Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Hot wheels

I am so incredibly lame. Moving SUCKITY SUCKS, and I just don't have it in me to try to see the humor in it right now. Not when the move is a week away and I STILL don't know which day the movers are coming, not when I still don't know where I'm going to be staying once I go, not when there are mountains and mountains of things surrounding me that still have to be sorted through, people that still have to be called, errands that still have to be run ...

Yes. I am lame.

I did, however, cross one very big to-do off my list today, and that was buying a new car. Oh, my stressful. I am fairly certain the whole experience took a good five years off my life, but ... did I mention how pretty my car is? It IS pretty! I feel a little guilty for buying a new car, but I really, really did need one and I definitely got my money's worth out of the old one. It was the first car I'd ever owned, I paid for every cent of it myself, and I drove it right into the ground, poor thing.

But back to the actual buying. OK. I sort of knew what I wanted already, because I've only been thinking about buying a new car for, oh, three years now. So I went to one dealership last weekend and test-drove cars. I was able to narrow it down to the model I wanted, but I was NOT a big fan of the sales guy. For one thing, he kept talking to my (male, card-carrying penis-owning) friend instead of me, even though I was CLEARLY the person buying the car. Also, he actually picked up a half-smoked cigarette off the pavement, brushed it off and put it in his pocket to smoke later. I don't know if it was his or someone else's, but either way, ewww. Also, he couldn't answer some of my questions, and also, I wanted to title it in the new state and I wasn't sure I trusted him not to screw it up since he couldn't answer my other questions.

Anyway. I go into a near-panic when I so much as renew my cell phone contract, so even if he was the smartest, most charming non-cigarette-pilferer in the world, I was not going to be making any purchases that day anyway. I left, and spent the next two days going online, checking dealer inventories, running numbers, blah blah blah, until I found the car I wanted at a dealer about 10 miles away. I COULD have gone back to the other dealership and had him send for it so he could get the commission, but ... I didn't. Does that make me a bad person? I felt a little bad about it, but obviously not bad enough. (Also, when I mentioned that to him as a possibility--because I didn't want a white car and that's all he had with the features I wanted--he was like, ummm, I don't know about that, what's wrong with white, what do you have against white, I think you should just go with white.)

Anyway, tangent. So I go to the new dealership yesterday. My token male friend (who, bless his heart, is the most long-suffering, patient person on the planet) gets there a little bit before me, and is like, ohhhh, snap, guess what, some other lady is taking your car. And I was like, WHAT! What are you talking about? And he was like, yeah, she's buying the car you'd picked out, but they said they can get one here just like it by tomorrow. And I was like, hmm, we'll see about that.

So I get there and they're like, we're so sorry, that car has been sold, but you can drive this one, it's the exact same thing, and we'll get you the color you want (blue) by the end of the day if you decide you want it. So I'm like, OK. Then, during the test drive, I happen to mention that I've already been approved for a loan by my bank and it's like ... screeeeeeeech. Me: approved. Other lady: not yet approved. The car goes to: ME.

I bring this up only because ...

My friend: Are you SURE you want this car?
Me: Why? Should I get another car?
Friend: I mean THIS car.
Me: What do you MEAN this car?
Friend: I mean, they can get the same thing sent here, maybe even by the end of the day.
Me: Why would I do that if they already HAVE it here?
Friend: Because.
Me: Because WHY?
Friend (looks around and whispers): Because of that lady.
Me (just look at him)
Friend: Seriously.
Me: What, was she, like, SCARY or something?
Friend: A little bit.
Me: You think she's gonna, like, HUNT me DOWN?
Friend (very serious whisper): Maybe.

I decide to take my chances with the potentially pissed-off, scary woman and agree to buy the car. Now I have to sign the paperwork. This is the part that's SUPPOSED to be easy, because of the whole thing with my dad's work. There's a set price for the car, which I've already researched. The only haggling is over extras and financing.

OK. Let me just tell you. That took FIVE HOURS over TWO DAYS. The finance guy was an ASSHOLE. I guess they are sort of paid to be assholes, but I mean, come on, I am blonde and I am giggly but I am not a complete and total idiot. First we fight over the trade-in value of my car. I LOOKED at the blue book trade-in value. I KNOW what my car is worth. So finally I say, forget it, I'll take it somewhere else, and he caves and gives me what I'm asking. Then he tries to tell me I should finance through them because they can offer me a lower interest rate. "Is that guaranteed?" I say. Um ... no, he replies. Then he tells me I qualify for extra incentives too if I finance through them. Fine, I say, give me all the numbers and I'll go home and look them over and come back tomorrow. Of course he's not down with that. So around and around we go.

