Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

T-minus I can't think about it

Hello my sweet blog friends. How are you? I am fine. Well, mostly fine, I am a little neurotic/emotional/stressed/overwhelmed/pick a word and I'm probably it right now, but I am fine. I hope you are fine, too!

My weekend was crazy. On Friday morning, I drove my pimpin' new ride to Manic's neck of the woods for a whirlwind, 24-hour last hurrah. There was construction and cops the whole way, so it took me forever to get there (right in time, I might add, for awesome rush hour traffic). But we persevered! Manic had brownies and water and Diet Coke (and an endless supply of patience) all ready for me in case I was crabby because that is just the kind of wonderful BBFF she is. We went out for a night on the town and she gave me some beautiful, thoughtful and funny going-away presents ... and that's all I can tell you right now, because she is currently having a contest I will pretty much ruin if I go into any more detail. So go enter, and if you win a CD, I want a copy!

I stopped and had lunch with one of my favorite friends on the way back (one of the ones who just moved) and then went out with a few more of my favorite friends Saturday night. It was a little bit of a hard weekend in some ways (I think I cried for like two solid hours in the car, with the saddest acoustic coffee shop music in the world as my soundtrack), but I really am such a lucky girl. Even when I'm not at my best, I have people who love me anyway. They cheer me on and tell me I'm great even when I'm really not that great, and I can promise you not a day goes by that I don't think of what a little miracle that is. I feel like I've gotten to be in the presence of the best people life has to offer. I don't know what on earth I did to deserve the company of such wonderful people, but I am such a better person for it. (And that includes all of you! I hope you know how much I appreciate all of you who stop by and laugh at my silly little stories about CIA agents and McDonald's streakers. You guys are awesome. You have made so many of my crappy days better!)

Anyway, there have been little pockets of craziness, but I've gotten to spend some wonderful time with some wonderful people the past few days. This is how you'll know I'm running around like an insane person, though: I FORGOT MY CAMERA THE ENTIRE WEEKEND! I know, horrible, right? So no pictures, but I'll be sure to make up for it with a plethora of box and wrapping photos later in the week. (Exciting, huh? I know, I'm SUCH A TEASE.)

Move status: The truck comes Friday, my car gets picked up the same day, I fly out Saturday morning, I will move into temporary housing and then I will start my job on Monday. No, I am not remotely ready, but you know ... whatever. I am finding my inner Zen and embracing it so hard it starts coughing and its face turns purple, just watch me.

Starting tomorrow. Tonight, I think I will embrace a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream. Maybe even with a cherry on top.

24 Comments:

At 2:42 AM, Blogger House of Jules said...

I'm so excited for you! Next time you're in the area, hopefully I'll be around! It would have been a blast to meet you guys for a drink or 10. Keep breathing, all zen-like, with your bowl of whipped cream. ;)
Jules
House of Jules

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Irene said...

You'll be fine, just wait and see. You're probably not nearly the wreck you think you are. I bet underneath it all, you're cool as a cucumber. Besides, you've got that brand new car to sit and cry in if it all becomes too much. In a few weeks, you'll look back and think: what was I so worried about?

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger DeeMarie said...

We're all here for you. I'm in the process of packing too, and currently don't know where I'm moving too. Embracing the Zen is what's getting me through!!
Good luck. Looking forward to fun Swishy stories!!!!!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger kk said...

Good luck – can't wait to read what the next chapter brings!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

Sounds really exciting! Good luck!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger CelticBuffy said...

Just think of it as a new mantra . . . "change is good, change is good". :)

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Beth said...

swish, I am thrilled for you. This is all so exciting and life changing and nerve wracking and stressful....but YOU CAN DO IT!!!! YOU CAN DO IT ALL NIGHT LONG!!! I know you got it in ya girl....

and cookies, ice cream, whipped cream, cherries....eat whatever the heck you want. Exercise tomorrow!!!

love you and I can't wait to see Box pictures!!!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

You can do it!

...and shame on you for forgetting the camera.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Patti said...

move day deserves a cherry...and whipped cream...and sprinkles.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Can you fill up the trunk of your car with extra clothes and stuff you don't want in storage but don't want to take on the plane, so you'll have it when your car arrives?

Good luck to you!

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck with the move. What part of the country are you moving to (you dont have to say the state or city)?

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I'm proud of you for taking this step! you are going to rock your new job, new home and new life!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

My favorite line:

I am finding my inner Zen and embracing it so hard it starts coughing and its face turns purple, just watch me.

And people love you so much because you are so worth loving! You are the most genuine wonderful amazing wonderful person and I am so freaking blessed to know you and have you in my life, no matter where you live! And you're gonna be so famous one day and I'll get to brag that you're my BBFF and we can tell everyone about how we met! LOVE IT! Grab that Zen, but don't kill it! YOU NEED IT! (Can we name it?)

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Betty said...

I found your blog through Mary Ann's and I must say, I love it. Wow- a new job, new city , new life, and your blogging buddies get to tag along! I'll be checking back!

Hugs,
Betty

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oooo go for whipped cream with that cherry atop your ice cream. Go for it!

Good luck in your move, and keep ohming your way to your zen. I can't wait to read all the Manic stories coming up with what you did on your weekend together.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

You have a good move Swish- we'll be cheering you and the new job on. And those of us that love you will love you where ever you go

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Elle Charlie said...

I'm so glad you got to see so many friends this past weekend :) Hold on tight to your zen place - you can do it! I know this time of transition is hard, but the payoff will be big. I just know it!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Swishy,
I think this move will be such a good thing for you. You are on the verge of such new and exciting things. You are the type of person who will do well no matter where you are. People love you because of who you are, an amazingly caring, funny and smart person.

Eat as much ice cream as you want and hold on tight to that inner zen. It won't let you down.
XXXX

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Kristabella said...

This is very exciting! I've been there twice, well really three times, moving to new places, across the country, etc. It can be very scary.

You're a smart person, so we all know that this is going to be such a great opportunity for you! I'm excited for you! It's ging to be so great!

Hopefully next time you're back in Chicago, I'll get a chance to see you!

Good luck kiddo! I'm going to miss having you close to Chicago!

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Sue said...

A new car and a trip to see Manic. Sounds like you are dealing with the moving stress in the right way!
Do we get to see a picture of the cute new car all packed up and headed on it's way?

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Alex, that is a great idea. I am technically (air quotes) not allowed to have anything in the car, but I think I might try it anyway. At least with my plants :)

And thank you all so, so, SO much for your encouragement and sweet comments. They mean so much to me, you have no idea ... thank you!

(Oh, and: northeast.)

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

The people at your new job are going to love you!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

cookies and cream ice cream sounds so good. I'm super pumped for you. Glad to hear that you got some good time in with friends over the weekend. You'll do great!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Jacki said...

You are so brave! I know that everything will be just fine!

Thinking of you (while eating an ice cream sandwich!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home