Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I'm such a product whore

(I've also been a terrible blogger lately, but my big work project gets done this week--halle-freaking-lujah--so I will be much better in that department in a few days. Yay!)

OK, so anyway. I am the kind of girl who will sit and debate the merits of a $30 shower curtain for days, but six things of $5 lip gloss? Sold! I don't think I am THAT girlie, or THAT high-maintenance, but I am SUCH a sucker for girlie things sometimes. A few of my recent purchases:



We'll start from the left.

-L'Oreal mineral powder foundation. Have you seen that infomercial with Leeza Gibbons and Alyssa Milano and that girl Yoanna from America's Next Top Model? Well, I saw it one Saturday afternoon while I was avoiding cleaning my bathroom and I was riveted. RIVETED, I tell you. It's this magic powder that makes your skin look flawless. It even made this one girl's red birthmark disappear. Yes, you heard me right. Powder! Made it disappear! Think of what it could do to an occasional pimple! I was half-tempted to dial that 800 number, oh yes, I was, but then I made myself turn off the TV and clean the toilet instead. I did not exercise such restraint, however, when I saw this VERY similar-looking powder on the shelf at Target for half the price. I've used it once. I can't tell if it looked different or not.

-A new nail file. Because it was only 99 cents! And it smells like oranges! Well, not really, but it's supposed to. (And yes, that is plastic on the end, and no, I can't get it off.)

-Lip gloss from Bath and Body Works. I got that today. Because I was reading In Style, the one with Katherine Heigl on the cover, and she was raving about this lip gloss she got from Bath and Body Works. And you know how I love Katherine Heigl, and you know, she's blonde, I'm blonde ... OK, that's basically it. Ha. But I was like, MAYBE if it works for her, just MAYBE it will work for me. Because I have a HORRIBLE time finding lipsticks and glosses that I like. (The only one I really like got discontinued, so I had to special order it and once I use the extra one I have in my closet, I am completely screwed.) So I stopped there on the way home, but I couldn't remember the exact name of it. I was like, berry ... berry ... oh! Frozen blackberry! That must be it! So I bought it, went home, opened up In Style and saw that ... it's actually Black Cherry Soda. For the record, I never even wear berry-colored stuff, because I feel like you need to have brown eyes to wear berry and my eyes are green. So not only did I buy something PURELY because some celebrity said she liked it, I didn't even get the right THING.

-Vanilla Bean Noel lotion from Bath and Body Works. Because you can never have enough vanilla lotion. Also, it was free, because I had a coupon. Also, it is a different kind of vanilla that smells so yummy I want to eat my left arm right now.

-Goody clips and hair elastics. I pretty much only use the clips to hold my hair back when I'm getting ready. But did you know those are specially made for blonde hair? So naturally, I HAD to get them to replace the plain old boring black ones! And the elastics? Do you SEE the cute little designs?

-OK, the last one? That represents one of my old phases, my Bumble & Bumble phase. INSIDE the bottle is my new phase: ocean water. I spray a little bit in my hair before I blow dry it sometimes to give it some extra texture. Yes, that's right: I consider the OCEAN to be a beauty product. And no, I am not ashamed. Not even a little bit.

30 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger michelle said...

i, too, am a product whore ... i bought the physician's formula version of the mineral veil, and it's actually not bad. i am also on the search for the perfect lip gloss (aren't we all?) ... for now i am sticking with clear, because all the other ones i have are icky ... although i do like rimmel's "snog" lip gloss ... but i am out, so i may need to head to walmart after work today.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Beth said...

girl you are speakin my language!!! I love Instyle but hate it too...I always have to go out and buy whatever product I read about in there! Lucky magazine too...I have a little piece of paper, I take notes, and then go shopping! That might explain my DRAWER full of makeup that I NEVER wear!

The Mineral powder? LOVE IT!!! I will never wear liquid foundation again..."foundation" is such an "old" word, isn't it?

I am a lip gloss whore.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

Those goody clips, I am picky about them and I have a million. One is in my hair as I type this.

I have been thinking about this Ocean water for my hair. I have heard good things about it.
I need it.
I am a product whore too.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

I must try the ocean in my hair. Since I live so far from the ocean.

And I love those elastics. Mine are just plain brown. But yours? So cute!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Melek said...

saw a news story last night that something like 60% of lipsticks contain LEAD!!! lead people! i couldn't believe it. thank goodness i dont wear it bc it looks awful on me. i only use gloss. which if you want a really good one, get the Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip Soother. it has SPF in it and everything and it tastes yummy.

my friends and i are true product whores. so much so that every couple of months we get together with all our products that we used once and hated, or got tired of, or didnt like the color, and we swap em. we call those our "potion parties". we've started integrating clothes we dont wear anymore and books we've read. it's a great time. you should try it. it's recycling girl style :)

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Trish said...

I have a drawer full of those hair grabber things. I can't live without 'em.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I LOVE Vanilla Noel! It's like I smothered a sugar cookie on me. It's great! I might love it a little too much, sometimes I try and smell it through my jeans which probably looks really strange.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Secretmom said...

Is the ocean water the same as the B&B surf spray? Mine is in a black bottle, but maybe they got new packaging as I haven't bought it new in awhile. I need to know if there's something I missing, because I'm the prodcut whore from product whoresville!

