Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Nicest man on the planet

(OK, I want to say one thing first: You guys are SO GREAT. You really are. I'm not sure I can really explain it, but I think about that--how great you all are--all the time and I just felt like telling you. I hope that's not too random.)

OK. You know what? I was like two-thirds of the way through an entirely different post, but I'm sitting here, watching the repeat of Tim Gunn's Guide to Style, and I HAVE to blog about this instead. Because ...

Tim Gunn is the most wonderful human being in the world. I mean, seriously. The nicest person EVER!

You know Tim Gunn, right? The mentor from Project Runway? Of course I adore him on that show, but I was up in the air when I heard about his new one. Just because, you know, there are SO MANY makeover shows on TV. But then this girl at work was like, "Swishy, I saw a preview of it last night and YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT! You will LOVE it!"

So I watched it. And I LOVE it!

So first, Tim Gunn. The man is an angel, an honest-to-goodness angel. He's funny and honest and warm and genuine, and it all just radiates from him. I know this is going to sound corny and cheesy and ridiculous, but I swear to you it's true: I watched Tim Gunn on that show tonight and it made me want to be a better person. I KNOW how that sounds! But it did, it really did. I want people to feel that good when they're around me. He makes you feel great and empowered JUST BY BEING ON TV! I can't imagine what he's like in person!

Did any of you read the Entertainment Weekly story on him probably a year ago? In it, they talk about how he was in love with someone, like, 25 years ago who broke his heart so badly that he knew he could never be in a relationship ever again. Isn't that the most horrible thing you've ever heard? It makes me wonder about the kind of person who's capable of hurting someone that good and kind. Poor Tim Gunn!

All right. The show. The show is SO CUTE! You guys, it will be on like a thousand times this weekend, so please watch it. It made me laugh, it made me (almost) cry ... and, yes, I know, I totally sound like a publicist for the show. (Bravo, please make out that check to Swishy. S-w-i-s-h-y.)

So here are two things they taught the girl tonight: First, you need to have a fashion inspiration. (Hers was Jessica Alba.) And second, you need to walk like you have a feel-good soundtrack playing in your mind, because it gives you confidence. (I don't know what hers was. But this guy I used to work with? I SWEAR to you he had "Stayin' Alive" playing in his head whenever he walked down the hall.)

If I were going to pick a fashion inspiration ... maybe Reese Witherspoon? I like the way Jennifer Aniston dresses, too. Soundtrack is WAY harder. I'll have to think about it some more and post in the comments ... in the meantime, I am DYING to hear yours!

20 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

Squeeee! I love Tim Gunn too!

And I love this show (watched the preview the other night) because unlike the other makeover shows, they teach you to be a better person too, etc.

And I would like to find that person and kill them for breaking Tim Gunn's heart.

I heart him with the heat of 1,000 suns!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

I have a confession. I had to Google him. Did you know he was on Ugly Betty?

Soundtrack:
Motion City Soundtrack - Everything is Alright
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - By the Skin of my Country Yellow Teeth
Anything Snow Patrol

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

I am a big Top Chef fan, so I keep seeing promos for this show. I'm going to have to tivo it.

But tell me, is it a rip off of What not to Wear? Because I would feel like I was cheating on Stacey and Clinton if it is... And that just wouldn't work for me.

I have no idea who I would pick for style inspiration. Maybe someone who opts for casual like Drew Barrymore, except not that horrible green dress she wore to some awards show that made her boobs droop to her waist. Otherwise I think she looks great and relaxed and put together.

Hmmm. Soundtracks are hard. Keith Urban's Golden Road CD is upbeat and optimistic. So maybe that one... But I've been on a ridiculously long Keith Urban kick lately, so who knows if that will stick.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Jenster said...

My inpsiration would be...

The mom on Everybody Loves Raymond and my music would be anything from Charlie Brown.

Now who wants to buy my clothes??

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

You are (as usual) SO right! Tim Gunn rocks. I adore him. I wasn't home last night, but I LOVE the fact that Bravo reruns shows so I know I can catch it this weekend. He makes me happy.

And I love the soundtrack idea! I'm working on the soundtrack for my book, but I think I'll need something a little more sassy for day-to-day walking around...