I go back this morning and decide, OK, I'll finance through them. Except ... guess what? One of the incentives has magically disappeared! And, oh, yeah, there's an extra $500 fee folded in for something I didn't approve! I was like, ix-nay on the 500 bucks, and I'm going outside to call my accountant (my dad) now, thanks. So I call my dad, and then I call my bank, and then I call my dad back again, and then I call my bank and in the meantime the finance guy is SO PISSED OFF AT ME, I cannot even tell you. Even my friend was like, whoa, he is pissed. But I was like forget it, let him be mad, this is a HUGE MASSIVE DECISION and I'm never gonna see him again anyway. Which is great progress for me, since I HATE having people mad at me, but on the inside I was still a big old ball of stress because we're talking about a FIVE-DIGIT PURCHASE and my idea of a really big purchase is a $50 pair of pants I can return the next day.

Anyway. I go in, tell him I'm going with the nice, patient people at my bank (WHY? he asks. BECAUSE, I say), and all I need to do is log in to my account and approve the amount. So after he kicks and screams about me using his precious computer and his precious Internet, I go to approve the loan and promptly freak out because it still says $50,000 (my pre-approval amount), which is not even CLOSE to what I am spending. So I excuse myself again to call my bank to make sure they don't need to update the amount, and the finance guy's head basically explodes all over the room.

The happy ending: The bank people talked me down from my ledge, the paperwork went through easy-breezy, the finance guy did not kill me, the scary lady has not yet hunted me down, and oh, yes, I have a pretty new car. WITH SATELLITE RADIO. Yay!

Now I just have to get myself moved ...

38 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

Good for you for sticking to your guns and not backing down! I hate dealing with car salesmen and finance people. I bought my current car alone (as in didn't take brother, grandfather, male friend). It took a few times but I came away with what I wanted. Yay for new cars with satellite radio!

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger House of Jules said...

OMG Lady, I totally agree that buying a car is one of the most stressful things ever. Doing that AND moving makes you a superhero.
Jules
House of Jules

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger DeeMarie said...

Ugh. I hate car buying drama!! Sorry you had all that hassle, but congrats on the shiny new car (and satellite radio!!)

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Midwest Gent said...

Good negotiating and delving into the gritty details. First sales guy - Klassy.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Jacki said...

I love cars, love cars! I have no problem buying cars but I too can't buy a purse without going to the store at least twice and touching it and walking around the store with it. Hell I get a little uneasy with a $40 transaction at Target.

Good for you!

(And because I'm such a car nut I'm totally curious about what kind! And dark blue, light blue, royal blue? What color interior? Oh hell I'll get a handle on myself now, Enjoy it!)

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

WHY do car salesmen insist on treating women like they are stupid, inanimate objects? That happens to me all the time, and I hate it.

Good for you for sticking to your guns!

And, good luck with the move. You will be fine - - just gotta get through it!

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Crazed said...

Seriously... NO photo?!?! You kill me. I am so super excited for you!!! I cannot wait to take a joy ride.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger kim said...

I used to grab my purse and start walking to get taken seriously. Now I just give husband the numbers and send him in.

It ain't right, but it saves time and blood pressure :o).

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger dragonfly said...

Those finance guys at dealerships are seven kinds of crazy. I can't walk into a car dealership without instantly developing a defensive posture. And we actually had one sales guy come AFTER us as we were trying to leave a dealership (because he was an ass). I guess he thought if he acted like a serial killer, we'd get back out and BUY the car? Ummm, no.

So what did you buy?

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Beth said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!! That's my Swishy!!!!!

and girrrrrl, I DID see the pic of Angie nursing...and I cannot WAIT to get my grubby little hands on that magazine!!!!! Only you would understand this obsession... ;)

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Celia said...

GO SWISHY! Congrats on making good decisions and not letting mean/crazy people mess you up.
Now go enjoy your new ride!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Oh my Gosh! That is so very funny, and I would have been the same way. I was just told, about a week ago, to NEVER finance through the car dealerships cause they will rip you off EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. Did you know that the bigger interest you pay, the more commission the sales guy gets??? ME NEITHER!

So, WHAT KIND OF CAR IS IT! I mean, it's not like there is only ONE in the world, and we can hunt you down and steal it if you tell us, right???

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Elle Charlie said...

