Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Music, schmusic

My (very) guilty pleasure summer songs:

Shake it, Metro Station. I basically have a seizure whenever this song comes on. I turn it up super, super loud and start "dancing" in random, jerky movements all over the place while "singing" it at the top of my lungs. The other drivers I pass on the street love it, as do my downstairs neighbors, I have no doubt.

(Please, if you click on that link, do yourself a favor: minimize the video immediately and just listen to the song. They're singing about how they'll take you home if you don't leave them at the front door, and seriously, I know they're TECHNICALLY of age, but they don't look a day over 12. Also, they're wearing, like, tight red pants, which is almost as creepy. Also, the video is completely stupid. And now I've completely talked myself out of liking the song. Not really.)

One Step at a Time, Jordin Sparks. I blame Chris Brown and No Air for this one. I love that song, which opened the door just enough for Miss Jordin to stick in her green-heeled foot and snare me with her peppy message of girl power.

Leavin', Jesse McCartney. I'm officially mortified. I'm also, by the looks of this list, an 11-year-old girl who watches Hannah Montana. I think it's time to move on to ...

Not-so-guilty pleasure summer songs:

Ten Dead Dogs, Wild Sweet Orange. This isn't quite a summer song, but I like it right now, and right now it's summer, so it counts, right?

Free Fallin', John Mayer. Here's the thing about John Mayer, and I promise this is the last thing I am going to say about him. I NEVER had a thing for him, and I'm not even sure I do now (all evidence to the contrary). But that dream I had? It's sort of like the scene in a movie where two people know each other, but there's never anything going on between them ... until the one night at a party where they get a little tipsy, maybe, look at each other a little differently, maybe, and then all of a sudden they're leaning in and kissing and they're not really sure what to do with it, but it's also verrrry intriguing. That's what the whole John Mayer thing is and why I can't shut up about it.

That said, I adore his cover of this song. It's amazing to me how it sounds like such a completely different song. The Tom Petty version (which I also like) sounds upbeat and empowering, a song about breaking away. This one is bittersweet and melancholy, a song about loss. I like it a lot, even if it makes me a little sad.

(Wait, I lied. THIS is the last thing I am going to say about him. I am JUST saying!)

Summer songs I completely hate (that will NOT be linked!):

I Kissed a Girl, Katy Perry. I literally have a visceral reaction when I turn on the radio and hear this song. It's like there's a wild cat being dragged across a linoleum floor right next to me and I'm all, MAAAAAAAKE IT STOPPPPP!

Viva la Vida, Coldplay. It puts me to sleep. Which is fine, I guess, if I am sitting at home at midnight, but not so fine if I am operating a piece of heavy machinery. Like a car.

What about you?

24 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Blogger Candy said...

so I'm still having a hard time developing an opinion about John Mayer.... he's......odd.....(but I really like his voice)

GREAT choices! The latter 2 give me the same heebie jeebies...

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger DeeMarie said...

I kissed a girl is absolutely the worst song ever!! It is total nails on a chalkboard. And I guess I'm a 12 yr old who listens to Hannah Montana. I just got Miley Cyrus' new CD and Fly on the Wall and 7 Things are really fun songs to dance/drive to!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Monnik said...

I still think John Mayer is kind of skeevy. I can't figure out why. But I do like his voice.

My favorite song this summer (and it's probably a lot older and I'm just now finding it) is Matt Nathanson's Come On Get Higher *swoon*

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

I'm so with you - not liking that I kissed a Girl song, at all. They play it here like at 8am and I just find that offensive for the radio to do that to me! And yes, I'm dancing too to Shake It. love. it.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger kk said...

LOL – I immediately picture you dancing like Elaine from Seinfeld when Shake It comes on!

I'm liking Buzzin' by Schwayze

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I missed your warning and watched the video...yikes.
I erased that unfortunate image with a mental picture of you dancing in your car, which cracked me up and made everything okay again.

But John Mayer? Ugh. He takes himself soooo seriously. I somehow doubt he'd be much fun to watch football with, or that HE'D ever dance in the car.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Wow, I can't believe the difference with John Mayer singing Free Fallin'.

And I like the Jordin Sparks song, too. The rest, not so much....

