Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, May 02, 2008

Beautiful people

I am going to be quick because I am super tired and oh, by the way, totally coming down with a cold even though I NEVER GET SICK but ...

People's Most Beautiful People issue comes out today! I LOVE that issue. Does that make me superficial? Well, then, GUILTY. I love it and I always, always have. I remember being really young, like 8 or 9 years old, and going up to my room and shutting the door and not coming out until I'd gone through the whole thing from cover to cover. It is one of my favorite things ever.

OK, but ... I do not get Kate Hudson as the most beautiful person in the world! We had a whole conversation about it at work the other day. Kate Hudson is cute. Kate Hudson is fine. Kate Hudson, however, as the cover girl of the 100 most beautiful people in the world? RANDOM! The thing is, usually there's some reason--some newsworthy, buzzworthy reason--behind why magazines pick their cover subjects for these issues. Like Matt Damon as the Sexiest Man Alive? He was in one of the biggest movies of the year, and Brad Pitt and George Clooney had been jokingly campaigning for him for years. It made sense. Kate Hudson does NOT make sense. She's not starring in a summer tentpole movie. She's not dating Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise or George Clooney. She's not Angelina Jolie. I do not get it.

Actually, I get it a little bit. I went through the photo gallery of past cover stars, and you've got your Brad Pitt, your Nicole Kidman, your Julia Roberts, your Jennifer Aniston, your Halle Berry. But then all of a sudden last year they go with Drew Barrymore. And then this year, Kate Hudson. Like they're purposely trying to send this message of, you know, "We embrace nontraditional beauty! Earthy chicks are beautiful too!" Which ... of course they are. But it's the MOST beautiful people issue! I want my George Clooney on the cover!

I know, I'm terrible. But at least I didn't say anything about RUMER WILLIS being in there. Rumer Willis! In my most beautiful people issue!

Oh, well. At least there will be shirtless Jason Taylor action. Oh, yes, it's true. LOVE this issue!

(Obligatory job update: There's not exactly one, even though the deadline theoretically was today. I am like the most noncommittal person alive. Or, as my darling coworkers prefer to call me, "high-maintenance" or merely "DRAMA" with, yes, all caps. I hope to have an update soon. Like sometime before I die.)

25 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger House of Jules said...

You & I are SUCH like-minded PEOPLE (get it? "People"?!) that these were my 2 thoughts when I saw Kate Hudson on the cover:

1) On some level, Goldie must hate that her daughter is the younger, perkier carbon copy of herself.

2) There must be movie studio funding behind this year's choice.

Seriously. I think Kate Hudson is pretty, though it does creep me out that she looks SO MUCH like her mom; and I agree with everything else you wrote about her. I thought it was out of left field. On one hand refreshingly so, and on the other, disconcerting. Besides, I still can't believe they didn't pick Javier. ;)
Jules
House of Jules

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

George Clooney, definitely. Even Kate Hudson must have thought, "why me?"

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Bina said...

Kate Freaking Hudson? Most Beautiful? Give me a break!

Now I have to search for this on line cause I can't leave work to go get one cause I'm the only one here. And it's going to storm. Bad. So I'll get a couple hundred calls of lights out. And people will ask WHY their lights are out. Cause we only serve electricity to STUPID people. Or so it seems.

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rumor Willis? She made the list? Is that a joke? Or did they also have 100 non-beautiful list? That must be it....
Sorry but you know it's true!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

I totally adore Kate and I agree with you...it does seem off a little to have her as the cover girl. She is quirky & cute. I always expect to see peeps like Angelina Jolie and Halle Barry on that cover - guess things are a'changing! Don't worry about not making a decision on the work situation - when I was going through mine, I waited it out waaaay past the deadline. Secretly I was hoping for someone else to make the decision for me - much much easier that way

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

RUMER WILLIS? No way. She's, er... unfortunate looking.

Is Taylor Kitsch in that list???

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Patti said...

when i heard rumor made the cut i thought "this is the demise of the most beautiful list as we know it."

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

Ok, I just looked at some of the photos online. Jason Taylor is HOTTTTT. Oh man.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

RUMER WILLIS?????????????????????????????????????????????

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

Like they're purposely trying to send this message of, you know, "We embrace nontraditional beauty! Earthy chicks are beautiful too!" Which ... of course they are. But it's the MOST beautiful people issue! I want my George Clooney on the cover!

Totally agree with this statement! Isn't Kelly Osborne on that list? That is a head scratcher too.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I'm so getting this magazine tomorrow!

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Jenster said...

Kate Hudson is definitely cute. Beautiful? Um, not really. But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Rumer Willis??? Seriously??? What gives??

But then I don't think Julia Roberts is beautiful, either. She's pretty in an ugly sort of way. JMHO.

Thank you for keeping me updated on these happenings. Maybe I'll pick up a PEOPLE today... Maybe I should just subscribe...

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I don't get it either...I mean, ya, Kate is CUTE but BEAUTIFUL? There's a big difference in the 2. but thank you Baby Jesus, they did not put Rumer on the cover!!!! AAACCCKKKK!!!! The magazine would go up in flames if they did that! That girl is.....now very beautiful..

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger flea said...

oooh i luve the most beautiful pps mag too! will so have to pick this up so I can read on the plane next weekend. and you know, I kinda liked Kate Hudson being on the cover, she somehow seems more human to me than Angelina...weird??

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Donna said...

So not into the celebrity thing, I had to google Kate Hudson and Rumor Willis to see what you were talking about! I think in a certain way Kate Hudson is pretty, and well Rumor Willis (at least in the picture I saw) reminded me of a female Spock!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger THopgood said...

Hubby and I were just thumbing through this issue yesterday. I even drafted up a "hubby's commentary" post...but didn't post it. Kate looks just like her mother...

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Katie said...

haha, i am glad that someone else thought that it was strange that Kate Hudson was on the cover!

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous kristabella said...

I stopped liking People's selections years ago. Kate Hudson is cute, but she is TOO skinny and she needs to eat a damn sammich and CUT HER KID'S HAIR!

Rumer Willis I do not get.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Barrie said...

May you get well soon. From never being sick. Ha! :)

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Angela Williams Duea said...

I think Kate is adorable but why isn't Angelina Jolie on the cover EVERY year? And Matt Damon? Yuck...

Hope you're feeling better soon.
angelawd

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Kelly Osborne and Rumor Willis????

WTF?????

I guess I should have looked a little more closely before I flipped (directly) to the crossword!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Andie said...

please tell me my boyfriend is in it. Although, apparently he got engaged :(

and I agree with jules- it's FREAKISH how much Kate Hudson looks like her mother. Their smile is exactly the same!

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Kate Hudson. She is natural and fun. Plus, you can't have the same five people on the cover every year. George, Brad, Matt, Nicole, and Halle are getting OLD, middle aged half way to wrinkletown. I think Kate and Drew are a new generation of beautiful.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

I just can't get over the name RUMOR.

Gee, I think I'll name my future kid, "Scuttlebutt." Or maybe, "Conjecture."

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

You can't end your post with "Like sometime before I die" and then not update for almost a week because people will really be afraid that you've gone and died!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home