Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Gone baby gone

So I saw Gone Baby Gone this weekend. I liked it, although I am going to tell you right now that it's not for everyone. It's on the grittier side, a bit like The Departed. It's based on a book by Dennis Lehane (who wrote Mystic River) and Ben Affleck--yes, BEN AFFLECK--co-wrote the screenplay and directed it.

Anyway, this movie made me think several things:

* I cannot believe that five years ago, Ben Affleck was on a yacht, pulling on J.Lo's bikini bottom (not to mention starring with her in GIGLI), and now he has made his directorial debut with a movie that most likely will get at least an Oscar nomination or two. I leaned over to my friend as the movie was starting and said, "I really, really, really hope this is good enough to get nominated for an Oscar, because if Ben Affleck can go from Jenny from the Block back to the Academy Awards, there is hope for us all." And now, I am proud to say ... there is hope for us all. Seriously! Nobody would have guessed five years ago that Ben Affleck would be directing one of the better movies of this year, so yay for him. The movie is not perfect--it gets little off track about 2/3 of the way through--but it is quite good and I bet Ben gets nominated for the writing award, if not the directing award.

* Which leads me to ... I always sort of assumed that Matt Damon was the brains behind Good Will Hunting. (Matt and Ben won an Oscar when they were, like, 25 for writing the screenplay.) I mean, Matt DID go to Harvard. And Ben ... I mean, he starred in Gigli! I'm sorry for not thinking he was the brightest bulb in the box! Now I have to reevaluate all of my judgments and assumptions. Maybe I've been wrong about everything. Like, for example, maybe Britney Spears knows exactly what she is doing and is totally playing all of us. And Paris Hilton is a genius. And Heidi Klum looks bad without makeup. Or ... not.

* He thanks Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz in the credits. Which I thought was kind of funny.

* Where has Casey Affleck been all my life? Because hot damn, he is sizzling in this movie, and I swear he was never, EVER that hot before. There's this one scene ... I won't ruin it, just in case, but suffice it to say there is one scene where he is so hot I almost somersaulted down the stairs of the theater and started making out with the movie screen.

* Now, finally something about the actual movie. I've read several stories where they've said it's about, essentially, "Good people who do bad things for the right reasons." It brings up a lot of interesting questions about life. The right thing is not always the best thing, so ... which do you do? The right thing? Or the best thing? And are you wrong if you choose one over the other? I know, it sounds confusing. But so is life sometimes, and it does a very good job of portraying that. I keep thinking about it, and I STILL don't know what they should have done.

Look at that. Ben Affleck, making me think.

(P.S. I'm sorry, this is completely, 100 percent unrelated, but I have to say it: It's late, I have the TV on and The Wedding Date just ended on TNT. Now My Best Friend's Wedding is on. Dermot Mulroney is in both movies. WHO decided that he is sexy? Who? I would have liked to have been consulted on that. He totally comes off as wooden, and I'm sorry, but to be sexy you have to actually have a personality. I don't care how tall or dark-haired or smoldering you try to make yourself, YOU NEED A PERSONALITY! I do like this movie, though. OK. Done.)

24 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger michelle said...

amen to the dermot comment ... i watched the wedding date on tv last weekend and i was thinking the same thing.

i hope to see gone baby gone in the next couple of weeks ... one would wonder though, at the moment, if ben is more excited about the oscar buzz or the fact that the sox are on their way to the world series!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger kim said...

Now that you say it -- Dermot, every single movie people act around him and he is there like the director said things like, "Look unamused, look unaffected , smolder a little."

I'll tell you what it is though, why he gets the jobs in the chick movies -- chicks dig scars.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Melek said...

i caught the tail end of the wedding date last night when he was finally professing his love to Debra M. and i couldn't tell if he was going to kiss her, if he was angry, or maybe just a little constipated.... hmmmm.

i loved the book Gone Baby Gone, and it's on my shelf now, so maybe i'll read it before i go see the movie. thanks for the review, i was on the fence about watching it.

ok, so when i went to submit this comment, your Word Verification wasn't displaying, so i clicked on 'listen and type the numbers you hear' and it's a weird backwards playing conversation and then some random woman saying numbers. very odd.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

Good movie review - makes me want to see it! I love Ben Affleck! But Matt Damon is yummier.

I was never a Dermot fan either, he always looks like he has a sneer on his face.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

I've always thought Casey Affleck was hot. And the better actor of the Affleck brothers.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger kay said...

i can't wait to see that movie! thanks for the thumbs up to see it

whenever i see dermot i think of him as dirty steve from young guns. i just can't get over that about him

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I want to see that movie, but I'm usually not brave enough for Lehane's stories, as he's pretty dark. Hooray for the Affleck boys, though!

I know what you mean about not thinking Ben was too terribly bright. I was on a long cab ride a couple of years ago and heard him interviewed on NPR for one of those movies that sounded beyond stupid, and was stunned to hear how interesting he could be. His perspective made me long to have him and wife Jen over for dinner. I mean, rumor has it they have a place here in Cambridge, so it could happen, right?

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Beth said...

ya, he is a little wooden...but isn't that what you want in a guy? ! HA!!!! Hey, it's what I look for!!

