Did I mention how much I love moving?
No? Really? Maybe because I HATE IT WITH A FIERY WHITE-HOT PASSION. That might be the reason I haven't mentioned it.
Actually, I'm not going to make this an "I hate moving" post, because I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for one (or more) of those in the next two weeks. (I move next week. NEXT WEEK. Friday, I think. IS THAT NOT INSANE? I agree. It IS insane.)
This is the stuff I've been trying to do/figure out lately:
* Whether I should take a pre-move trip out to look at apartments. Originally, I was like, yes, totally, of course I'm going to. But my background check took longer than usual because of my old company moving, and then my relocation coordinator--who I'm supposed to schedule everything through--was out with strep throat for a week (which I only found out after she came back to work and my zillion messages). So I just got the ball rolling on that whole thing a few days ago, and I'm supposed to start work on the 20th, so I'm like ... forget it, I'd rather get stuff done here than fly out there and maybe find a place to live, maybe not. (I can live in temporary housing there, which I would probably do anyway, so it's not the end of the world ... I don't think.)
* Whether I should drive out or fly out. They're like, OK, we'll fly you out and ship your car and get you a rental until it gets there. Which sounds great, except of course then neurotic me is like, WAIT! What about my houseplants? WAIT! How am I supposed to pack a MONTH'S worth of stuff into a couple of suitcases? (Because whatever I don't take goes into storage until I get out of temp housing.) So then I'm like, forget it, I'm driving ... but THEN I'm like, I would have to leave AT LEAST a day earlier, and do I REALLY want to drive alone halfway across the country when I'm a COMPLETE EMOTIONAL WRECK? My friend Allee says my plants will be fine and I believe her because she is smart about that kind of thing, and I can always send myself a box of extra things I might need ... right?
* What to do about my mail. I think I've decided to forward it to my new work until I know where I'm going to live (as opposed to a P.O. box or whatever), but ... I don't know. I hate making that decision, because I am very possessive of my mail and I don't want people even GLANCING at my People magazine before I look at it, and mail can sometimes be kind of personal, which makes me sound like I order naughty things and I SO DO NOT but you know what I mean, and what if stuff gets lost and ... did I mention that I'm neurotic? I know.
* Buying a new car. Yes, I am buying a new car before I leave, because ... well, because of this, this and this, and I don't need that kind of drama in a state where I don't know anyone who will take pity on me and come pick me up as I'm swearing and kicking my tires on the side of the road. My dad gets a deal on a bunch of different cars through his work, so that helps narrow it down, but OH, THE DECISIONS! I test-drove cars for like four hours on Saturday and tonight I went to two more dealers and peeked through the windows of different cars with a flashlight (oh, yes, I did). That's a good decision to have to make, so I'm not complaining, but ohhh, I can make myself crazy with all the little details.
* That means I had to clean out my current car so I can trade it in, and umm ... my car is (was) disgusting. It looks great now but it took forever and half the contents are strewn about my hallway as I type, just in time for ....
* The lady to come survey my apartment to make sure it's really only going to take one day to pack. (It will. As long as I throw out the 18 TONS of STUPID CRAP I've accumulated. I save EVERYTHING. WHY, I ask you, do I have every gas receipt from the past five years? Why do I have an entire basket of Happy Meal toys? Why do I have mountains of sticky notes full of phone numbers that are no longer even in SERVICE?) I'm trying to go through stuff before she gets here so I look like I have it together better than I do.
And ... that's about it. Is that an "I hate moving" post? Maybe. I will write something fun tomorrow, I promise. (Or SCARY. Like the story I have about the CREEPIEST GUY EVER.) Fun or scary ... kinda sounds like moving, huh?