Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Music makes the people write blog posts

Things I think about while screwing around in my iTunes:

Song I listen to when I'm about ready to plunge a pair of scissors into my jugular or someone else's (or otherwise need to chill out RIGHT THIS SECOND): Follow Through by Hotel Lights. That is like my Xanax. It COMPLETELY mellows me out. Runner up: Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups.

Favorite guilty pleasure song: Mmm Bop by Hanson. Mock if you must. But I dare you--TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU--to listen to it and not start laughing. Runner up: The Sign by Ace of Base. (Side note: I completely stopped being embarrassed about any of my guilty pleasure songs once we got on shared iTunes at work and I saw that someone had Rico Suave by Gerardo on his iTunes. Yeah. RICO SUAVE.)

Best song used in a movie: If You Leave in Pretty in Pink. Can I tell you, I STILL get goosebumps when Andie goes to the prom and that song comes on? Runner up: Tiny Dancer in Almost Famous. (Best background music: Only Living Boy in New York and Fair, both in Garden State.)

Best song to play over a trailer to trick me into seeing your shitty movie: Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel. I could go into my Vanilla Sky rant, but I'm sure you have better things to do with, oh, the next 16 years of your life, so we'll leave it there.

Favorite song to sing to in the car: Mr. Brightside by The Killers. Runner up: I Still Remember by Bloc Party (sung only with a very loud, very exaggerated British accent).

Best spin on a classic: In Your Eyes (live) by Jeffrey Gaines. The best part is when he's all, "I look to these times with you" (long beat) "to keeeeeeeep me awake and alive." Runner up: I Will Survive by Cake.

Favorite '80s song: Out of the Blue by Debbie Gibson. Runners up: Mad About You by Belinda Carlisle and Eternal Flame by The Bangles. There are far funnier, campier classics from that great decade of music, but based on the years of my life spent daydreaming about boys to these songs, they win.

Song I imagine playing over the opening credits of the movie of my life, when I'm running late to work, dropping my mascara wand on the bathroom floor, hopping on one foot to put my shoes on, and then running into Dreamy McDreamboat on the elevator with a velcro roller still in my hair: All I Really Want by Alanis Morissette. (My favorite line: "And what I wouldn't give to find a soulmate, someone else to catch this drift.")

Song I imagine playing in the background of the movie of my life as I prance around in front of the mirror in hot knee-high boots after bouncing back from heartbreak: One of These Days by Kraak and Smaak.

Song I imagine playing on the radio in the movie of my life when I have my great epiphany while driving around late at night: Chocolate by Snow Patrol.

Song I imagine playing in the background of the movie of my life when I have a chance encounter with the one who got away: The City by Joe Purdy.

Song I imagine playing over the closing credits of the movie of my life, when I drive off into the sunset with the hot yet sensitive, smart and funny man of my dreams: Take Me Away by Lifehouse.

Best sad breakup song: The Scientist by Coldplay. "Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry, you don't know how lovely you are ..." Awwww. Runners up: Cautioners by Jimmy Eat World and Try by Nelly Furtado.

Best angry breakup song: The Kill by 30 Seconds to Mars. Runners up: You Oughta Know by Alanis, Ex Factor by Lauryn Hill, Sick Cycle Carousel by Lifehouse, You Wanted More by Tonic ... should I keep going?

Best song about not-quite-unrequited-but-kinda love: 23 and Kill by Jimmy Eat World. Oh, my gosh, I love those songs times INFINITY. Runner up: Champagne High by Sister Hazel.

Songs I like almost purely because of the way one line is sung:
- "Hey ... my eyes are shooting sparks." (Une Annee Sans Lumiere, Arcade Fire)
- "It's almost everything I need." (Sullivan Street, Counting Crows)
- "You touch my lips and grab the back of my hand ..." (All I Need, Mat Kearney)
- "How long 'til my soul gets it right?" (Galileo, Indigo Girls)
- "Look me in the eye and tell me you don't find me attractive." (Where Does the Good Go, Tegan and Sara)
- "Are these times contagious? I've never been this bored before ... is this the prize I've waited for?" (Run, Collective Soul)

OK, your turn!

30 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

I love so many of those songs too. Jimmy Eat World and Collective Soul are two of my favorites. Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars is my please lay here with me and just talk song. Say Anything's Alive with the Glory of Love is my I will feel like this one day soon song. Too many others to list here, great idea for a post!

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Liz said...

I haven't actually heard of half these songs. I suck. But I agree about Vanilla Sky. I mean...WTF? Also, the Scientist is a song I listened to after a break-up and it just made me cry like a baby. Cry cry cry. Anyway.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Donna said...

These boots are made for walking didn't make your cut for bad breakup songs come on that's a classic although a bit cliche. Oh and my 80's dream song about the boys was always I think were along now by Girls Aloud.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Trish said...

"Angry Johnny" by Poe

Nasty lyrics sung with a sweet voice.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I really, really hate Jared Leto but I do love me some 30 Seconds to Mars!
And Snow Patrol "Chasing Cars"

and "Vanilla Sky" SUCKED!!!!!! WTH?! And I liked Tom Cruisazy then....

I still love old 80's stuff...and some 70's....wayyyyy before you were born!! :)

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Angela WD said...

As I read through your list I suddenly drew a blank on all songs altogether. Whaa? Songs? I don't remember any.

The song that always picks me up and makes my head start bopping is "A Little Respect" by Erasure. "Solsbury Hill" would be a great song for the opening credits of my life, which is a bonus because then you'd come and watch my movie, Swishy!

For the triumphal climax of my life movie, it would have to be "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen. Actually that's a great pump-me-up-song anytime.