I can't believe that Ben Affleck is doing so good....I thought JLo would have ruined him, but he has redeemed himself nicely. and JLo is SOOOOOO pregnant!!! Just admit it already!!! everyone knows she's wanted a baby for sooo long, now that she's finally pregnant...no announcement?! HUH?

I love you swishy!!!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Rob said...

>>WHO decided that he is sexy? <<

I hear ya! From the male side of things WHO decided Pamela Anderson was sexy? The WAY over done make up, the done, undone, redone, redone and then overdone breasts make up a package that is just scary. I mean I see small children scream and cower when she comes on TV. "Don't let the scary clown get me Daddy!"

Besides, if five gallons of DuPont's finest silicone window caulking shaped into hemispheres did it for me then I would just buy five gallons of window caulking and be set for life.

Heck, those blow up dolls for sale in the back of cheap men's magazines have less plastic in them than Pam Anderson. Literally!

I just don't get it.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

""I almost somersaulted down the stairs of the theater and started making out with the movie screen""

That is why I like to read your blog.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

Your somersault/movie isle/make out with the screen line? Classic. Pure genious (did I spell that wrong? It looks weird Look at me, the spelling genious. Still doesn't look right).

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm so happy Ben is redeeming himself. I used to have the biggest crush on him back in College then Gigli and the JLo thing happened and then I was embarrassed by my obsession.

Loved your cartwheel comment. So hilarious.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger JenKneeBee said...

I'm really glad he's making a come back too! He's made some really bad personal & professional career moves, but everyone loves an amazing comeback.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Ohhhh, Beth, you crack me up! Ha ha ha. Speaking of J.Lo, I was reading US Weekly yesterday and, I don't know if this true, but they said J.Lo and Ben tried to have a baby for a while. Can you IMAGINE how differently things would have turned out???

What else ... I do not get Pamela Anderson at ALL! I know what you mean about Lehane--I didn't see Mystic River, even though I heard it was great, because I was afraid it would be a little too dark for me. And thank you for the nice cartwheel compliments :)

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Drewpy Drew said...

First off, with Dermot it's all about the voice. He has that rugged thing going on. It's the same reason that my wife digs Bill Pullman and Viggo. Sometimes it only takes one quality to make someone hot. The Bruce Willis smirk or Liv Tyler's eyes for example.

Second, I totally get what you mean about acting talent. I thought that I would never use the words 'George Clooney' and 'great movie' in the same sentence. Then I saw 'Oh brother, where art thou.' and 'Good night and good luck.'

Who knew?

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

THat's so nice to hear the movie was good cuz I read the article in DETAILS mag where Ben was on the cover and he sounded SO worried about his directorial debut. I'll need to hear more about this flick from you swish.

Ben's always been on my radar as a hottie.

And his bro--you crack me up with the ninja somersaulting onto the screen!

xo

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Liz said...

I decided Dermot was sexy! I mean, not in some of his movies, like when he had the mullet in About Schmidt, but like...Where the Day Takes You. That's old school, and I think I remember him being hott. Oh, and The Thing Called Love! Although River was way more hott. Okay, I'm just going to be over here, not talking.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Bianca Reagan said...

Where has Casey Affleck been all my life? Because hot damn, he is sizzling in this movie, and I swear he was never, EVER that hot before. There's this one scene ... I won't ruin it, just in case, but suffice it to say there is one scene where he is so hot I almost somersaulted down the stairs of the theater and started making out with the movie screen.

Casey was going to be my baby daddy, until he went and married his first baby mama. I've enjoyed his hotness since Good Will Hunting.

I couldn't stand Dermot in The Family Stone. It wasn't entirely his fault. Any movie that made me hate Rachel McAdams and wish that Diane Keaton's character would hurry up and die couldn't have been the best project for anyone involved.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger kim said...

Swishy, I'm cross talking because I don't know if you come back to check comments or not -- what's your Nate story?
do tell.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger kim said...

Oh and Pam Anderson -- the guy she just married? Doesn't he look like Mango from the SNL skits?

I've seen him in interviews before, such a nice boy -- she must have married him for his fine character.

..."If she's dumb enough to let me tape it..."

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Jenster said...

I agree with the Dermot comment. Totally.

As usual, Swishy, I love the way you tell your story. SO FUNNY! And I want to see the movie.

Okay. I really want to see that scene you're talking about with Casey. In a few months the movie will be on DVD and you can rent it and lick your TV screen in the privacy of your own home.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger icanseeclearlynow said...

ben looked like such a doofus when he was with j-lo. i now give him cool points for being with jennifer garner, who i LOVE!

hubby and i do plan on checking out gone baby gone. it does look good. thanks for keeping the spoilers out.

hmm ... durmot mcmulroy. another doofus. but i did like my best friend's wedding.

:) maria

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Angela WD said...

I haven't seen this one yet. It's funny that you're so surprised about Ben Affleck because he has always seemed kind of dumb to me. Appearances (and bad choices) are deceiving!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I love Debra messing's hair in that movie. LOL

and I loved the departed which makes me think I'll probably love gone baby gone as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home