Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, July 25, 2008

My boring week

This has been the week of getting back to normal life, which means the week of getting done all the stupid crap that I've been putting off lately. Good news: I finally crossed things like "get car registered to avoid furtherrun-ins with the popo" off my to-do list. (That also included putting new plates on my car, which I totally did by myself, thank you very much. Also, can I just say I took my car to a different shop, a shop where they actually LIKE your friend Swishy and don't want to screw her over, and ended up only having to pay $100 instead of $1000 to get my car fixed? BIG yay on that.) So that's the good news. Bad news: The only thing more boring than actually doing errand-y, list-y things is listening to someone else talk about doing them.

But! I did buy a new computer yesterday. I love my laptop. I mean, I do. I love it. I bought it at a day after Thanksgiving sale in ... 2004? 2005? I think 2004. Anyway, I bought it crazy cheap, fell in love at first sight and we've spent many, many quality hours together since. But it has seen much better days. I've worn the H, N, O, K and L off the keyboard, it freezes constantly, it occasionally reboots itself for no reason at all ... it's worn out, poor thing. And, you know, the little hourglass is cute, but not so cute that I want to stare at it for hours on end instead of actually DOING stuff.

So finally, after much angst and neurotic hand-wringing, I decided to pull the trigger on a new laptop. My sister gets a discount on just about every brand of computer through her work, so that part was easy. The hard part? I was pretty sure I wanted to switch from a PC to a Macbook. PRETTY sure. Not TOTALLY sure. I used a Mac at work and a PC at home forever and went very seamlessly between the two, but actually BUYING a Mac seemed like a whole new level of commitment. Then my sister found out she could get a free iPod if I bought a Mac, and that pretty much sealed it. Because isn't that really how you're supposed to make big-ticket decisions?

But THEN I started reading reviews for Microsoft Office for Mac (I can give up my PC, but I can't give up my Word!), and I started freaking out. Some people HATED it, some people loved it. I was like, MAYBE the haters are Mac diehards and the lovers are PC converts and I'm fine ... but what if I'm wrong? What if I can't open any of my old documents? What if I buy a computer I HATE? And then I started groaning and banging my head against the couch cushions.

Me: "What if I change my mind?"
Her: "You can cancel the order before it ships."
Me: "What if it ships and THEN I change my mind?"
Her: "Just don't open the box."
Me, slowly repeating: "Don't open the box."
Her: "Right. Take it STRAIGHT to the Apple store WITHOUT opening the box."
Me: "OK, what if I open the box and THEN change my mind?"
Her: "Then you have a new computer."
Me: "Ahhhhhhh."

It shipped this morning. Fingers crossed, it'll get here Saturday. I'll let you know if I open it.

32 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger House of Jules said...

I'm a mac user (at work AND home) and can't imagine why people would dis Microsoft Office, other than it being a Microsoft product. I have MO on both computers, and though I rarely use any of the programs for doin' what I do, it's fine! Word is Word. I'm totally baffled, unless someone got a bad version, as to what anyone could say about it that would be horrible. I guess I could Google it to satisfy my curiosity, but it's Friday and I'm lazy.

Congrats on the new laptop if you open it!

Jules
House of Jules

PS- I'm going to mail your George Michael prize on Monday! Time has flown since the concert and my head is spinning!

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger flea said...

i've never worked with a mac myself, but most of my office graphics people use mac's and swear by them.

i would be nervous like you too, it's something you've got to take a chance on

i think it will be worth it

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger kk said...

I heart MACs!

I use Word all day at work and it's great – now I just have to get my husband to trade in our PC at home!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

I have pcs ant home and work, but when I finally splurge to buy a laptop, I'm going mac. There are just way too many cool things you can do with them...

hope it works for you!!

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Bina said...

Congrats on the $100! I think.

Ooohh, a new computer. Nothing better, as long as you like it, which I hope you LOVE it cause if you don't ....

I bought a new computer back in, oohhh, November? December? I STILL haven't opened the box!!!!! That's right. NEVER. OPENED. THE. BOX. I may sell it. I may wait. I just can't make up my mind.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Beth said...

decisions decisions!! My daughter LOVES her Mac...LOVES it. Me? Not so much, but I guess I'd get used to it, after a while. I like me PC...I'm old fashioned that way.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

Open the box and come into the Apple light. You'll love it and there is a neat little program called Parallels that basically runs a virtual machine on the Mac. You can have all the windows stuff you want so really it's the best of both worlds.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

DON'T.OPEN.IT.

DO
NOT
UNDER
ANY
CIRCUMSTANCES
OPEN
THE
APPLE
BOX!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUST ME.

Don't open it.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Ha, I'm just fucking witcha! I have no idea how the apple works.

You'll be fine!

Scared ya, didn't I?

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

I crack myself up.

It's either this or go into the kitchen and eat anything and everything covered in chocolate and/or salt. And no, I do not have my period.

My car won't start.

And no, that is not code. My car won't start. I am bored. But tired of working on the computer. Hey, maybe I'll get a laptop and take my work on the road!

Oh wait.