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

Coldplay? Over-played. Argh.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm just so proud of myself for knowing the John Mayer and Jennifer Anniston were dating AND that they broke up.

And apparently I'm in the minority but I actally really like the I Kissed A Girl song. I wonder what that says about me. And the John Mayer cover... totally different song and I like it but for a totally diffferent time and place.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh, and I LOVE Jordin Sparks' shoes. I wish I could pull them off. And I have to wonder how hard it was to get everyone to walk on beat.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Midwest Gent said...

Katie Perry - Kissed a Girl Song is a good song in my opinion...but I am a man... judge for yourself.

Jordin Sparks - I never heard that song before but a DJ mentioned the video when I was driving around this evening. The focus of his discussion- the shoes - calling for a national holiday that every woman wears shoes similar to the ones she wears in the video. I am not quite sure that is a good thing but to each their own.

John Mayer reminds me of Lars Ulrich - lead singer from Metallica - someone who would ultimately love to be trapped in the "House of Mirrors"

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Katy Perry sang at my church once...when she was a "Christian" singer....now she's kissing girls!!! ;)

and Jesse???SWISHY!!!! Come on!!!! You really ARE 11! ;)

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Jon B said...

Metro Station really does have the best summer song this year.
Oddly, other guilty sonets belong to Schwayzes "buzzin" and We The Kings "Check yes Juliet".

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

I love that Metro Station song too. I think there is something special about songs with the work "Shake" in it. Think a couple years back to Rooney's "Shaken" or "Shake it like a Polaroid picture" by Outcast.

I hate the Katie Perry song too, and its so dang catchy. I changed the works to "I kissed a squirrel and I liked it, I hope my puppy don't mind it."

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

My nephew got me hooked on Ten Dead Dogs. Love the way it ends.

Did you see the John Mayer video he shot in NYC for some show where a celebrity goes on the street and interviews people, asking "do you know who I am?" But no one knew who he was and he loved that. Kept laughing at himself. Until then, I didn't like him.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

P.S. Found it. You've prolly seen it twenty times.

http://www.usmagazine.com/john-mayer-do-you-love-celebrities-i-sure-have

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger michelle said...

i like "shake it" myself ... but i think i like it because it kind of sounds like it could have been a song from the 80s ... which makes me feel old because the guys who sing it probably weren't even born in the 80s.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I actually tivo Hannah Montana! Your point is? Which is probably why I love the Jesse and Jordin songs not to mention Jonas Brothers' "Burnin Up". Yes, I did just turn 30.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Angela Williams Duea said...

Yer makin' me feel old! Since I started working from home, I hardly ever listen to the radio, and more often than not it's Contemp Christian. I have heard the "I kissed a girl" song and it is sooooo stupid. Wild cat on linoleum, definitely.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger flea said...

ok, I totally agree with your first 3 songs. LOVE metro station, it gets me so pumped/hyper, and yeah I feel like a molester cuz they look like 12...could also say the same for Jesse McCarthy...and Jordin Sparks how fun & flirty this song is! so uplifting

and I also so hate I kissed a girl and everyone else around me is all "ooh i love this song". i just want to punch them in the face

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I hate hate hate that damn shake it song, but I can't help but sing along to it. It drives me NUTS! LOL

and I don't care, John Mayer's voice is SEXY. Just something about him.

and I'm tired of hearing that particular coldplay song. but I LOVE the song Yellow by coldplay.

Amber by 311 always makes me think of summer. I love that one.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Matt Nathanson 'Come On Get Higher'

Augustana 'Sweet and Low'

I don't have guilty music pleasures this summer but I certainly have had some very guilty reading pleasures...

I think John Mayer is way skeevy too - it's the hair.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Little Ms Blogger said...

OMG...I laughed at your comment about being a 11 year old in regards to your music taste because I was wondering what was up with all the teen heartthrob choices.

However, loved Metro Station, very fun music.

About John Mayer, he's unattached, so I am wondering if you'll have more dreams about him now.

j

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Kristabella said...

Am I the only one who didn't know that Miley Cyrus's brother is the lead singer of Metro Station? I love that song too. And almost all on your list.

But I LOVE I Kissed A Girl. Plus, my almost three year old niece sings it and it is so cute! She's all "cherry Chapstick."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home