Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, February 18, 2008

To tell ... or not to tell

So. I'm in this store returning something, and I stop by the makeup counter as part of my neverending quest to find a lipstick to replace my soon-to-be-gone-forever discontinued one. I draw a little bit of lipstick on my hand, look it over and then go on my merry little way. I'm also on the phone, and I use my left hand--the lipstick hand--to reach across my face and grab my phone from my right ear so I can hang up before I get to the counter.

I know that's a lot of detail. I'm telling you all that so you can understand how I could have gotten back to my car, looked in my rearview mirror and seen LIPSTICK on my chin. I wasn't quite a little kid who got into her mom's makeup, but it was still OBVIOUS. I mean, nobody INTENTIONALLY puts lipstick on their chin. Immediately, before I even wiped it off, my mouth dropped open and I was like, "Why didn't the woman at the counter TELL ME???"

And then I thought, OK, would *I* tell someone? I think that I would. But then I started running through different scenarios: What if someone was walking by with toilet paper stuck to their shoe? A big glob of gum on their butt? What if a huge booger was coming out of someone's nose? Or their fly was down? What if a woman had a button undone in the middle of her shirt?

Of course I would say something to a friend of mine. But a total stranger? I would like to think I would, but then I was like, OK, BE HONEST, would you REALLY? Toilet paper, yes. I have done that lots of times, although one time someone in an airport didn't hear me so I just went up behind her and stepped on the toilet paper so it came off as she walked away. Gum? I THINK so ... I mean, it could potentially be a LITTLE bit awkward to admit that you were looking at someone's butt, but I think I would.

The clothing issues ... I would definitely tell a woman her button was undone, but I don't know about a guy whose fly was undone. Once again, you have a potentially awkward situation. ("Excuse me, sir, but were you aware that your barn door is open?" "Excuse me, but I was just admiring your ..." I mean ... AWKWARD!) The big one for me, though, is the booger. If I am being 100 percent, totally honest, I don't know if I would! If I'm in a public bathroom, yes. If I'm looking at the same rack in a clothing store as someone else and not that many people are around, probably. (You know, just in a "Go like this" while rubbing my nose kind of way.) But I don't want to EMBARRASS anyone--and the "someone just told someone else over the age of 10 to wipe a booger off their face" aftermath can be even MORE embarrassing than telling them in the first place! But it's more embarrassing to walk around with a huge booger hanging out of your nose, right? So I would like to think that most of the time I would. But I don't know! A total stranger?! I DON'T KNOW!

I still think the woman at the store should have told me about the lipstick, though. I am JUST saying.

26 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

She should have told you but maybe she was in awe of your capability pull it off and manage to still look gorgeous.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Melek said...

i would definitely say something about lipstick on your chin, TP on your shoe, or a button undone. but the fly open, gum on butt or booger....hmmm, i'd have to say probably not. bc like you said, it's almost more embarrassing for them to let them know.... but with friends, i'm all about "HEY! YOU HAVE SPINACH IN YOUR TEETH!!" :)

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Monnik said...

She should have told you - especially since she worked the counter.

Once, right before I had to give a presentation to a bunch of people at work, a total stranger saved my ass from extreme embarrassment (quite literally)when she came over to tell me that the seam of the skirt I was wearing had split and my underwear was quite visible. Thank God it was a long skirt - I rolled it up so that it was knee length and the seam was hidden.

If that angel hadn't told me, I'd have died.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

That is quite the dilemma, but you do have to ask the question. Maybe it was an odd brightly colored birthmark? or something you had done intentionally.

The first time I experienced Ash Wednesday, I really wondered what had happened that so many people were walking around with dirty foreheads.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I agree...my other pet peeve, when I have something in my teeth and no one says anything to me. It drives me crazy and I wonder why didn't anyone say anything.

If I had been checking you out I would have totally mentioned the lipstick...then you could have written a post about the freaky checkout lady ;)

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Jules said...

She TOTALLY should have mentioned it, or at least offered you a mirror if she didn't want to actually say something about it! Sheesh!

As for the lipstick, have you tried Prescriptives? I know they will custom mix certain things for each person, so maybe they'd do a lipstick? Worth a phone call at least....

