Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Eight is enough

OK, forever and a day ago, I got tagged by the lovely Angela to tell you eight things that you might not know about me. So here we go ...

* I'm a big believer. I would say that sums me up as well as anything. I believe in people, in their goodness, in their ability to make an impact. I believe in possibility. And I'm a HUGE believer in chasing dreams.

* I always loved to read, and the first books I really got into as a kid were Nancy Drew books. I used to pretend I was Nancy Drew and try to investigate "crimes." I distinctly remember being on a trip with my family and spending the entire time obsessively writing down the comings and goings of the people next to us (in addition to their license plate number and a description of their car) JUST IN CASE they committed a crime. The police would come to investigate, and I'd give them all my info, and they'd be profusely grateful, and ...

Yeah. I was a pretty imaginative kid. I also used to use flour and scotch tape to try to lift fingerprints off the coffee table, much to my parents' chagrin.

* I LOVE candles. I have them everywhere. From where I'm sitting, I can see ... let's see ... 11 candles. That sounds ridiculous, but it's all very tasteful, I promise! (Plus I can see into the kitchen, so that counts.)

* I taught myself how to knit using the Internet. I always have some little project going or some new thing I'm trying to learn. I'm sure the knitting thing happened because I read about Julia Roberts knitting in her trailer on a movie set or something and it sounded cute. Anyway, I went online and figured out how to do it, and then I made a scarf. I was so proud of this thing, you have no idea. I love this scarf.



I made probably a half-dozen scarves in all. I was all set to quit my job and start a super high-class Scarves to the Stars side business, but you know, when it comes down to it, you really can't put a price on this kind of hand-crafted greatness. Ha.

* I almost always stay and read the credits at the end of a movie.

* I love campfires. Fires in fireplaces, too. But I especially love being outside somewhere, and it's dark and you can feel the night air, and the fire's warm, and it makes a pretty glow everywhere ... yeah, I know that's random. I don't know why I thought of it, either, because I haven't done that in forever. But I do love them!

* My favorite flowers are lilies.

* I failed my first driving test. Have I told this story? I don't think so. It was SUCH a joke. So the guy gets in the car and I start going down the road. I'm totally keeping to the 10 mph speed limit--a feat in itself--and I pull up to the stop sign and make a right-hand turn. And the guy's like, "OK, go back to the beginning." And I'm like, uhhh ... OK. I actually thought maybe I was SO GOOD AT DRIVING that he was like, OK, she passed. I'm serious, I was that naive. Or arrogant, you pick. So I go back, and he rips a page off his notebook and is all, "You failed. Try again in 30 days."

OK. The entire test lasted LITERALLY no more than 60 seconds. Allegedly I ran the stop sign. ALLEGEDLY. I totally called the DMV and complained, oh, yes, I did. I still had to wait the 30 days, though.

So I go back and I get the mean lady. The mean lady was NOTORIOUS for failing people. She failed like everyone in my high school who ever got her. Here was the thing with the mean lady: You were supposed to tell the person to put their seatbelt on, but seatbelts in smaller cars didn't fit around this woman. And she didn't like to be reminded of it. So it was a crapshoot--either you ask her and risk pissing her off, or you don't ask her and risk failing because you didn't ask.

I didn't ask. And I stopped at the stop sign for like 10 minutes. And I passed! I was out of high school by then, though, can you believe that? That was the part I was most ticked about. You had to be 17 to get your license, and I didn't turn 17 until my senior year, so I was practically out of high school before I even got to go TAKE the test. The FIRST time.

You would think the whole sordid experience would have taught me to be extra-vigilant about never running on reds. Of course it didn't. Obviously. Hee.

25 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Beth said...

ok, I am TOTALLY freaking out here! where do I start?...

* I failed my driving test the first time...I ran a stop sign!!!

* I used baby powder and scotch tape to life fingerprints from our coffee table...I must have been around 11..12

* Nancy Drew!! The Hardy Boys! My best friend, Bina and I would pretend all the time!! sometimes we would scare ourselves! But there was always a mystery that we were solving..

ya...I'm freakin out here!!!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Beth said...

* I love candles too! I always have candles burning...and burning...and burning. I've gone to bed and left candles burning..OOPS!

* fires. love 'em! just not in my house..unless they're in a fireplace..which I don't have, but want.

* and we both love Jon&Kate +8!!!!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I can't knit tho

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger kay said...

i think that nancy drew really rubbed off on you. look at how well you snap photo's of unsuspecting subjects!

i loved those books too.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

OK, I am sitting here just laughing. Because you are just so freaking funny.

ANother one of your posts which makes me think, "Oh, I am so glad Swishy is my real, real, REAL life BBFF. How lucky can I be to have you as a real life friend. People of the internet, be jealous because I am her friend in real life, like I KNOW HER IN PERSON! She is this cool IN REAL FLESH AND BLOOD TOO! Love her!

So. I can see, if I stretch from where I sit... only 13 candles but I know there are a ton more on my dining room table...

CRACKED up at SCARVES TO THE STARS. THAT is just hilarious! Say that fast like six times. And why haven't you ever knitted ME a scarf!

I love your driving test story and the fat lady and the seat belt.

ALso, saw the IM you had with Mr. Manic. You were up ALL NIGHT!?!? I hope you did some serious writing!

Sidenote: Lost 1.2 pounds THIS week!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

I could sit here and list all the things we have in common, but everyone says that, so I won't.

