Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, October 06, 2008

Did I mention how much I love moving?

No? Really? Maybe because I HATE IT WITH A FIERY WHITE-HOT PASSION. That might be the reason I haven't mentioned it.

Actually, I'm not going to make this an "I hate moving" post, because I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for one (or more) of those in the next two weeks. (I move next week. NEXT WEEK. Friday, I think. IS THAT NOT INSANE? I agree. It IS insane.)

This is the stuff I've been trying to do/figure out lately:

* Whether I should take a pre-move trip out to look at apartments. Originally, I was like, yes, totally, of course I'm going to. But my background check took longer than usual because of my old company moving, and then my relocation coordinator--who I'm supposed to schedule everything through--was out with strep throat for a week (which I only found out after she came back to work and my zillion messages). So I just got the ball rolling on that whole thing a few days ago, and I'm supposed to start work on the 20th, so I'm like ... forget it, I'd rather get stuff done here than fly out there and maybe find a place to live, maybe not. (I can live in temporary housing there, which I would probably do anyway, so it's not the end of the world ... I don't think.)

* Whether I should drive out or fly out. They're like, OK, we'll fly you out and ship your car and get you a rental until it gets there. Which sounds great, except of course then neurotic me is like, WAIT! What about my houseplants? WAIT! How am I supposed to pack a MONTH'S worth of stuff into a couple of suitcases? (Because whatever I don't take goes into storage until I get out of temp housing.) So then I'm like, forget it, I'm driving ... but THEN I'm like, I would have to leave AT LEAST a day earlier, and do I REALLY want to drive alone halfway across the country when I'm a COMPLETE EMOTIONAL WRECK? My friend Allee says my plants will be fine and I believe her because she is smart about that kind of thing, and I can always send myself a box of extra things I might need ... right?

* What to do about my mail. I think I've decided to forward it to my new work until I know where I'm going to live (as opposed to a P.O. box or whatever), but ... I don't know. I hate making that decision, because I am very possessive of my mail and I don't want people even GLANCING at my People magazine before I look at it, and mail can sometimes be kind of personal, which makes me sound like I order naughty things and I SO DO NOT but you know what I mean, and what if stuff gets lost and ... did I mention that I'm neurotic? I know.

* Buying a new car. Yes, I am buying a new car before I leave, because ... well, because of this, this and this, and I don't need that kind of drama in a state where I don't know anyone who will take pity on me and come pick me up as I'm swearing and kicking my tires on the side of the road. My dad gets a deal on a bunch of different cars through his work, so that helps narrow it down, but OH, THE DECISIONS! I test-drove cars for like four hours on Saturday and tonight I went to two more dealers and peeked through the windows of different cars with a flashlight (oh, yes, I did). That's a good decision to have to make, so I'm not complaining, but ohhh, I can make myself crazy with all the little details.

* That means I had to clean out my current car so I can trade it in, and umm ... my car is (was) disgusting. It looks great now but it took forever and half the contents are strewn about my hallway as I type, just in time for ....

* The lady to come survey my apartment to make sure it's really only going to take one day to pack. (It will. As long as I throw out the 18 TONS of STUPID CRAP I've accumulated. I save EVERYTHING. WHY, I ask you, do I have every gas receipt from the past five years? Why do I have an entire basket of Happy Meal toys? Why do I have mountains of sticky notes full of phone numbers that are no longer even in SERVICE?) I'm trying to go through stuff before she gets here so I look like I have it together better than I do.

And ... that's about it. Is that an "I hate moving" post? Maybe. I will write something fun tomorrow, I promise. (Or SCARY. Like the story I have about the CREEPIEST GUY EVER.) Fun or scary ... kinda sounds like moving, huh?

27 Comments:

At 3:19 AM, Blogger Barb said...

OMG ~ You so have your hands full. Where are you moving to? If you need someone to vent to I'm only a blog away. I will keep my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly for you.

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Cecily R said...

Oh, I don't envy you! I wish I was closer so I could help!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Sue said...

