Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

You're the best ... arouuuuuund

So I took a break from Jo and the complete DOUCHEBAG Slade to flip channels and OH MY GOSH IT'S THE LAST 20 MINUTES OF KARATE KID!!! Could there BE a more exciting development on an otherwise ordinary Monday night at the end of July?

Let me answer that for you. No. No, there could not.

I totally just called my brother to tell him. My brother who suffered the worst asthma attack of his entire life when I tried the "crane kick" on him and ended up kicking him so hard in the chest, he fell to the living room floor and couldn't breathe for like the next 20 minutes. (I thought for sure I'd killed him and totally bawled my eyes out while promising to make his bed every day and take out the garbage for him and basically do anything he ever wanted, if only he wouldn't die ... or tell my mom and dad.)

(His name, by the way, is also Dan--as in Daniel-San ... get it? get it?--and when he was like 10 or 12, he looked exactly like Ralph Macchio in the final scene. Of course, Ralph Macchio was like 20 in that scene, but whatever.)

Anyway, so I called my brother to tell him, and I was like, I always think of you at this part. And he was like, really? Because the part right BEFORE that is the one that always makes me think of YOU. And I was like, no way! Which part? And he was like, yeah, the part where the girl gets all huffy and is like (valley girl accent), "When are you guys going to GROW UP and stop being such JERKS?"

And then I died laughing. Because ... just trust me.

OK, so the final scene. There are just too many things to love here. The great background music (see title ... also see my head, where it will now be stuck for the next week). The guy in the crowd screaming, "Johnny, you're a creampuff!" The deranged-looking Cobra Kai (Bobby?) bouncing up and down on the side, cackling like a monkey on crack ("Put him in a bodybag, Johnny!!!"). The sick bastard Cobra Kai sensei, who's all "Sweep ... the ... leg" in his menacing half-whisper. Johnny himself, who's really such a nasty bully but whose chiseled jaw and blue eyes kinda, sorta bring out that "I wanna reform the bad boy" bug in nice girls everywhere. The kick, of course. And then, at the end, wise old Mr. Miyagi gazing proudly at his little one-legged champion pupil.

I know it is cheesy, I KNOW IT, but I am literally sitting here with little goosebumps up and down my arms. This movie totally rocks. Watch that scene, it will make your entire week.

(P.S. No computer yet! Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'm sure of it.)

21 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Blogger House of Jules said...

One of my all-time faves, and the day I introduced my nephews to the brilliance that is this movie was one for the books.

I'm sure this was before you started reading my blog, but you & your brother need to check out THIS POST and watch the first video. It has almost all of the original Cobra Kai in it, as well as a big surprise cameo at the end. You'll totally love it!
Jules
House of Jules

PS- I haven't forgotten about your GM prize! I haven't been home much but will mail it out to you this weekend!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Jon B said...

The funniest thing is that I was just listening to "Sweep the leg" by No More Kings....AND 3 years ago I went as a shower for a halloween party. Karate Kid is classic.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Angela Williams Duea said...

I loooove that movie. But wasn't Johnny a jerk in every single movie he ever made?

Oh but my fave Ralph Macchio movie was The Outsiders..talk about an 80s babe-fest!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

You're a creampuff! I LOVE it. And I can't sit through this movie anymore but when it gets to the last 20 minutes, I'm so there. And yes, the clip has made my week. So freaking awesome.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I don't know much about The karate Kid, but Jo and Slade!....he creeps me out. his name is "Slade" come on...for reals?..and he's trying to help her find a new boyfriend? Riiiggghhhtttttttt.....and what did she ever see in him anyway besides $$$$$? gross.

ahhhh, I love gossip with you Swishy!!!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Monnik said...

ha! you're funny. I never got into this movie much, but your enthusiasm for it might make me watch a bit of it next time I'm channel surfing.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Bina said...

I know what you mean! I LOVE that movie, and even though I KNOW what's going to happen every time I watch it, I get all nervous and then excited. It's an amazing movie!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ummm would you lose any and all respect for me if I admitted to having never seen this movie? It's one that I've always wanted to see but... hmmm.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger michelle said...

i love this movie, too ... i remember going to see the karate kid 2 (peter cetera is now singing in my head ... god help me) in the theatre, but the first one was a slumber party rental with my girlfriends, i am sure. i will watch it any time, any where!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Karate Kid and Fight Club, I think you may have an alter ego that wants to kick the shit outta things. Me, I just want to be Angelina Jolie and play all her roles..Gia, Girl Interrupted, Mr & Mrs Smith..

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

And here I thought you went and gone crazy on me.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

OK, that is SOOO weird. I just checked my Recent Keyword activity and there was PUT HIM IN A BAG JOHNNY (DID you google that Swish?) and then it showed up at Manic, and I'm like "When would I have ever written about Karate Kid on my blog?" Then I found it here:

http://manicmommy.blogspot.com/2007/01/karate-kid.html

And yes, swish, you commented! HOW FREAKING IRONIC!!! WE ARE SISTA SOULMATES!

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I got goose bumps just reading your blog about that final scene. HA! I laughed hysterically about you crane kicking your brother. I can laugh since my brother once camel clutched me when we were reinacting WWF (now WWE) and I threw up. Awe gotta love family moments!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Michael said...

I've seen this movie too many times, but never realized that the guy who says "get him a body bag" looks like he has Downs Syndrome.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger shopgirl said...

OMG!! I watched the KK too!! I loved that movie when it came out and was just glued to the TV when it was on the other night - which is why my house didn't get clean for the party I'm having tonight! Oh well, I had, had had to watch Ralph and Elizabeth Shue get together and Mr Miagi?? OMG - Wax on Wax off - I could go on and on and on!!

Did you really almost kill your brother with the crane kick? ha ha!!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger XYZinn said...

LOVE IT!!! And don't ya just love how cute Elizabeth Shue is in that movie?

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger kim said...

if only he wouldn't die ... or tell my mom and dad.)


Laughing so hard. This kind line is why I love you.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Jules said...

I can't decide if I should let my kids watch this movie and then practice annihilating each other, or keep them in ignorant bliss. Decisions, decisions.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger cubmommy said...

That is a great movie! Has the computer arrived yet?

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I love this scene, too!

Karate Kid was one of the first movies I ever got to see. first was return of the jedi, and then I didn't see anything for a long time until Karate Kid. I'll never forget seeing it at the movies whenI was a kid.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

I very often have lines from that movie just pop into my head.

I used to rewind the amusement park scene over and over.

I tried really hard for a long time to catch a fly with chop sticks. my brother could do it with his fingers.

I am way too into this post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home