Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Do not shop at New York & Company!

I hate that store right now with the passion of a million crazed Hannah Montana fans. They were very, VERY snotty to your friend Swishy and now I think they're going to come to my house and throw eggs at my windows and cut the brake lines in my car.

So. They have this newish return thing where your receipt expires after 60 days and then allegedly you can't get your money back anymore. UNLESS you say you don't have a receipt. Then they'll give you money. The whole thing is completely backward and stupid.

Well, I had a receipt that "expired" in October. BUT ... I had been told that I could take back the clothes with the expired receipt and, while I wouldn't get actual money back, I could get store credit instead. Fine with me. So that's what I try to do. The girl starts doing it, and then is like, "Um, it calculated the sales tax wrong on your receipt. So I can't do it anymore."

I don't really get how their machine calculating my sales tax wrong is my problem, but I'm like, fine, give me your customer service number and I will call them and find out what to do. So she does and I do. I explain to the customer service rep what the deal is, and she's like, just return the item without your receipt and you'll get your money back. OK. I really want to go home, but I'm like, I'm already here, the bag's been sitting in my car for three weeks, just go back and do it.

So I do.

Me: Hey, I'm back. She told me to just return it without the receipt.
Girl at store: But you HAVE a receipt.
Me (flashing big smile): Not anymore!
Girl: But I KNOW you do.
Me: Look. Give me a lighter, and I'll burn the receipt right in front of you. Will that help?
Girl: But ... but ... you HAVE a receipt!
Me (still smiling): Not anymore, I don't.
Girl: I need to call customer service.

So she calls customer service and whispers into the phone. Then she asks me my name, which I REALLY don't think is pertinent here, but I tell her anyway, because I am trying to be pleasant and agreeable. And then she whispers some more and the whole time I am thinking, this is SO NOT WORTH THE TWENTY BUCKS. But there is a principle at work here, and I am a woman of principles, so when she hands the phone to me I take it and begin speaking to the person who shall be known henceforth as the Bitch on the Phone (BOP).

BOP: We don't do returns.
Me: You don't do returns at ALL? Really?
BOP: No.
Me: At ALL.
BOP: Well, not if you have a receipt.
Me: I don't have a receipt.
BOP: We still can't do it.
Me: Why not?
BOP: Because you have a receipt.
Me: OK. Let's say, for the sake of argument, I DON'T have a receipt. Can you do the return?
BOP: No.
Me: That's not what they just told me on the phone.
BOP: Well, you called the wrong number.
Me: No, I didn't.
BOP: Yes, you did.
(I read the number to her and we confirm that, yes, in fact, I called the right number.)
BOP: Well, we still can't do the return if the item doesn't have tags.
Me: It DOES have tags.
BOP: Are they attached?
Me: No, but they're in the bag.
BOP: Then we can't do the return.
Me: OK, can you read me the part of your return policy where it talks about tags?
BOP: No.
Me: No, you can't, or no, there's not a part that talks about tags? Because I just read your policy, and I didn't see anything about that.
BOP: This conversation is over.
Me: I'm sorry?
BOP: I'm done talking to you.
Me: Are you serious?
BOP: I have nothing left to say to you.
Me: Well ... what should I do?
BOP: THIS CONVERSATION IS OVER.
Me: OK, I really don't appreciate the attitude you're getting with me right now.
BOP: What's your name?
Me: I'm sorry, how is that relevant?
BOP: I need to know who I'm talking to.
Me: What's YOUR name?
BOP: I don't have to give that information out. (Pauses.) Swishy Swisherstein? Is that right?
Me: That's none of your business.
BOP: I am done talking to you.
Me: You know, for someone who supposedly works in customer service, you have a lot to learn about customer service. This is absolutely ridiculous.

And that's when she hangs up on me. And now, because I am completely paranoid, I am convinced she got my name to a) access my credit card info, which she will now use to buy rainbow-colored vibrators and boxes of Chippendale calendars for all her friends or b) find out where I live and hire a scary man in a Scream mask to hide in my closet and slash my pretty little neck when I get home.

Either way, it's not good.

37 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Blogger kay said...

oh my gosh! i can't believe that someone would be that rude to you in a retail store!! my head would have exploded all over the place.

so are you going to send someone else in with your stuff and try to get them to return it? i'll do it!!

swishy i love waking up and reading your posts. you make my day get off to a great start!!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Sherry said...

Retail ain't what it used to be. It's a mess. So many stores change policy, there is no "warning" and the customer is left "holding the bag" as it were.