I wish you were moving to Cape Cod because then I would be your friend(in real life along with bloggy life). Unless your dad is a car dealer, why don't you decide which car you want and then buy that brand when you get to your new home? Then you wouldn't have to deal with do I drive or do I ship it?
As far as I know, you live on the East Coast and were commenting to me at 3:30am? I am assuming you were up worrying? Poor, poor Swishy. Hang in there, girl.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

Ugh, I have never moved and dont really look forward to it. good luck with everything!!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Melek said...

wow. that's a lotta packing before next friday. good luck!

as for the move, the plants, the car, etc., here's my experience.

i moved from VA to TX and got put in temp housing for 2 months. we packed a crap-ton of stuff to last us till our stuff got delivered (about 2 weeks or so). for your house plants, get one of those auto water globes that you stick into the dirt. it may not last 2 weeks, but it'll help for the first week or so, so you won't get dead plants shipped to you. and they'll be in a dark truck, so it's not like they'll be in full sun sucking up lots of water.

and yes, fly out. you don't need all the extra stress (and possible road-side adventure) from driving out. i dont know how far it is or anything, but even just a one state move is a big deal when it's such an emotional journey.

hope it all goes well (and easy and stress-free) for you!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger The Franchise said...

It's offical I will now never leave NYC because i would never ever want to deal with the hassle of moving. Actually, wait, I don't have a car, or a lot of possessions...hmm am dangerously close to being homeless. If that happens can I move in with you?

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger DeeMarie said...

I'm so sorry you're stressed. I laughed like crazy picturing you peering through cars with a flashlight, and I'm totally waiting on an update regarding the McD's streaker!!!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

Wow, now I dread moving too. At least you have help with a reloaction service I have to move thei entire house of junk and 5 people! Ahh!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

All kinds of headaches....!!! Hang in there--you will get through this!

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm moving this week, too! All the best. :-)
Scribe

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

Oh honey. I'm so feeling for you. I moved 3 times in 5 years, and let Mr. Hot do EVERYTHING except hand over the credit card. ;-)

And two of those times were less than 2 miles.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yep. This is why I'm never moving again. I'm so with you, and I would be freaking out about the same things as you (except the buying a car part because I can't make that decision either)! Wow. Good luck! And go have a glass of wine :)

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger kim said...

what cecily said.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Candy said...

oh I'm feelin ya.

We just did it for the 5th time, to the 4th state, within 7 years.

SUCKS.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

So much to worry about, but you need to take it one step (or moving box) at a time. Don't let your thoughts/to do list start snowballing. Trust that it will work out and remember that you are not alone.
XXXXX

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Kristabella said...

I hate moving too!

And you are crazy! DO NOT DRIVE! They are offering to PAY to have your car shipped AND give you a rental? Companies don't do that! TAKE THEM UP ON IT!

Plants schmants!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Jenster said...

This is not an "I hate moving" post. It's just the facts, ma'am.

I hate moving, too. That's why I'm staying here for the rest of my life. Unless I become rich and famous with all the books I'm selling (I'm channeling my future self). Then I'm going to buy a beautiful farm house and renovate it.

Looks like I'll be in this house for a VERY long time.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Beth said...

goodness....what stress!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!! Are you moving MY way, by any chance at all??.....cuz I would totally help you move. Well, I wouldn't actually MOVE anything, but I'd talk to you while YOU did it...!!!!

Good luck Miss Swish....so much on your plate right now.

OH! I totally feel you on the People magazine thing....I HATE when I get my Star late...cuz I know them hos at the post office have been reading it and got their grubby little fingers all over my pix of Angie and Brad!

xoxoxox

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Elle Charlie said...

Oh, Swishy, moving SUCKS. No two ways about it. When we most recently moved (for the last time ever if I have my way) my dad told me "Every move sucks. If yours only has 4 things that go wrong it's a brilliant success." He also said, "After it's over thankfully you'll forget about it because if we didn't forget no one would ever move more than once." So, I know this might sound pessimistic, but it was helpful for me to hear because it prompted me to just batten down the hatches and prepare for an uncomfortable month, knowing it would pass.

It will all pass. You'll get settled and love your new place! But the in between time is no fun, and I admire you greatly for embarking on a move! Your bravery will be rewarded :) With a great new life! It's just a matter of settling into it...

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

pack rat.

it's okay, i save all kinds of crap that I should just let go of too...