The love scene? Definitely "Lovesong" by The Cure. And the ending credits? "Don't Change" by INXS.

As you can see I'm in an 80s timewarp this week. If I was in a bad mood, these songs would probably be totally different.

PS I totally agree about the Prom Scene in Pretty in Pink. Brilliant music choice! Don't you just get goosebumps when she looks up and sees Duckie?

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Patti said...

best screw you after the break up song: John Mayer "I'm Gonna Find Another You"

"When I was your lover

No one else would do

If I'm forced to find another, I hope she looks like you

Yeah and she's nicer too.."

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Ree said...

80s music rocks. ;-)

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Might I meekly suggest a Swishy CD giveaway? With the Songs of Swishy CD being the prize???? Or at least can you make one for your BBFF???

How do you come up with such GREAT POSTS?!?!?!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Johnny B said...

Song to be played at my 85th birthday: Bust a Move by Young MC.

Song to be played while I drive down some scenic coast in the sunset: Set a drift by PM Dawn

Song to be played on my first day of school :Second time around (Step by Step theme).

Song to be played if I ever get CRAZY fat and stuck in a waterslide tube: Candy Rain by Soul for Real.

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger Cecily R said...

Holy CRAP woman! I can't even pretend to come up with something that lives up to this...I bow to your music what ever it is and say ROCK ON!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger The Franchise said...

The acoustic version of "Take Me Away" is insane. Champagne High = amazing under the radar song. Funny quick story about that song, I had a fight with my future girlfriend right before Thanksgiving break and I put a lyric (Distance seems right at the time it was best) in my AOL profile(Classy I know) and she read it and IM'ed me and was like, "Is that about me?" We got together two weeks later...thank you Sister Hazel. We later broke up due to the band Hootie and The Blowfish...

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

I love music. I do think another Swishy contest is due. With the prize being a Swishy Life Movie Soundtrack.
Because really the movie is just a way to show you the songs, like Across the Universe, but a 100 times less cheezy.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

I totally have the acoustic version of Take Me Away, too! It was on Boston Public!

Hmmm ... it would be SO HARD to narrow them down to one CD, but maybe!!

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger LaskiGal said...

Awesome song choices! I can now walk with my head held up high as I listen to Hansen and Ace of Base--yeah for me!!!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Melek said...

holy cow. i knew like 2 of those songs. but it did inspire me to go repurchase Alanis Morissette (Jagged Little Pill). i lost the album when my computer died in '06 and i never rebought it. yahoo!

Best lyrics for a love song:
Paperweight by Joshua and Schuyler Fisk

Lovely song...cool voice & lyrics: Honey & The Moon by Joseph Arthur

GREAT songs played on KGSR radio:
Song for You by Alexi Murdoch
Be Here Now by Mason Jennings
Drunk on Love by Radney Foster
Flowered Dresses - Slaid Cleaves

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I love your music posts! They remind me of so many favorites I'd forgotten--Belinda from the Go-Go's! Hansen! Such great stuff (okay, I'll stop with the exclamation points now...)

Best all-purpose make you laugh song? Lorrie Morgan: "What Part of No Don't You Understand?" I once had to pull my car over to the side of the road, she made me laugh so hard. There's another great country song about how some guy can't believe his girlfriend left him, after he made her the queen of his double-wide trailer, with the polyester curtains and the redwood deck. Can't remember the name of that one, though.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Oh boy. I have SO many fav's, to soo many occasions, I'd have to think about it for a while, but I love your list!

But I would have to say that Cool Change, is by far, my all time fav song, EVER.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I hope you don't mind, but I"m going to "borrow" this and put it in my blog. It's a great "get to know you" type of deal! LOL

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Great song choices! The 80's are my particular favorites. In grade school I lip-synced to Out of the Blue for a talent show. Awe memories!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger kay said...

you rock! literally!

and i'm with manic! a swishy cd! i would love to have one of those! contest! contest! contest! contest!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Hi Swishy!

just dropped by to say next time Manic gets you to pick a number CONCENTRATE and PICK ME!!!

Have never heard of a lot of your songs - must be a cultural devide thing!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

Swishy! Awesome list! Love a lot of your choices. Solsbury Hill gets me every time too. And Chocolate for late night driving around epiphanies.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Bianca Reagan said...

MmmBop is a proud pleasure, not a guilty one.

 
At 8:32 PM, OpenID booklady said...

Cool idea for a blog post! It looks like we have tons of songs in common. Though now that you mention it, I actually like MMM Bop and don't have it on my iPod. Hmmm. And Garden State? Great music. But the movie I really loved for the music was Elizabethtown.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

This is such a GREAT post!!!! Swishy, you really are amazing. So many of the songs you came up with are wonderful, great memories for me. Some, I have never heard of, but I am going to check them out. Over all, you blew me away with your knowledge of so many songs and how creative and funny you are by putting them all together. If I tried to do this, my mind would go blank, quickly. Thank so much for such a fun post. I really loved this!
XOXOXO

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

oooh, you have (mostly) awesome taste in music! But I knew that already because I have an exclusive swishy's mix cd.

My 14 year old DD gave me props for one of the songs on my ipod that i got from that CD. She didn't think I was cool enough to know it. I get no credit!

My favorite new song (at least I think it's new... it's new to me anyway) is Almost Lover by A Fine Frenzy. God, how I love that song. I bought it on iTunes a week or so ago and have played it a gazillion times.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Thank you!!! You are all so nice! All right, we'll do a CD giveaway as soon as I figure out the details. I am a little anal about CD mixes :)

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Barrie said...

My ipod is obviously very underused. :)

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home