Rude doesn't even come close to describing this one. She wants your name so when you call and complain she's ahead of the game. Or if you go to another store they'll know you've been in before. I like Kay's idea...have someone else do the return or have someone else write a letter to New York and Company head office. More than one way to play this game. Go get 'em tiger..$20 is $20 and the principle is always the thing!!

Love your posts..you write just like I imagine you speak!!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

They forget about the power of the blog, apparently...don't mess with Swishy, or none of her fans will come anywhere near your store ever again.

At times like that, don't you wish they had one of those "this call may be monitored..." recordings?

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger cubmommy said...

I agree with Trish about the power of the blog. Everybody should write something about the company. I don't like that store anyway. They act like they are some freakin boutique. Hello you are in a mall (at least here) next to Spencers gifts.

OK I am done.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Ok, Swishy, you are too nice and logical. You needed the manager, and then you needed to get very loud so that other customers could hear how you were getting screwed over. That will usually get you satisfaction just to shut you up. Hush money as it were.

Then if that does not work and the manager is a man you can break out the tactical nukes! Cry! Cry loudly. Oh man, I realize I am encouraging you to fight dirty but what the hell. When a pretty woman starts crying the normal male would have pulled a 20 out of his own pocket if needed to make you stop!

Then as soon as you got the 20 you could have stopped crying instantly and gave the lady behind the desk that "See? FU bitch!" look you gals are so good at!

I swear my skills are totally wasted having this penis.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger kim said...

I think you might be able to get some free stuff. I would call customer service back and explain that one person was great, while the other was horrible and what are they going to do to make it right?
Tell them you would be happy with your exchange and a coupon for % off of next purchase or something good.

Let them know BOP refused to give her name -- she knew she was out of line.

I freaking hate when somebody can't think for themselves and they think they got you on one of their stupid corporate rules. Oh, you win -- freaking idiots with that crappy "customer service".

They should call it, "Lose a customer for life" call 1-800-wegot your20buckssucka.

Winners! good for them.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

I agree that Retail is going downhill...

That's too bad. I love NY&Co clothes... :(

Did you try to talk to her manager and explain that you buy things there a lot and that you have tons of friends and this would not be a good thing for them if they continued to be horribly rude to you?!

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so crazy! I feel for you.
I would suggest going to their website and submitting an email to their customer service department. Tell them what poor service you received.
I had a really bad experience trying to return something to Target that I had bought on-line. The associate didn't know how to do the return and basically told me she couldn't help me because she didn't know what to do since I didn't have an in-store receipt. I had the receipt printed from the website that they tell you print in order to return something to a store. And she didn't call her manager for help. Didn't call the customer service 1-800#. Just told me I as out of luck and sent me on my way. But when I submitted an email to every Target email address I could find telling them about my experiene, they made good on it. I even had someone from the CEO's office call and make sure I was happy and tell me about the extra training the store where I had the problem would recieve.
Good luck!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Melek said...

what a horrible experience. i dont shop there anyway, but i could picket if you wanted me too. i could hold a sign and chant "Swishy Got Screwed!" and anyone who tried to go in the store anyway would get a swift kick in the shins...

definitely call CS again and explain (nicely) what happened and see if they can do anything. maybe you just got a cranky CSB (that's customer service bitch) after a long day....either way, it's inexcusable and they should do something to make it right.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

WTF? That is absolutely insane!

I'm bummed because I like that store, but seriously?

What I hate about it is that if I were to be even remotely that bitchy at my job, I'd be fired. What is this world coming to?

I had the same experience with Washington Mutual. And then I saw signs all over the damn city that they were voted "best customer service for banks in Chicago!" And then I burned that billboard down.

Liars.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

I am not against a good picket either. I think it could be fun. I am totally refusing to shop there. Mostly because I have never been in anyways, but I'm not going to start. They just lost a potential customer.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Colorado Writer said...

Jeez Louise. Get someone else to do it for you. Then call the lady back and say NA NA NA NA NA!!!!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

Okay Swish- this just made me mad. I think you should start a petition of women who will refuse to shop in their store based on your experience of customer service. I'm in.

what a cow

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I got your back, girl!!! They better NOT mess with MY Swishy!!!!

That was just so childish and not professional....and I used to work there and I loved it. Except you HAVE to wear their clothes so I really didn't make much money.

Retail sucks,...ya, have someone else do the return at a different Nre York store...and get your money back!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger The Hotfessional said...

It's not good but you need to go higher up the food chain. Higher and higher and higher.

Oh and we'll take up the cause if you'd like.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

All you have to do is remember three little words that usually work magic, especially in chain retail stores...

Repeat after me:

Better Business Bureau

I can't believe she was so rude to you! It irks me to no end when a CUSTOMER SERVICE person is rude!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

I agree go higher and call and fax the headquarters and tell them how you were treated.