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

Swishy! Definitely not local! All I can say is that Tommy Boy was on tv over the weekend and although I can quote the movie by heart, I still laughed so hard I almost peed myself :-) A friend is helping me drive the rental truck over 2000 miles and a road movie was all I needed to have faith that someone out there is watching my life from above and laughing ridiculously hard. So hard that milk is probably coming out of his/her nose!
xo Move safe :-)

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger shopgirl said...

Poor Swishy - moving sucks - not that I know - I've lived in the same town my whole life (that's why I travel for my job). Good luck to you! BUT WAIT! Before you move away - YOU MUST go back to Mickey D's and give us an update on the "flasher"

ha ha - good luck swishy - we'll be here waiting to hear about your adventures!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Good Lord woman! You have a LOT to do!

Okay, I would drive, I think. I mean, new car and all, why not? But I don't mind driving, so that's just me.

As far as everything else? Lordy girl, I feel for ya, that's all I can say. But I can't wait to read all about this little adventure!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger MALIK IMRAN AWAN said...

´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´¶´´´¶¶
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´¶¶´¶¶
´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶
´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶
´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´¶¶
´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶
´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶
´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´¶
´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶
´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶
´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´¶´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´´¶
´¶´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶´´´´¶
´¶´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´¶¶´´¶´´´´¶
´´¶´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶´¶´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´¶
´´¶¶´´´´´´´¶´´´´´¶´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´¶¶
´´´¶¶´´´´´´¶´´´´¶´´´´¶¶¶¶´´´´´¶
´´´´¶´´´´´´¶´´´¶´´´´´¶´´´´´´´¶
´´´´¶´´´´´´¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´¶´´¶¶
´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶´´¶
´´´´´¶¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´¶
´´´´´´´´¶¶¶´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶
´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶´
´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´¶¶´¶
´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´¶´¶¶
´´´´´´´´´¶´´¶¶´´´´´¶´´´¶
´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶´¶´´´´´´´¶´´¶´
´´¶¶´´´¶¶¶¶´¶´´´´´´¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
´´¶¶´´´´´´¶¶¶¶´´´´´¶´¶¶´´´´´¶¶
´´¶´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´¶
´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´¶´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´¶
´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶




_______e$$$$$$$$$$e
______$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
_____d$$$$$$$$$$$$$$b
_____$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
____4$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$F
____4$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$F
_____$$$"_"$$$$"_"$$$F
_____$$F___4$$F___4$$
_____$$F___4$$F___F$$
_____'$$___$$$$___$$'
______4$$$$$"^$$$$$4
_______$$$$F__F$$$$
________"$$$ee$$$"
________._*$$$$*_
_________$_____.$
_________"$$$$$$"
__________^$$$$
_4$$c_______""_______.$$_
_^$$$b______________e$$$"
_d$$$$$e__________z$$$$$b
4$$$*$$$$$c____.$$$$$*$$$_
_""____^*$$$be$$$*"____^"
__________"$$$$"
________.d$$P$$$b
_______d$$P___^$$$b
___.ed$$$"______"$$$be.
_$$$$$$P__________*$$$$$$
4$$$$$P____________$$$$$$"
_"*$$$"____________^$$P
____""______________^"



WOW WHAT A BEAUTY I LIKE YOURS CHOICE THANK YOU
VERY MUCH FOR NICE BLOG. TAKE CARE,BEST WISHES.

SEE MY WORLDS BEST COOL PHOTOS BANK!

NOW COLLECTION OF WORLD'S BEST PHOTOS
IN ONE PLACE.

NOW VISIT ALL MY BLOG AND ENJOY

http://awanbank.blogspot.com/

http://pakway.blogspot.com/

http://ipakway.blogspot.com/

http://cwildlife.blogspot.com/

http://idesix.blogspot.com/

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Andie said...

Good luck, swish. I wish I could give you some help!

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger KATE said...

I'm so sorry! Moving LICKS, and not in a good way!!
Hang in there!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Yes folks, I can attest to the fact that Swishy's car was disgusting, but TOMORROW, YES TOMORROW I WILL BE SITTING SHOTGUN IN HER BRAND NEW- NEW CAR SMELLING CAR DRIVING WITH HER TO CHICAGO!!!!

FOR THE LAST SWISHY-MANIC HURRAH!!!

I CANNOT WAIT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home