Jules
House of Jules

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Beth said...

oh girl, I would SO tell ANYONE if they had lipstick on their chin, toilet paper on their shoe, or a big boogger hanging outta their nose.

Kindness goes a long way! and I would want someone to tell me!!

she SO should have told you....bitch.... ;)

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

I totally agree - she definitely should have said something to you. Obviously she had to have known it was their lipstick on your chin from your trial hand! And I tell strangers, you kind have to make it light hearted as not to make it too embarrassing b/c its stuff that happens to everyone

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Patti said...

open fly: def

lipstick on chin: def

toilet paper stuck anywhere: def with giggles

booger: oh hell to the no. much more milage out of the ick factor.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Moanna said...

Maybe she was on drugs...

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger LaskiGal said...

I so agree with you! I am one of those people who say something. I can't help it. I try to always be nice about it, of course. But, I figure I would want someone to tell me.

I remember that I told one woman she has some "stuff" on the back of her pants. I swear you would have thought I had given her a kidney!!!

*I hope it is OK that I added you to my blog roll . . . thought I'd be polite and ask :)

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Chrissy said...

Yeah it is the whole dilemma you are going to embarrass the person if you tell them, which I always think about, but in the long run I usually tell people so they do not further embarrass themselves.

And yes the lady should have said something to you or else mentioned that you should look in a mirror.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger XYZinn said...

I am busting up right now. I hate when people don't tell me that I've got something on my face!

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

I didn't really care that much, but it did TOTALLY make me think, OK, what do I usually do? I think sometimes it depends on what mood I'm in, too. And the severity of the situation. Listen to me, all analytical.

TTQ, you are so sweet. And Laskigal, of course! Which reminds me (again) ... my sidebar is soooo woefully out of date, it is pathetic. I WILL update it one of these days!

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger michelle said...

i would tell ... it's good karma. :)

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger mylhibug said...

I must say that I would hope someone would tell me about the lipstick on my chin, my wife might get suspicious...

The toilet paper thing, yes I would let someone know, same goes for the fly, and gum. Boogers however, I'd rather not. I know, it's weird but, it's me I guess. :)

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

Since she was at the counter, yea, she should have mentioned it.

I don't know though, how often I would approach a complete stranger on the street in the same situation. I think the embarrassment if someone told me would be worse than figuring it out at home when no one can see my face turn bright red...

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Bina said...

I definitly tell people things like that, but honestly, I've never had to make the horrible choice as weather or not to tell them a booger is coming out of their nose!!!! I might be too embarrased, but like you said, I just don't know.

Now, telling someone they smell like they haven't had a bath in a week, or like cat pee, or rotten fish? Nah, I just back away slowly! Don't wanna stir up the stink anymore than necessary!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Barrie said...

It would depend on how brave I was feeling that day. So, some days I'd tell all and some days I wouldn't. (Although I'd always let a friend know).

And should a makeup counter person who has kleenex and wipes at her disposal tell a potential customer she has lipstick on her chin? Seems like a no brainer.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

She should have told you! I would have told you. I go by the rule that if I would want someone to tell me, then I tell the person in question. Whether I know them or not. Because that's just how I roll. ;)

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Donna said...

The lady at the store should absolutely tell you. Your a customer, and conversation is already happening, you can easily slip in you might want to check the mirror I think you got a little of this fabulous lipstick on your chin! Simple enough! Bad for her not to tell you!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Lipstick absolutely. Breastfeeding mom with her nips still hanging out, yes. Someone with their fly down. Sure thing.

I think I tell 'em all. You know me though.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Angela WD said...

My husband just suffered through this. Right after he left the stage at church, after announcing upcoming events & ministries and so on, one of his HIGH SCHOOL YOUTH GROUP GIRLS told him his fly was open. Good. Lord.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Angela WD said...

By the way, my policy is, if the person can do something about it, I tell them. If they can't do anything, I pretend it never happened.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger AlaneM said...

Ok will you quit trying to make me pee? Geez!
LOVED the part about the open fly.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks those things!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I've found that generally, cosmetic counter ladies are not really all that helpful.

they have their own agenda.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home