Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, October 19, 2007

(Insert your city here) Vice

First, and most important ... ahhhhhhhhhhh.



I am finally, finally done with my work project, and my poor sore Pisces feet got a much-needed soak tonight. Yayyy!

So I read a column yesterday in USA Today about vices, and I thought, hmm, what's my biggest vice? I don't smoke, I don't drink buckets of coffee, I don't go crazy shopping for shoes ... I have a little bit of a potty mouth sometimes, so swearing is probably mine. I like to say ass a lot and I've been known to give other drivers special names when they cut me off or refuse to let me in or honk at me when I'm looking at my hair in the rear view mirror at a red light.

But then I started to think, OK, I am a complete glutton for french fries, so is that a vice? I like TV ... is that a vice? Magazines? Chocolate-covered Oreos? Or are they simply guilty pleasures? And then I decided that most vices are pretty much in the eye of the beholder. Someone might consider my McDonald's french fries to be on par with a bag of crack; someone else might think of them the way they regard having a glass of wine or a scoop of ice cream at night--something a little indulgent, maybe, but no big deal. I've heard people talk about TV like it is Satan's little sandbox; I happen to think it's wonderful and I would just die without it. And so on.

I think everyone has vices, and that everyone SHOULD have a vice or two as long as, you know, it's not self-destructive or whatever. So my question is ... what's your biggest vice?

(P.S. Duh. Clearly, as my last post indicates, shopping for beauty products is one of my vices. Or guilty pleasures. Or however you want to define it. I have no doubt I'm about to think of a million more.)

25 Comments:

At 3:14 AM, Blogger kim said...

I am a 12 year old boy when it comes "dirty" words.

And by dirty words, I mean anything that wouldn't get by Beavis or Butthead, certainly won't get by me.

word veri: aloohu -- is your blog spelling drunken Hawaiian at me?

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger simonsays said...

Your pedicure is awesome!

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger kay said...

blogs

i check them all about 15 times a day (seriously!), i have to comment on everything and i'm constantly looking for new ones to add to my growing list.

i would get so much more done if i stopped reading blogs

sad.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Sherry said...

Shoes...
And wine...
And plenty of things I don't really NEED...but covet!!! :)
Loved reading this...you have a fabulous way with words!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Melek said...

diet coke.

using the phrase "ass hat"

honking at other drivers (especially ones who are checking out their hair in the rear view ;))

checking blogs over and over again all day long.

oh, and Target. Target is definitely a vice. i try to avoid that place at all costs.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger The Hotfessional said...

Yes, shopping. Yes, blogging (but a good one, right?) And, definitely, definitely swearing. what the fuck? are we twins?

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

Kay, me too. Want to start a Blog Addicts Anonymous? Except I don't really want to give it up. I enjoy reading about other people's lives.

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

Too many to count. But I wouldn't think they are vices in the bad sense. Like a meth addict.

In no particular order - TV, wine, swearing, blogs. I just spend too much time on the computer, I think.

But that's the way I like it!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Swearing is a little too much fun most of the time (although oddly enough I'm enjoying it more now that I'm saving it for when it really matters...stubbed toes are worth it, but if I swore at every crazy driver in Boston, I'd lose track of the rest of my vocabulary)

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Patti said...

umbrelly drinks and cussin'...

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

Vice-Using the word bitchin in my head when my kids are breathlessly telling me about something that happened to them.

And TV and blogging. Oh, and icecream and Diet Pepsi, and, and, and...uggghhh. I need a vice intervention.

I'm with simonsays. Your toes are stunning!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Andie said...

shopping in general
fun size chocolate bars
raspberry white chocolate scones for breakfast
watching online episodes of my favorite shows when I should be doing other things.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I'm gonna have to admit I still smoke. Not a lot and only at home. I can be away on vacation and take literally three smoke breaks, if I can find a place without people to see me. Oh and I don't inhale.

After smoking comes gummi bears. Do not leave them unattended near me.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Angela WD said...

Blogs are becoming a vice. And I love wine. Anything else?

I resolved to stop saying "awesome" and "cool", but some habits are just too hard to break. I know, I'm bad.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Just A Girl In GA said...

Ikea is my vice, I go once a week - it's my idea of DisneyWorld for Adults. TV would be my vice also

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Moanna said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Moanna said...

Giggling at your rubber ducky. And your toes are awesome.

Vice: Watching the Sopranoes because I started using their language. At work, even. And it's a religious organization! What the fuck?

I'm glad you finished your project. You can post more now!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Lots of the same as yours, TV, French Fries, OREOS! And blogging is becoming a big one!
I want a bubble bath! Oh how nice...
~Steph

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I have so many vices....gossip mags, shopping, lip gloss(I have millions) Diet coke w/ lime, log hot baths....nights in the hot tub wi/ a cosmo!!!

and blogs!!!

miss you Swish!!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Gambling. Without a wife and family to care for I could easily wind up living in a van down by the river.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger icanseeclearlynow said...

blogs, vodka, curse words, and smiling.

:)

maria

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Bianca Reagan said...

My vices are potato chips, good french fries, and yummy nut-free chocolate chip cookies. And buttered popcorn, once I can eat it again.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Sara Hantz said...

Definitely swearing, french fries, wedges and marshmallows!!!

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Ohhh, you guys! My toes thank you!

And after reading your vices, I think I just might have to pick up a few new ones of my own :)

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Steph said...

I was just re-reading the title, and realized my city would rhyme!
Price Vice! Ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home