I think these are the numbers:
Phone Number: 212-884-2000
Fax Number: 212-884-2396

Customer Service people should always be polite and have a fricken smile on their faces no matter what is going in their life!

I have never found anything in that store to buy, but now I won't even go in to look.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I'd definitely go higher on the food chain. that's not acceptable.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrea is right: Better Business Bureau.

Call corporate and tell them how you were treated. And say that if the situation isn't rectified, you will call the Better Business Bureau.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Patti said...

sooo you're swishy swisherstein! there's a blog all about you and your "no reciept" story on the internets....

by the way it also sez you love them vibrators. i'm just saying...

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

OK! I HATE THAT BITCH TOO!!!

WTF!! Did you not get her name? When you come here next week, we are so going to every GD NY&CO in the area and will not stop until some bitch who works for minimum wage gives you your money back!!

Or, then we will make signs and stand in front of the store chanting mean things. I'll think of some poetic slam for them beeyotches!!!

Call Corporate headquarters right this minute and tell 'em Manic's on their case!
xo

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

OH! And tell them you run a highly successful woman's blog and everyone from here to cyberland will know not to shop at their sucky store (although I USED to like it!)

OH! And we'll youtube video our attack on NY&CO!!!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Drewpy Drew said...

When you call them, give them your blog addy. Tell them to look at the 22 (as of now) people who will never shop at their store because of what they did to our dear friend Swishy.

Never give up, never surrender!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

oh hell to the no! she di'nt just tell you that she was "done talking to you". where the F is customer service these days and what happened to the customer is right? I'd go to another location and get your money back - without the receipt. That is the dumbest of all dumb return policies. EVER!

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Melisa said...

What the hell? And it's not even the holiday season yet!

As my sister would say, "Good Day, Sir!" Check out her post about it from a couple of months ago, Swishy. It might make you laugh...

http://bigpikchur.blogspot.com/2007/08/still-best-way-to-tell-someone-off.html

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

THANK YOU, everyone! OK. I feel newly empowered--I'm gonna get satisfaction if it KILLS me! (Or if I have to kill someone else :) )

OK, and can I just say, I called Entertainment Weekly today about my renewal, because I wanted to keep it at the price I was paying instead of having it jacked up, and they were SO NICE. It was literally a 30-second conversation and then done. See! Being nice and customer service-y isn't that hard!

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger The Franchise said...

Your life makes me smile. Not the fact that you had to deal with a jerk, that doesn't make me smile at all...well a tiny tiny smile that I try to hold back. Where is your reality show? I'd watch.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Angela WD said...

I'm just flabbergasted. I would totally take that up the chain of command, just on principle. Way to go on sticking to your guns, anyway. Some of those store policies are absolutely ridiculous.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

I have a plan.

Did you happen to pay with your credit card? You know you can dispute a charge on your card for all types of things including, "merchandise not as described". They then have to prove why it is a valid charge.

:D

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Oh, and this a.m. i go to my email and there's an email from NY&C offering some sort of discount.

DELETE.

You are dead to me ny&c.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Jenster said...

I'm angry and laughing all at the same time. I'm laughing because you're such a great writer! And I'm angry at that horrible, horrible woman! She needs to be fired!!!

Hey! My word verification is "sfgyay" which is almost like "sfgay" which would stand for San Francisco Gay which makes a lot of sense to me.

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Bianca Reagan said...

Rainbow colored? Fun!

Oh, and, yeah, that sounds sucky. :( I like NY & Co in theory, because their clothes look nice from the store window. But they actually aren't made as well as I like. So I've moved on to Ann Taylor Loft.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

See reading your blog just saved me a trip. I was going to buy a pair of jeans there today, I think I'll save myself the time, effort and money.

Here's hoping you get some satisfaction. If not, I hear that a baseball bat works wonders ;)

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger JODI said...

If by chance the BOP shows up...give her a bag of potato chips and set her by the window where pot smoking neighbor's fumes collect...bet that will change the BOP's sttitude ;-)

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger April said...

you were way too nice!! I cannot believe that someone would be that rude; wait, yes I can - that seems to be the norm now! So sorry, I agree withKay - send someone else in to do your bidding!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

BOP....that is so funny. So sorry about your run in at NY & Co. but you had me laughing. Great way to start my day.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Holy Cow! I agree with Kay ... they'd still be cleaning up bits of my head.

I have to say -- you'll get your way. Go to another NYC store and do the return anyway. Bastards! I'm very much a principle kind of girl too, and yeah -- I'd be finding a way around that crap.

I'm a new reader, but I may just add you to my daily reads list!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home