Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

I hope there are gas stations there

Thank you so, SO much for all of your nice comments. They made me laugh and they made me cry and, yes, I know that's cliche but it's also totally true. You guys are so totally the best, and I have little daydreams in my head all the time of throwing a big, huge party that somehow all of you can come to. I really might try it one day, just you wait and see.

Well, in Decision '08 news ... it looks like I'm moving next month. I'm not really entirely comfortable with the whole thing yet, and part of me still hasn't committed, at least not emotionally. But I gave them an answer and that answer was yes, so either way, things will start to get really interesting around here. Either I'll have a total meltdown and tell them I changed my mind and then have ANOTHER meltdown, or I'll have a million and one horrific yet amusing-in-a-sick-kinda-way moving stories to tell. Wheeee!

Over the weekend, I was talking to a bunch of my friends and one of them mentioned how observant I am--like, if someone were to describe me, that probably would be one of the adjectives they'd use. Well, OK, there probably would be several others, but it's true, I do notice a lot of things, and I think it surprises people because usually very observant people are quieter and I'm like, blah blah blah, talk talk talk all day long. Anyway, I was talking to her again last night and she said she'd come up with a theory about why it's so hard for me to make big decisions. She said because I'm so observant, all of the details of all the options are really clear to me and it gets overwhelming. I was like, oh! That makes sense, huh?

Orrrrrrr ... I'm just neurotic. Either/or. But it does make sense!

In fact, I'm going to tell you a story now about something I observed the other day. I stop to get gas. It's like 10:30 at night, and a black Explorer pulls up next to me. The music is blaring, the bass is pumping, and the driver, a guy in his 20s, sits in the car, tapping the wheel, bouncing his head with the beat, for several minutes until the song is over.

OK, pop quiz of the day: Who was he listening to? Go on, guess. Jay-Z, Kanye West, hell, Chris Brown and Jordin Sparks?

Nope. Guess again. Justin Timberlake, Beyonce ...

OK, never mind. I'm just going to tell you. He was listening to ... the Cheers theme song. THE CHEERS THEME SONG! "Sometimes you want to go, where everyboddddddy knows your naaaaaaaame. And they're alwaaaaaays glad you caaaaaaame." Yes. THAT Cheers theme song. And, I mean, not just listening to it. ROCKING to it. REVELING in it. By himself, at a gas station, in the dead of night.

It's almost strangely poignant, in a way. ALMOST.

25 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger DeeMarie said...

I would so find a way to come to your party!! I wish you the best in your move. I'm sure it will work out fabulously!!! And here in the blog-world, everyone knows your name. (Ok, so maybe some of us just know your Alias, but still...)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger kim said...

You have to love a kid who's not affraid to rock out a lame song.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Melek said...

hahah...love that he rocks out to the odd and totally non-cool songs like i do. i jam and sing out loud to commercials. "Dial 459-2222 and get a Mr. Gatti's Pizza DEEELivered!" I even turn up the volume. it's just so catchy!

that said, glad a decision has been made. sometimes it's just making that first step that is the hardest.

are you moving to Austin???!! they play the Mr. Gatti's jingle on the radio all the time, so i'm sure you'd love it here ;)

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

I always have a tough making making decisions too.

I love rocking it out to random songs too.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger CelticBuffy said...

Sometimes the hardest part is simply making the decision. Now that it's made you can develop a plan of action. Lame, but true. :)
Just think of all the new places you'll have to explore in your new city!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Patti said...

have i missed where you are moving to? here?!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger shopgirl said...

Go for it girl! Hey, you can always move back to be with your friends if you don't like where you land. AND, you have your friends here!!

Party? I say we have a mini blogher conference - you could host it! It could even be a housewarming party!!

Rocking out to random songs? No lie - I've actually blown out my speakers in my house rockin out to Ricky Martin (twice)
She bang, indeed

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

OMG that is HILARIOUS! seriously, wtf? guess we all have our jams. I'm so happy for you - this is going to be very exciting!!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Well, I'm glad you made a decision -- so you can at least try it out and see how it fits for you. Good news is that you aren't locked into it forever if it isn't right for you.

And I love the Explorer with the bass going to that song. I don't get the bass thing to begin with but even less so when it's something like this!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

That's fantastic. I hope he finds his place where everybody knows his name.

You, on the other hand, are a citizen of the world. Everybody either knows Swishy, or soon will. And we're all better for it.

Now pack your bags and move. It's no big deal. You're gonna be fabulous, fine, happy, engaged in life, and filled with joy de vivre. Plus, they have coffee shops AND gas stations where you're going :)

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Bina said...

How fun would that party be!!!! We would see Swishy in action!

And oh my, you're moving! Just hearing the strange things that happen when you travel for a few days at a time, I can't WAIT to hear how this goes!

But I'm really excited for you.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Elle Charlie said...

This move will be great for you, a new chapter in a terrific life! And if you need to whine I'll totally commiserate, having just moved myself.

That's funny about the Cheers song, and kinda sad...

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Elle Charlie said...

P.S. I hope you move someplace you can put your toes in the ocean!

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger kim said...

trivia: the etymology of the word "decide" is from some word that means "to cut". Somebody told me once that the word "decision" means; to cut in half. So when you make a decision you cut your burden in half -- I always thought that made so much sense. It helps me to not be so ambivalent because who wants to walk around with a whole burden, when I can just make a decision and have half the burden I did a moment prior.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

I LOVE that! It makes SO much sense. I'm not sure that I got rid of half quite yet ... maybe a quarter? I like it though because maybe by the end of the week I will be down to half. :)

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

That's actually pretty danged funny.

And I'll be at that party.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger The Franchise said...

Haha the Cheers theme song? That little diddy is actually on my I-Pod, true story. If I was at a gas station and a girl pulled up jamming to the Cheers theme song, I would propose marriage. On the spot. Hello Lifetime movie of the week idea...

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger XYZinn said...

I am so excited for your new job and for your new adventure. I really do think you will love it! I can't wait to talk to you after you start and hear about everything!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I prefer singing Three's Company...

Come and knock on my door...

Or The Sopranos...

Woke up this morning and a I got myself a gun...

Whoa, I sound like an EDP (emotionally disturbed person)

I scare me

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

This is so great. I'm excited for you. I see this as confirmation that you made the right decision to say no to your former employer. Things are opening up for you!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Beth said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you're moving!!!! I wish to all that is holy you were moving closer to me!!!! I would sell my first born to have you close to me!!!

and "Cheers"???!!! FOR REALS???!!! that is seriously twisted.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Andie said...

ok, that's awesome. (the whole cheers song thing...)

You are totally going to rock your new job.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger dragonfly said...

The Cheers song.. in the dead of night. That strikes me as a bit creepy, somehow.

Glad you made a decision and I can't wait to find out where you're going. :)

p.s. Kim's etymology of the word "decide" comment - pure genius. I'm writing that one down on a sticky note. I too have major issues with decisions, because there are SO MANY aspects to look at. LOL

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger cubmommy said...

You are going to be awesome!! Congrats on the new job and the new adventure. Now you will have more stories to tell us.

Everyone is going to love the adorable and sweet Swishy!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

Good luck with the move aka your next adventure in life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home