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

You inspired me...I blogged about Tim, too :)

Still working on my fashion inspiration. I love Jennifer Aniston's style, but I'm not sure I can spend that many years carb-free to get that lean...

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger kim said...

He's been single for 25 years?

I was a kind, warm and decent human being when I was single -- coincidence?

Oh, ha! I crack myself up.

I like a funked up classic look, like Jackie O. meets a fashionable junkie.
Jackie O. and junkies -- my fashion inspirations -- great (I like a more laundered look than an actual junkie, but I think you can get me, right?)

Soundtrack: Kate Bush's "Big Sky" because it sounds like ten songs playing at one time, thus pleasing all of my personalities at the same time -- which is important to keeping them all occupied if I'm to walk with the look of confidence.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Cecily R said...

Hey I found your blog through Manic Mommy's and like I am to hers, I'm already addicted.

I think Tim Gunn might look at me and very nicely tell me that there is no hope, soundtrack or not. He may be super nice but he's not magic! :)

P.S. Great writing!

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Ok, you know me and how I don't watch TV.

Well, let's see about inspirations... well, I'd have to say SWISHY! And soundtrack: Swishy's Gray's Anatomy mix?

It's so true about walking like you mean it though, and just feeling like you've got it going on! Work it girlfriend!

hee hee!

xo

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I love Tim Gunn. I can't believe I forgot to watch.

The theme song idea is so Ally McBeal. I love it. Except everything I think of is kind of slow.....?

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger TTQ said...

Angelina Jolie- always in black, classic lines (though she needs a few Big Macs)

Soundtrack- Tori Amos "Silent All These Years"

God- I'm so tortured.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Yeah, it's a lot like What Not to Wear, but they let you keep the clothes you want to. (And Kim? You are so funny ... ha ha.)

Welcome, Cecily! Thank you!

I totally loved Ally McBeal. I was all into the "personal theme song" when that show was on.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I would totally loe to gossip with Tim Gunn...but then, he'd only have nice things to say about people!!

hmm...I l ike Jen Anniston too...she's always so classic...Angie is a little too dark for me, but when she wears color..WOW!

soundtrack?....I have to think about that one for a minute...

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Fashion inspiration???

...I'm soooo moody when it comes to clothes.

...sometimes I'll be like Charlotte from Sex In the City...
....and sometimes I'll want to look just like Fergie's "The Dutchess" album cover....

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Katirocks said...

Swishy, I had to come over here & check you out. Ya know Manic said you were fer favorite blog friend (I'm in the #2 spot, ha ha) so I had to come on over.
I love this blog. I haven't seen the show, I intend to go look for it on the guide & DVR it. Thanks for the tip!
My inspiration would have to be Jennifer Garner. I love her & she's just so cute & fresh looking all the time. (even in her jeans & tennys) Theme song is definitely harder....I'm a music whore & flit around all the time. I don't know that I could settle on one. I'll have to put some serious thought into it! Thanks a ton for the thought provoking question. My mind has turned to applesauce these last few years & it's ALWAYS nice to use it again.
Love your blog! - Kate

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Bianca Reagan said...

My soundtrack (for now) would be Backstreet Boys, the self-titled album. "Backstreet's back, all right!"

My style inspiration is Liz Lemon, Tina Fey's completely unrelated character on 30 Rock. Very cool.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger The Franchise said...

One Soundtrack coming up:

The Getaway People: Six Packs
Counting Crows: Accidentally in Love
Katrina And The Waves: Walking on Sunshine
The Bodeans: Closer To Free
Blind Melon: No Rain

Those are the top 5 off the top of my head...

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Serenity Now! said...

Oh! Walk like you have a feel-good soundtrack playing in your mind. I like that!

Heather
www.mamaneedsabookcontract.com

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

You guys! I am loving your answers. They're so fun. I keep trying to think of my personal soundtrack and I JUST DON'T KNOW! It depends SO much on my mood. But I will say--embarrassing as it is--that the one song that ALWAYS gets me in a good mood is Mmm Bop. HA HA.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Andie said...

Audrey Hepburn or Debra Messing.

Soundtrack.... hmmmm that's a good question... I'll have to come back to you on that one. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home