I will say that I did the same thing on a vacation with my best friend and her family in the fourth grade. It was loads of fun but the police never had to be called and we did not end up as heroines with keys to the city. Sigh.

I was totally thinking the same thing as Kay...it was all preparing you to be in the CIA.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous www.ramble-on-rose.com said...

Love this post! I too loved Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys!! I used to steal all the books from my brother!! :)

I love fires as well but cleaning our fireplace is a pain in the arse!! We have a wood stove to heat the kitchen and that thing is a pain in the arse to start!!

Great Post !!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Beth! That is so crazy! Baby powder is so much smarter than flour ... and HA! I think you guys are onto something with the CIA thing.

Manic! You are the bestest of the best, so nice and sweet and of course the most wonderful BBFF in the world!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a candle fetish, I count 18 from where I'm sitting. Now here's the thing do you actually burn them? Me, not so much.

I also just barely passed my first driving test. Missed failing by two points. Doesn't that make you feel really safe?

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger XYZinn said...

I never knew you knit! You are so domestic! AND A SEWING MACHINE!!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Secretmom said...

okay, i failed me driving test TWICE when I turned 16--once written and didn't even make it to the driving part; then the second time I failed the driving part. It was so sad, becase each times my friends would decorate my locker with signs saying "Congratulations!" and alas, I would have to tell them I failed. it was traumatic to say the least.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

This was a really fun list! I love these lists because you learn so many fun things. I too, was a huge Nancy Drew lover. Read them like crazy and saw mysteries every where!
We have camp fire here almost every night, we love to sit by the lake (in the summer) and sit by the fire. It is the best!!

Have a great weekend!

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Oh, that reminds me! When I moved to where I live now, I had to take the written test again for my new license and I completely failed. I went out to the lobby, skimmed the manual for five minutes, and then went back in and passed. Ha.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Angela WD said...

Swishy, that driver's test sounded frightening. Glad you got a second chance!

I was totally into Nancy Drew also. And Harriet the Spy. I went around spying until I completely annoyed my family and neighbors.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Moanna said...

You're in the CIA and you knit??? I'm totally impressed at your learning that over the internet.

Seriously, before Christmas I decided I was going to teach myself to knit so I went into Michael's, got a knitting pattern for a scarf, and tried to figure out how many skeins of yarn I needed. That stressed me out so much I left the store without buying anything. But you've inspired me so I'll have to try again. Maybe I'll ask for help next time.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Jenster said...

* I believe you're a believer! lol

* You were an imaginative kid? Now there's a surprise.

* Candles are niiiiiice!

* I wish I could knit.

* Me too!! Except that whoever I'm with gripes about it and makes it not so much fun. But I usually stay anyway, just to be aggrevating.

* I like campfires as long as the smoke isn't blowing in my face. Which is like all the time because they say smoke follows beauty. BAHAHA!

* Pretty flowers.

* I never run on reds. Now yellows are a different story...

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Barrie said...

A few we had in common: I loved Nancy Drew. I failed my first driving test. For speeding. I always, always (not matter how much diet coke I've had to drink!) stay until the very last line of the credits. Fun post!!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I'm a total candle junkie too. I buy them in bulk at Ikea- added bonus they don't add in a smell. Sometimes too many smelly candles is, well, too smelly.

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous kristabella said...

I've been thinking about taking a knitting class. I didn't think about learning on the internet. That would probably be cheaper.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Melek said...

i can see 20 candles from where i sit. my fireplace holds 6 of em, which i love.

nancy drew was my FAV!! very fav was 'secret of the old clock'

i was sooo thankful they didnt make me parallel park on my driving test. i would NEVER has passed. i still can't parallel park.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

I failed mine twice. Plus, I don't remember for sure, but I think I was out of highschool by the time I got my license. (but i do have to add, I graduated a month after I turned 17).

No smelly candles for me. I guess that makes me weird. If anyone ever gives me a candle is usually regifted. They're pretty, but my sisters have always been allergic to the artificial fragrances.

I only read a few Nancy Drew books. Just when I started to get into them, I went to visit my grandpa to get my mom's old ND books. (She had a stack of them that was waist high.) but my grandpa had just cleaned his basement and threw them away. I'm not totally sure I have forgiven him for that yet. j/k

Knitting was never my thing. I'm a crocheting type of girl. I do like scarves though.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Patti said...

brrrr...my neck is soooo cold......

 
At 7:03 PM, OpenID booklady said...

I failed my driving test the first time, too! I had to borrow my a different car than what I had learned on. It was stick shift, and I stalled and ran over a car. I was heartbroken and SO embarrassed. I thought I'd never live it down. Turns out lots of people failed the first time. Then when I finally got my license I had to stand in line at the DMV for AGES. And the lady behind the counter spelled my last name wrong! When I told her about it, she told me to get in line again. I was sixteen and so excited to have my license, and then it didn't even have the correct spelling of my name on it.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Sherry said...

These are great "things" to know...Nancy Drew was just so cool...every girl's dream detective!! This "detecting" gene you have goes a long way back!!!

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

Wanna know a secret? I didn't do so well on my first time out at the DMV, either. But now I've got a blog topic. Thanks!

I was a Hardy Boys / Nancy Drew freak, too. I still love all those detective shows on tv, but haven't read a ND or HB book in ages.

Candles? Don't let anyone tell you that's uncool. Candles are always going in my home...and always will.

Great post, Swishy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home