Wow, you drive a hard bargain lady! Nicely done!

Do we get to see a picture?

Congrats on your new car - how FUN!

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Online instant cash Loans said...

Hi,

Nice site where we got more information from this site. Really it is very nice site, good keep up it.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

LOVE new car. HATE stress of buying it. And I never buy, I lease. Until the next time, I guess. Maybe. Who knows.

Oh, I hate making decisions.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Congrats on the new car. It took me about that long, although I walked in saying I was going to give them a check so that got the F&I guy a bit off my case. Still freaky weird.

Oh, and bad salesperson who can't answer your questions or do anything for you? You don't owe him squat.

So you have GOT to share what the new car is that you got. Oh, and have fun with Manic while you stay away from the moving stress ;)

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Barb said...

You'd think with the state of the economy and all the dealership closings (2 here last week) they'd be happy for any sale and on their best behavior. Guess not! Good luck with the new car and the move.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

Congrats on the new car. Pictures would be fun. I've never had a "new" car, just a "new to me" car.

Well if you want to get some coffee before move across the country, let me know. I'd be fun to meet you.

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you on the new car, young lady. drive it safely (twss) across our fair land.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

I hate buying cars soooo much!
But....I bought my last car over the internet, and when I got there---all I had to do was sign over the check, maybe sign something else & drive it away. I loved that.

HAPPY NEW CAR!

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous courtney said...

so... what kind of car??

I just bought a new vehicle a few months ago, but unlike you, I make cars an impulse buy apparently. Not intentionally, I just want what I want and I want it right away, darnit.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Congrats on the new car! Check you out, showing that finance guy who is boss. I need some of your spunk.

Good luck w/ moving!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I hate the games they play with buying a car. It would almost be funny, if it wasn't so stressful.

So glad you got the car. You so deserve it!

XXXXXX

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Thank you guys!!!

I haven't taken a picture yet, which if you know me (and you do), is SHOCKING! I did take pictures of the old one, though, and also kissed the back of it for being such a good car over the years.

I keep losing my camera in the mess of everything, but Manic took some. I will post a picture soon! (twss)

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger XYZinn said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so excited you got a new car, but crappy that you had to deal with the finance guy. Why do they have to be that way?

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Irene said...

That was one hell of an exciting post, but what kind of a car did you get, that is the suspenseful things.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Andie said...

car salesmen can be a real piece of work. I know what you mean. They never know how to deal with me because sometimes, I know more about the cars than they do!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

OMG, moving AND buying a new car?? Congrats on getting the car you wanted and on your own terms. You'd think they'd have given you a red carpet to walk on instead of all that crap.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Sara Hantz said...

Yay on getting the car. You deserve it more!!!!!!

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind did you get? Are you going to post pics of the swishy mobile? Congrats

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Seriously. White? He had to ask?! All govt bulk cars are white. Even my honey hates white cars.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger shopgirl said...

Hi Swishy!
Oh I know you're in the middle of moving - but I just want to let you know that I've tagged you!
To see what I'm talking about - go here: http://missdaisydog.blogspot.com/2008/10/im-it-youre-it.html

I know you're crazy busy - so if you don't want to participate - that's cool. But, I do want to know if you ever went back to McDonalds!!!

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Kristabella said...

WHITE CARS SUCK! Believe me, I have one. And they especially suck in places that snow. Good choice not going with white.

Did you ever watch King of Cars on A&E? Those car people are assholes and they do it because they can! good for you for sticking to your guns!

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger kim said...

I thought about you today as I watched "Vanilla Sky",again -- I own it. Because I remember when you said you hated it and I watched today I thought, as I did the time I read you hated it -- how can she hate this movie?

"TECH SUPPOOOOORT!!!"

You really hated it?

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

you are so awesome for staying strong. Seriously. I applaud you. That finance guy can go to hell.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger kk said...

Car-buying is one of those times when it sucks being a girl.

I did it about a year ago...I'm good for another 10 or so before I want to do it again!

congrats and good luck with it!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

OK, I got a Ford Escape. The buying was a little crazy, but so far I LOVE IT! I haven't taken any pictures yet, but Manic has a faraway one on her blog.

And yes! I LOATHED Vanilla Sky! Jerry Maguire was so good! I thought it was going to be more Cameron Crowe-Tom Cruise goodness! I seriously was SO MAD that it was not what I'd expected. Ha.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Jon B said...

Everytime I go to a dealership, I'm reminded of Clark Griswold and the family truckster he didn't order.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home