My car won't start.

Why the hell don't I just go over to my own blog and write my own boring post!

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Lori Ann said...

We have a mac and while I don't use Office a ton I do use it now and then and I have never had a problem opening old files that were created on our PC, mostly I use Word or Excel. There are a few differences from the Office version for a PC, but they were really easy for me to adjust to. I love my mac!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger kim said...

I can't wait to read about how much you love it -- I'm so jealous.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger kim said...

manic is cracking me up

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger AlaneM said...

Oh I hate making decisions & the more choies I have the worse it is. I'm always wondering if the thing I didn't choose would have been the better thing.
*sigh*

Although I'm not a mac person I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger THopgood said...

I have never used a mac so can't comment...but congrats on the new laptop anyway...assuming you keep it =)

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hmmm. Apparently the free iPod thing works well. My sister got a new Mac because of the free iPod and then my dad bought an iPod because he found out she got a free one and he wanted one. Yeah, we're a sad sad group here!

 
At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work on a Mac in a PC environment, and files of all major apps - including Office - go back and forth across platforms virtually seamlessly.



Relax - you'll be fine, and you'll love it. Macs are really a joy to use.

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger Melek said...

YIPPEEEE!!! a new mac! what a wonderful day it's going to be when you open the box. i'm totally jealous. i'm typing this on my Mac Powerbook, which i love.

the office suite is fine on a mac. i haven't gotten the latest version yet (i generally wait 6 months or so to upgrade software so they can get the bugs out), but i'll be getting it soon. The old version works just fine for me tho. never had a problem.

send pics of the new mac and the whole unwrapping process :)

 
At 2:42 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

You guys are getting me all excited!!! Yayyy! Thank you!

The complaints were with the '08 version of Microsoft Office but hopefully (HOPEFULLY!) most of the bugs are worked out. Honestly, I just use it for basic stuff anyway, so hopefuly it'll be OK. Fingers crossed :)

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

Congrats on finding a good car shop, AND getting a new laptop!

I have never used a Mac, and use PC's at both home and work, but I know a lot of Mac users who absolutely love them.

As for Microsoft Word, well - - I have used it for many, many years, and was fine. Really. Just fine.

Then they came out with Office 2007 and the "ribbon" instead of the toolbars . . . and I HATE it.

HATE
HATE
HATE
it!

*sigh*

I think the main thing that frustrates me is that there are so many features in Word that I always used in my job that are NO LONGER SUPPORTED IN THE 2007 VERSION.

*sigh*

As if my job isn't difficult enough, Microsoft has to go and make it harder . . .

But I'm happy for you - - enjoy the Mac! :-)

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I miss my Mac. (sob)

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

I've never, ever, ever used a mac. We're anti-apple. ;)

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Kristabella said...

I have a Mac and PC at work. I haven't noticed any difference with Word. It probably matter what you're using Word and office for. I use it for very basic things, so it works for me.

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Cecily R said...

So....did you get it? Did you open it? Tell, tell!!

I have a PC. My mad skillz photgrapher friend has a Mac. She LOVES it.

As for errands, as long as they're done and I'm not doing them, all is right with the world.

 
At 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh*
somebody tell me why
*sigh*
ain't feelin' the why
*sigh*
bullshit meter be high
*sigh*
come on give anotha try

 
At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

golden state
don' hate
damn straight
we be great
bumpin big bootayz
but ain't takin
no mate
check yo fate
don' be late
you gonna rate
when we mate
an' git down
underground
you lost
fin'a be found

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Just A Girl In GA said...

I made the switch from a PC to a Mac in May-- LOVE IT. I have not had any problems with Word at all and the advanatages of using a Mac are worth the switch. I am not sure if this will help but Microsoft sent some updates thru last week (well I got them last week). I enjoy my Mac, it is so easy to multi-task with Spaces and simple tasks like synching the IPod and uploading pictures from my camera are even simplier(is that a word). Good Luck, I hope you open the box because I know you will love it.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I WORSHIP my Mac. I made the switch about a year ago. Word on mac has been fine for me- all the microsoft programs have been.

You'll love it too. I'm positive.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

I have 2 good friends with Macs, and they both love 'em.

But...when laptop time rolled around last summer for my bday, I couldn't do it. I thought I wanted one...but I just couldn't.

Got an HP Pavilion something or another.....

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Two words: External Harddrive start one fresh with anew puter. My mom is switching over the other side i.e. apple airmac. When I get my next next puter I'm gonna soup it up myself. Huge Ass screen and the biggest external harddrive I can find.
Nevr mind that we have on elaptop for travel and three pc's in the house for the two of us..

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Jules said...

I
LOVE
MY
MAC
WITH
A
BIG
PUFFY
HEART

especially the part where they tell you that it's almost virus-free (virtually unvirusable?). Now watch...... I've just cursed myself.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Andie said...

hey swish, you won an award over at my blog! :)

oh, and I keep thinking I want a macbook pro, but then I don't know if I want it for real or not. It's like I"m so comfortable with my pc, I dont' know if I want to change....

i hear ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home