Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, May 16, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things

* Laughing so hard I can't breathe, so much that it gives me one of those "my brain's been deprived of oxygen for too long and now I have a little bit of a dizzy headache" kind of headaches.
* The way my hair looks sometimes at the end of the day, which I have tried and tried to duplicate during the day to no avail.
* The hours of 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.
* Sitting on the bathroom counter with my feet in the sink, listening to the radio, while I'm getting ready in the morning.
* Talking to myself.
* Other people telling me they like talking to me, too.
* Dangly earrings.
* Sitting on my couch, leaning against two or three cushions stacked on one end with my feet propped up on the other end, under my fuzzy green blanket. I will never, ever, ever throw away that couch. EVER.
* My delicious vanilla candle that makes my apartment smell like cookies.
* Getting one of my magazines in the mail, especially one of the ones that comes on a random day (today was InStyle day! yay!)
* Finding live or acoustic versions of songs I already like.
* Making a real CD instead of just a playlist on iTunes. Which is what I did the other day. The songs on it ...

-Chocolate, Snow Patrol (live). One of my favorite songs ever. I love the drums and then the first line: "This could be the very moment I'm aware I'm alive."
-Hands Open, Snow Patrol. Another opening line I love: "It's hard to argue when you won't stop making sense." Also, inexplicably, I love the line that starts: "Put Sufjan Stevens on ..." I have no idea why.
-Sweetness, Jimmy Eat World (live). Not my favorite Jimmy Eat World song, but it is soooo fun when they play it at concerts.
-Black Balloon, Goo Goo Dolls (live). I like the instrumental part in between the first two verses, and then when he's like, "A thousand other boys could never reach you, how could I have been the one?"
-Where Does the Good Go, Tegan and Sara (live). I have listened to the original only a billion times, so it was time to switch it up.
-Lazy Eye, Silversun Pickups. OK, I don't think it is possible to really like this song unless you see the video. It's about completely, COMPLETELY liking someone, but trying to play it cool (you're watching them the entire time, but out of the corner of your eye ... hence the lazy eye). I don't usually like yell-y parts in songs, but I like this one: "I said I relate. I said we relate. It's so fun to relate." You know how sometimes you can be talking to someone and you're like, "Oh, my gosh, ME TOO!" I think those are some of the very best moments in life. It IS so fun to relate!
-Good Things, Bodeans (live). When I hear this song, I picture two people in the very beginnings of liking each other and ... I don't know. It's just cute. No games, no trying to be something else ... just, I like you. This is a good thing. WE could be a good thing.
-Omaha, Counting Crows (live). Kind of like the Jimmy Eat World one ... it's not my favorite of theirs, but it's one of their best live songs. This song is mentioned in a book I like, and it's described as one of those songs that's kind of melancholy and upbeat at the same time, which I think is a perfect description.
-Good Enough, Crosby Loggins. This is in honor of my friend, who watched Rock the Cradle religiously and loves him.
-Come on, Get Higher, Matt Nathanson. I like listening to it on airplanes while I look out the window. Random, I know, but I do.
-Swing Life Away, Rise Against. It's one of those songs I forget about a lot and then I hear it and I'm like, oh, yeah, I like that song.
-After Tonight, Justin Nozuka. I went through a stretch where I would be up really late and have VH1 on in the background, and this song ALWAYS came on at the same time and then I would have it stuck in my head. So I downloaded it to get it unstuck.
-Last Request, Paolo Nutini. I was working late last week, and once everyone was gone I turned up some music and this song came on. I sort of just had this moment where I sat there in the quiet, dark office, listening to this song, and ... I don't know. It just hit me, in a very poignant way.
-Different, Acceptance (live). Love the song, needed a new version.
-Babylon, David Gray (live). I love this line and the way he sings it: "If you want it, come and get it." It also reminds me of this scene from Friday Night Lights, quite possibly my most favorite FNL scene ever.
-Real Love, Regina Spektor (live). A cover of the Beatles song. So sweet, simple and romantic: "Seems that all I was really doing was waiting for you."
-The Heart of the Matter, India Arie. Another cover. I think this is such a great song ... like, for some reason, I really hear the lyrics in this version as opposed to the original, and they're just so pretty. Good job, Don Henley.

And finally ... my little blog turned two years old last week, and I am constantly amazed by all of the smart, funny, nice people who come to say hi and read what I have to say. You are all definitely among my favorite things, and thank you so, so much for that. To celebrate, tell me one of your favorite things and I'll pick a winner on Monday, who will get a copy of that CD (see? there WAS a point to the song rundown!) along with a few of my other favorite things. (NOT my couch. It's mine, and it's too big anyway. But some other fun stuff.)

Have a good weekend, everyone!

27 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

Soem of my favorite things are:
the smell of old books
waking up in the morning to the sound of my kids laughing
sleeping in on a rainy day
tuna fish on a croissant

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Crazed said...

HA! Crosby Loggins is one of my favorite things! HA!
Another of my favorite things is sharing my bed with my friend so that we can talk about our crapy days (weeks) while watching crappy TV.
Sunny days to walk outside and get the added bonus of a little sun tan.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Mylhibug said...

Congrats on your Two-Year anniversary!

Favorite things...
*Watching my children smile
*Seeing my wife smile (especially when I FINALLY finish a project that, may or may not be, two years old)
*Watching the Denver Broncos win back-to-back Super Bowls (what can I say, I'm a guy)
*Reading all the cool blogs(including yours - does sucking up help in the contest?) :) out there, and writing one myself (not as cool as those I read, sorry.)
*Hanging out in Bookstores and Libraries
*Freshly cut grass
*Thunderstorms
*Magarita's
*LOST
*Firefly

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

My favorite thing is my daughter ;)

No really, music, smelly candles (the good kind of smelly), pasta a snuggle from my honey!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

Right now one of my favorite things is stinky, whiney, covered in chocolate cookies and pulling on my leg.

