Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Things I'm liking today

You guys are so great. I honestly and truly feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have such smart, kind, nice people reading my blog. Thank you so much!

I still can't breathe half (OK, more than half) of the time ... BUT! It will all be over soon! In the meantime, a few things (other than you all) that made me smile today ...



I am SO one of those people whose mood shifts with the weather. Sunny skies equal a sunny Swishy. Actually, make that sunny AND spring-y, because that also means I get to ...

* Eat outside! I really, really like eating outside. So today I did.

* Wear flip-flops! It seriously makes me incredibly, irrationally happy to wear flip-flops to work. I have a pair of old black ones that I wear all the time that are, like, molded in the shape of my feet.

* Drive around with the window down! The best, best, BEST is when a good song comes on the radio. Tonight I got Mr. Brightside, Bleeding Love and ... crap. I forget the last one. But three good songs! In a row!

Let's see, what else do I like today ...

* My friend Jill's sister's blog. Whenever I look at it, I'm like, awwww! Pretty! It totally makes me want to redecorate ... I mean decorate.

* The Hills. You know how in Happy Gilmore, he's like, find your happy place, Happy! Go to your happy place! My happy place is actually--I swear this is true--wandering down the aisles of an almost-empty grocery store, Walmart or Target at night. It's quiet, the Muzak is a little louder than usual, there are all kinds of things to look at ... just trust me on this one. Anyway, the TV equivalent of my happy place right now is The Hills. I turn it on, and it's like aloe on a sunburn. Just like ... ahhhhhh. There was this "Words of Wisdom from The Hills" montage today on Gawker and it seriously made my entire life. At least for an hour.

* Craig Ferguson. I forget about his show a lot, but he is SO FUNNY.

* The NBA playoffs. I love the NBA playoffs. But something I love even more than the NBA playoffs? The NBA's whole "where amazing happens" campaign. I know! Random! But I LOVE IT. Give me a pretty montage and some soaring instrumentals (like here), and you've got me. I am SUCH a sucker for that stuff. Every single time I hear that music, I drop everything and get all misty-eyed and goosebumpy as I reflect on the power of dreams and hard work and determination. Or something like that.

Anyway, there are new commercials now with the playoffs, and ohhhh, how they've sucked me in. I watch these and I am like putty in the NBA's little hands. I can't decide if I like this one or this one the best.

"Me? I like the fear. It means I'm close. It means I'm ready."

I HATE Kobe Bryant. And yet I just quoted him. I TOLD YOU!

20 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Beth said...

ahhhh. MY Swishy is BACK!!!!! I love MY SWISHY!!!!

and what is it about flip flops?...they just make me smile when I look at them....and I wear them for as long as I can...into October! Once you put the flip flops on, it's hard to take them off!!!

nice picture too....don't you just love Spring with all the flowering trees?

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Hang in there. And breathe. :)

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Trish said...

A sunny day and flowering trees is good for the soul.

My advice? Do the brave things now because they only get harder to do later on.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger LaskiGal said...

I love the nice weather--and my moods are the same way. Which is why I've been outdoors instead of indoors commenting and posting on blogs . . .

I have to stay away from HGTV from time to time . . . I get that URGE to decorate myself . . . and it drives hubby NUTS.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Yay for Sunny Swishy!!!!

I'm going to get my sad winter toes spiffed up and painted today so I can break out the flip-flops, too. Such a happy time :)

As for the NBA playoffs...you're totally right. Only we have to get you a Kevin Garnett quote ASAP!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Bina said...

I haven't seen those two commercials, and yea, they are so totally cool! I can't pick a fav either.

And yea, I love eating outside! But there is such a small window to do that here. It's either too hot or too cold most of the time.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Andie said...

who are you rooting for?

I hope the hornets. ;)

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

I love love love this weather too! Eating lunch outside is the bomb.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Crazed said...

"Are You Sure?"
Hate Kobe Too! You must watch this!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eCNsmn9dfuQ

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger KATE said...

I'm glad even in all the job craziness you can find all the happy things! good job & I love your happy list!!

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

I LOVE flip flops like nothing else. They are seriously the best footwear ever!

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

I think this needs to be your new motto:

"Me? I like the fear. It means I'm close. It means I'm ready."

Get ready to face the fears of what life is about to bring to you, the unexpected, the wonderful!

I wore flip-flops all day, got a fun pedicure for the conference which I will desperately be missing you!!!!!

But I will call.

Oh, and Beth, way up there, I know you love Swishy, but SHE'S MINE!!! I HAD HER FIRST!!! : )

Cyber Chick Fight!

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Melek said...

i'm TOTALLY with you on the weather mood-swings. when i lived in VA, at the first sign of a tree blooming i'd get all happy and pull out the shorts and sandals.

as for the NBA playoffs, i tell ya, i just can't do it anymore. when i was married he got NBA league pass every year, and man, that was a lot of basketball. i haven't watched a game since...

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Gotta love the little pleasures in life! Even when you can't stop to smell the flowers because you can't breathe. Details, really.

We're totally with you on eating outside at my house. Kids are constantly begging to have a picnic, which involves carrying a Little Tykes picnic table outside and reminding them every 30 seconds to stay sitting down and facing forward then running into the house for paper towels to clean up spilled milk and ... yet I put myself through it every time they ask!

But I totally don't get the NBA thing. Can't do it. Any other sport, yep, but not NBA.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sounds like things are starting to fall in line! Hang in there and remember to breathe!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jules said...

You know...... I hear that there is a really comfy hamock and some snazzy flip-flops over at....... Beth's blog. Probably good Beach Boys music too. Maybe if you crack your windows you can hear it as you drive past. Just making an observation, ya know?

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

Must go read the other posts. Be back.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

My black flippies are molded to my feet too!!!

The weather is the only thing that's keeping me from a padded room right now. My whole house is sick and I keep walking outside just I can breathe non toxic air...

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Just popped back over here to say I hope you have a great week. Sending positive thoughts your way!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

I agree with you 100% on the awesomeness of having the windows down with Mr. Brightside on the radio.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home