Speaking of, if you want THE most amazing volumizing shampoo, you have to check out KMS addvolume shampoo in green bottle and the gel conditioner. I've never found antyhing that makes my hair so much thicker--and I used to say that about B&B volumizing spray.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Monnik said...

ha! I buy this kind of stuff too. except for the vanilla scented stuff. that makes my stomach churn, not sure why.

I love vanilla in baked goods, milkshakes, ice cream, and diet coke, but not in a candle or lotion. Not sure why.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Sherry said...

Swishy, sometimes you've just got to give in to the inner whore...really, especially when it comes to products, magazines, celebs..we wanna have what they got...I am guilty of this pleasure myself. I salute you with the purchases you have made (even the wrong colour on the gloss..if I don't write it down I think I've remembered it correctly..and of course, I never do!!).

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

I am not a very good gloss girl. I have a bad tendency to leave it in pockets and let it go through the washing machine.

Ocean in your hair? My hair hates water. Ocean? Really?

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Jenster said...

I have the mineral/powder stuff - The Loreal version and the infomercial stuff, too. Don't ask.

I also have a ton of hair clips, but very little hair at the moment. lol Someday...

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Drewpy Drew said...

I look at all that stuff and one thing comes to mind. How many of those things say that they will make you look "natural"?

Wouldn't you look more natural if you didn't use any thing?

God never made an ugly person. It bothers me when people cover up what is really beautiful about themselves.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I make myself walk around the store with whatever impulse buy I'm about to purchase. If after 10 minutes I haven't talked myself out of it, it gets to come home with me.

Of course, occasionally I clean out my cabinet and toss everything that I haven't used in 6 months (except seasonal things).

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Angela WD said...

I would totally pick beauty products over a shower curtain any day. And I also have a whole drawer full of stuff that looked like a good idea at the time but didn't work for me. Even my teen girls don't want those.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

Don't we all have a little girlie-girl inside? You're not alone. And the vanilla lotion? SOLD!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Potion party! I love that! I had a party once where everyone brought old clothes, but I think a potion party would have worked better.

And I am loving, loving, LOVING the product suggestions! (Oh, and SM, I think the surf spray is basically the same as ocean water. And Drew ... I love that sentiment. I do.)

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I too am a product whore. Oh the shame.

That vanilla lotion sounds sooo good. Did you know that apparently that is the smell that drives men mad with lust?

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Moanna said...

You may hate me for this, but have you checked out this site where consumers rate various cosmetics: http://makeupalley.com/product/

You have to register but that's free and then you can search on "most popular" or "best value" whatever and read the comments.

You might qualify to be on the board!

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Cecily R said...

The last time I gave into my inner whore and bought new make up it ended up nearly causing me to get into an accident after I cut onions and it dripped in my eyes. I think I'm better off wearing my five year old sweats and using vicks for lip gloss. :)

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger KATE said...

Swishy, You're Hilarious!! Like you & most the comments I've seen. I'm also a "product whore" I guess we're doing our part to keep these companies in business! Good job, you've done your civic duty!!

I love Bath & Body Works, BTW. One of my favorite stores & I can look in that store forever! I drive my husband CRAZY!!

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger simonsays said...

You make me laugh, you remind me of my daughter, and that's a good thing, she REALLY makes me laugh...most of the time anyway...have a good week!

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger kay said...

i saw those hair clips at walmart yesterday and was drawn to them. i had to read all the info and fondle them. very strange. i mean they are just hair clips!!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Okay, product whore....my favorite day for random drug store girlie products is the day after Thanksgiving. Granted---people line up at the stores for $99 big screen TVs....but me---I hit the CVS & Walgreens for deep deep discounts, like mascaras---buy one, get two free. Random things like that.

....I still have an Almay compressed powder that I got (almost a year ago now...) that I've never opened yet.

Oh yes, it's a fabulous day to stock up & try inexpensive little girlie things...

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

They do black Friday for makeup?

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Patti said...

i think you have figured out one of God's little "where's waldo?" puzzles he put in plain sight.

ocean water.

surely, i mean swishy, he meant it as a hair product. why else does it make us look so ding dang sexy?!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Maybe I should start selling ocean water to your readers. I can make up a cute little label and ship it right out. Gives me a reason to walk on the beach more often. If you need sand for an exfoliator give me a shout out. It's not the same as sitting in the surf rubbing handfuls of sand over your legs and feet but It's close.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I was with you up until the ocean water (and I think you can totally wear berry colored lip stuff)...I don't doubt the potential beauty properties of the ocean water, but I'm curious where you got it? Is there ocean I don't know about in your neck of the woods? Is my grasp on geography really that bad???

I'm going out ASAP to get that lotion that made you want to eat your arm. That shouldn't be a compelling sales pitch, but somehow it is...

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

yah for product whores!! I am the worst when it comes to just buying one thing at Target - it turns into this whole makeover of the beauty products trip where I buy everything that promises to improve skin, shine hair or moisterize like never before ;)

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Stella said...

I LOVE using ocean water! I used to buy this stuff for 11 bucks and it like 3oz of what essentially amount to ocean water. I started using real water and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

Also, I found in the dollar section of my Target all sorts of body lotions and scrubs that smell like fall...pumpkin spice, apple, vanilla...DELICIOUS when you put them all together...it's like you're a big pie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home