That Jon... :)

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Bina said...

My favorite thing is playing and talking with my 5 year old. She is just SO funny! She always makes me laugh.

The smell of cut grass.

Riding horses.

Sitting on the beach listening to music!

It's amazing how many songs you like that I have never even heard of, so I deserve to win just to have a new experience! LOL

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Newly laid mulch. The way it smells fresh out of the bag, the way it looks around trees and flower beds when you're driving down the street. Love that.

Love your blog. It was one of the first ones I found when I started blogging and I wanted to be a blogger like that. I can't be, because you're unique and so cool (ok, I've heard of Don Henley and India Arie, whee!) but just sayin' I love your blog!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I love walking my dogs on the beach.

At least until they roll in something nasty. That takes it down a notch.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger J... said...

Being drenched in a sudden rain on an otherwise warm day. Music that hugs my heart. E-mails from a faraway friend. The feeling of accomplishment I get when the inspiration to write hits and the words just flow from my fingers.

Congrats on your two year anniversary! I hope that my blog succeeds as yours has!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Happy Birthday Swishy Blog!

Now I want to make a CD...

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

Curling up on my couch, wearing my comfy jammies and my comfy slippers, sipping a cup of hot tea, and having one of my furbabies (kitties) curled up in my lap.

It just doesn't get any better than that . . . :-)

Happy 2-year anniversary!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Andie said...

My favorite things:

god, i could go on forever

getting magazines in the mail
getting happy mail
sleeping in on a sunday morning
quiet thursday nights at home alone
dog kisses
good sushi
"pretty" and "skinny" days

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

Great list and congrats on two years! My favorite things are my dogs, friends, coffee and wine. Oh! Stand up comedy, love that!

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I love your list Swish!!!

I also love Sufjan Stevens
skittles
rice krispie treats
tapioca pudding
lazy Saturdays
pink lip gloss
flip flops!
reading
when my dog flops down beside me and sighs a very contented sigh

talking to my Joey on the phone
getting e-mail
did I say flip flops already? ;)

and I LOVE MY SWISHY!!!!!

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

Sorry to double dip, but I love Snow Patrol too. I think I have all the lyrics memorized to that CD!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

I know this is gonna get me axed from the contest, but seriously, one of my favorite things in the entire world is when I'm sitting at my computer and Swish and I have these totally hilariously random Instant Message conversations where we just crack up all over the place and finish each others' instant message thoughts! WHO DOES THAT!?!?!? And then we finish our instant message conversations with total smiley faces jumping all over the places and nighty-nights and XOXOXOs all over the places and YOU KNOW I LOVE YOUs because we really do love one another. She is like one of the truest most sincere persons I know who just makes you happy to be around her. She truly lights up a room when she enters it.

Love you Swish, and if this doesn't get me a freaking CD, then go blow it out yurass! XOXOXOXO LOVE YOU!!!! NIGHTY NIGHT!

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She She said... I love waking up on Saturday morning and temporarily forgetting what day it is... then realizing it is not a work day and rolling over drifting happily off to snooze in. I love the smell of the air near the ocean ... salty and crisp - it just makes me happy to be alive. I love the feeling when you are first dating a cute guy and the relationship is new and sexy and flirty and all day long at work you can't stop thinking about him and his kiss or the conversation you had ... not that this is happening to me right now... but from memory it sure is one of my favorite things!!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Swish -- I need to trade lives with you for a day. I'd miss my kids and all, but I can't remember the last time I was chill enough to sit on the sink to get ready. I feel old!

And one of my favorite things (so hard to narrow it down!):
The first warm day that stays warm enough with sun and just a touch of a breeze that I can eat out on my deck (and grill!) for the first time of the year. The second, third, fourth, etc times are almost as nice....

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger House of Jules said...

One of my favorite things is seeing a concert at an outdoor venue on a beautiful night, a night that I haven't been struck down with an allergy attack while at that outdoor venue. :)

Happy blogiversary!

Jules
House of Jules

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Patti said...

one of my fav things: making it home after a long run. whoo-boy, i am never so happy to lay in the grass and just breath.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous angel said...

one of my favorite things in this world (maybe my favorite) is when my old shih tzu snuggles up in the curve of my hip to take a nap on the bed. i can never resist turning over and curling completely around him to smell his sweet, sleeping doggy scent. at this time, i feel more relaxed and happy than at any other time. man! i love that dog...

i'm glad you did this contest...it finally gives me a chance to delurk and say how much i like your blog! :o)

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Happy blog birthday!
A few of my favorite things:
The Sound of Music
The smell of lilacs
Singing to a good song in my car really loud!
My family.

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous kristabella said...

Happy Birthday, Swishy's Blog! One of my favorite things? Besides Swishy? My DVR. While it has made my attention span non-existent, I'm not sure what I did without it!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger THopgood said...

IKEA
The pinky toe on a newborn. So small...there are actually bones in that little piggy. Amazing.
Hazelnut coffee
Thunderstorms
The smell in the air after a thunderstorm

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

Some of my favorite things:
- waking up in the middle of the night with a cat laying on my back.
- pinot grigio and cheddar cheese
- spooning with Mr. Hot
- dark, dark chocolate and a cup of hot black coffee
- Breyer's vanilla ice cream

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Thank you all for the congrats and the nice comments! You are awesome! And I loooove your favorite things ... I keep going oh, yeah, I love that too!

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

One of my favorite things is being in my parent's back yard with the Chickens running around. They're such funny, cute pretty birds.

I also love when I check my e-mail and find a new comment on my blog. (when I'm not lazy and neglecting it)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home