Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Reading is fun ... damental

Hi hi. I have been a naughty blogger lately but I am going to be better, I promise, and what better way to be a better blogger than fulfilling my end of a tag? Ms. Allison tagged me to ...

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people and post a comment to the person who tagged you once you've posted your three sentences.

OK, the book: Belong to Me, by Marisa de los Santos. The lines: "You know what I mean. It's a song about keeping a place in your mind that you can get away to." "I do," said Elizabeth, quietly, "I know exactly what you mean."

Can I tell you how much I love this book? Can I? I LOVE THIS BOOK. (Those lines, by the way, make absolutely no sense out of context, but trust me, it's a sweet little scene.) If you like books, if you like words, if you like ... I don't know, anything ... please do yourself a favor and read her book Love Walked In and then read this one immediately after. They are SO good.

While I'm at it, a few of the other books I've read lately (shocking but true, I don't spend ALL my free time watching The Hills) ...

Remember Me, Sophie Kinsella. The very definition of a beach read. If only life were really a Sophie Kinsella book!

The Opposite of Love, Julie Buxbaum. Best lines of a first chapter ever: "Last night, I dreamt that I chopped Andrew up into a hundred little pieces, like a Benihana chef, and ate them, one by one. He tasted like chicken. Afterward, I felt full but slightly disappointed. I had been craving steak."

Certain Girls, Jennifer Weiner. True story: I was saving up the last, oh, third of this to read on the plane when I went out of town last month and OF COURSE I left it in the car (one of MANY calamaties that struck during that particular trip). I was SO mad. I marched straight to the bookstore in the airport and was ready to buy another copy but they hadn't gotten their shipment in yet so I had to get Details magazine instead. (Random Swishy fact: I was once a finalist in a short story contest judged by Ms. Weiner herself. Fun!)

Change of Heart, Jodi Picoult. I just-just finished this. It's an interesting premise, for sure, though I think my favorites of hers are still My Sister's Keeper and Nineteen Minutes.

Steve the Penguin, Mahlena-Rae Johnson. You might know Mahlena-Rae as Bianca Reagan, her alter ego at SteveThePenguin.com. If you've ever gone to a high school reunion, thought about going to a high school reunion, dreaded going to a high school reunion ... this is the book for you.

And I read this when it first came out, but Allison's book The Department of Lost and Found is recently out in paperback, so if you haven't read it yet, now's your chance. It's a great book and I'd highly recommend it for your next car ride, plane trip, poolside lounging or couch vegging session.

AND! Two very dear friends of mine also are or will soon be in a bookstore near you--Trish Ryan's book He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not just came out, and Jess Riley's book Driving Sideways comes out next week. I cannot say enough nice things about these two. They are lovely, funny girls who are tons of fun to be around and even better writers, so chiggity check them out.

Also! Emily Giffin's new book comes out in, like, 12 hours, which I am very, VERY excited about. Chances are, if you can't find me in the next few days, I will be under my desk or tucked in some corner somewhere reading my little heart out.

So there you go ... doing my part to promote literacy in America. It's not all McDreamy and Michael Scott over here at Swishyville! (Although I AM about to go watch the rest of the Survivor finale. Hee.) Give me your summer reading recommendations if you've got 'em ... and if you feel so inclined, consider yourself tagged!

17 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger House of Jules said...

I always wonder who comes up with these tag ideas. Especially the ones like THIS, with the specific steps to take the the page to turn to and the line to quote, etc.

Anyway, I'm sure you watched The Hills. We need to discuss. When you have time, e-mail me what you thought of the whole Audrina thing, and how it is that Heidi still has her job at Bolthouse (assuming she does still have the job and assuming it was actually a job and not just for the cameras in the first place).

casajules (at) gmail (dot) com

Jules
House of Jules

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Ree said...

For snort out loud funny, pick up Jen Lancaster's new one. Such a Pretty Fat.

Watch for Kristabella sightings. And the bearskin story.

Veil of Roses is really good, too. Laura Fitzgerald.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

Right now I'm reading Suzanne Finnamore's divorce memoir, SPLIT. I love, love, LOOOOVE this book. She is such an amazing writer it makes me feel faint.

Hey, thanks for the pimpage & linkage!! I'm sending you an email right about.....NOW!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Trish Ryan's book came out? How did I miss that!!

And hey, I've never read a Jodi Picoult book before, but my friend just gave me her "Nineteen Minutes" to read. I'm at page 83 but man it is GOOD!!!!!!

Okay, now I'm going to have to find He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

Is Belong to Me, a sequel to Love Walked In? I love the way she writes

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Queen of the Road by Doreen Orion

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Liz said...

I love Jennifer Weiner! Love. Good in Bed is my most favoritist book ever. And Emily Giffin's new one should be by my door when I go home. Ah, chick lit, how I love you so.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hmm, I sense a Manic influence in your book selection. And you have no idea how jealous I am that you have time to read books. I'm still struggling just to get the newspaper in!

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Hey! Maybe I'M influencing HER! :)

Belong to Me isn't technically a sequel, but has some of the same characters ... Cornelia, Teo, Clare. I was VERY skeptical but I loved it even more than her first one, which I totally did not think was possible! SO good!

(Also, P.S.--totally loving Emily's book so far!)

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Melek said...

wow, we're like reading twins.

i just finished Certain Girls. loved it. i wasn't real thrilled with Jodi Picault's Change of Heart altho 19 minutes and My Sister's Keeper (and The Pact) were my favorites. And, i had Emily Giffin's book release on my calendar so i'd remember to go get it :)

i'm gonna look for Trish's book for my flight tomorrow. i'll be done with my current book "day of fog" tonight i'm sure.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger LaskiGal said...

OMG--we have such similar tastes!!! I own/borrowed most of these!

Emily Giffin--a new book! Woo hoo!!!

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I cannot wait to read Marisa de los Santo's new book. I LOVED her last book, and have been looking forward to this for eons.

Yay for reading Swishy :)

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Michael Scott--

Who's Michael Scott? Are you confusing my two loves? It's MICHAEL JOHNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bwhahaahahahahh!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

OOh, and Jess, regarding Suzanne Finnamore--ironically, the first book I read from her was OTHERWISE ENGAGED! fUNNY how art imitates life or whatever that saying is!

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

i'm in the middle of about three books right now - eat, pray, love; animal, vegetable, miracle (by Barbara Kingsolver - very interesting if you're into eco-friendly information on sustainable/organic farming and such), and an Isabel Allende memoir.

But... I'm dropping all of them in an instant when Amazon delivers my copy of Jess's Driving Sideways next week.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Vanessa said...

You and I love so many of the same books! I just went to Jen Lancaster's signing tonight and she was fabulous! ( you likely already know this since I have told *everyone*)

 
At 12:44 AM, Anonymous kristabella said...

Thanks for the book recommendations. Since we like the same authors, I'm going to have to put some of those on my list! I'm so excited to read Jess's book! I got my copy yesterday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home