller apartment! Plus, IKEA will have PLENTY of storage solutions for you!!

I'm already jealous if you live that close to an IKEA!!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger KATE said...

Okay, your shit shit shit shit shit, is just WAY too good! LOVE it! We really should hang out!! Only I probably would have said worse! oops...

Sorry about the apartment thing, but I would have a hard time too just trying to decide to live is hard enough but to be given a couple of good options, argghhh makes it even harder. Good Luck!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Too funny, just take up rock climbing..that way you don't risk your everyday life on the little things.

Take the tiny apt. you won't be home much, you'll be busy enjoying your neighborhood.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Elle Charlie said...

I think you have to make the decision when it feels right. Of course, within a bit of a time constraint or else you just lose out on everything. But within reason, yes, you should take some time. Do apartments go fast where you're living? Would it jump off the market?

It's so hard to know what the right answer is. But if it's any help, I bet there are several right answers and several places where you could be very, very happy. So it's not do or die, pick the right apartment or be miserable for eternity. It IS big, I'm not trying to undermine that, but rest assured you will make your decision work, whichever decision it is.

I myself would vote for character rather than newness. That being said, my house is new and not full of character... so comfort matters too. I'm not helping. That's all from me. Go with your gut!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger ballerinatoes said...

I ran out of gas about two weeks after I got my Mini Cooper and thought it was just ef'd up and had quit on me. Felt like a total dumbass when the emergency roadside service got there and said, "miss, you are out of gas." Yay me!

Go with the old place with character. I love my older home. And I own the damn place and don't have a dishwasher. And it sucks. But I love my older home. Really, I do.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I would totally do the old place with character but ... I can't be without a W/D again. But I'm spoiled and that's just me. And so you don't know people in the new place yet. Trust me, you will soon enough. If the place isnt' already taken now ;)

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rent the apt, so you can register your car. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. If you dont like it, you move in a year.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Candy said...

why is it when I come and visit your page, I always feel like I'm reading MY LIFE.

so weird.

so glad I'm not the only one;-)

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I've never run out of gas- but I have locked myself out of my own car several times. Ooooh apartment choice hard. On the upside- once you decide- either way I suspect you'll be happy.

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Oh no. I ran out of gas once. It feels so shocking even tho the empty light's been blinking for hours and hours. I mean, the car just stops! What's up with that?

Ok, I love old houses with character but I love love love having a washer/dryer. There's just nothing better when you're tired and over-worked. And a fire in the fireplace? Oh yeah. But then, I like nesting. If I lived in an exciting place I'd still be inside, reading a book.

So I'm agreeing with those who say just go with your gut. And don't let anyone pressure you into deciding before you know.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Beth said...

GET THE CUTE SMALL APRTMENT IN THE FUN NEIGHBORHOOD!!! really, if you live in an aea like that...how much time will you be spending in your small apartment? I would LOVE to live in an arealike that!!!!! and ya, you're giving up alot, but I say, go with your first hunch and get the place!!!

and then give us pictures of it and your neighborhood!!!!

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Steph said...

I vote for the cute older neighborhood too!

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous courtney said...

I ran out of gas on the highway on my 18th birthday. Go me! THen my friend and I made the even smarter decision to accept a ride because the boys were cute. Yes, stupidity rules.

It's okay to take the time to think about it. Are you sure you aren't going to mind not having a washer and dryer? That's a biggie for me, though it may not be as big a deal for you.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Take the first one. BUT, if the landlord is gonna be an asshole, then take the second one.

I am completely no help am I?

Also, something major to consider--is a COFFEE SHOP-CIA-AGENT-VIEWING location within walking distance? That'll cinch it!

xoxo when do you work tomorrow? I'll call you! xoxoxo

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger kim said...

Cute post. You are so funny. I have no advice because I'm late to comment section.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger MJ said...

It's refreshing to know that someone else has the kind of relationship with her mom that she can speak her mind!

Just so you don't feel so bad, I've run out of gas TWICE, both within eyesight of the gas station, because I never thought to look at the gas gauge. What? It doesn't just magically fill up on it's own???

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger cubmommy said...

Which one did you pick?

I didn't think anybody ran out of gas. You are so funny!!! This is why I love reading your blog. You are too cute.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Betty said...

I too have a running-out-of-gas nightmare story. It happened in the ghetto when I was on my way to pick up my boyfriend (then-boyfriend) from the airport. It involved running like hell, first without and then with a huge gas can that I had to buy at the gas station. My mother would have flipped.

Please take the smaller, older apartment in the great neighborhood!!!!! You will be SOOOOOOO glad you did! Mark my words.

Hugs,
Betty

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger XXXOOO always said...

You are so funny.

shit shit shit shit, made me spit Dr.Pepper on my computer while I was laughing.

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're all lookin' for an update.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Angela Williams Duea said...

Soo...what did you choose? I'd go for atmosphere any day. Especially since you're gonna have so many things to blog about in the fun neighborhood.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Kristabella said...

What does your gut tell you? That's what I always ask myself. Otherwise I'd never be able to make a decision.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home