Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, September 14, 2007

I looooove the Emmys!

Oh, I'm so excited. I just adore the Emmys. I love the Golden Globes the absolute best, but the Emmys are right behind. I'm gonna live-blog again this year, I think, but before I get caught up in the red-carpet frenzy, a few picks/thoughts ...

First off, my big concern was the red carpet, but it turns out Ryan Seacrest has cloned himself, so he's doing the red carpet AND hosting the show! Seriously, that is insane to me. I would be throwing up in the gilded toilet in my dressing room 30 minutes before showtime, not standing out in the sun asking Eva Longoria who she's wearing. Anyway, I hope he does a good job. It will be different, I think, but I actually think he'll do fine.

OK, the categories:

Outstanding actor, drama
James Gandolfini, The Sopranos
Hugh Laurie, House
Denis Leary, Rescue Me
James Spader, Boston Legal
Kiefer Sutherland, 24

This is the category I have the biggest beef with. I'd bounce James Spader and either Leary or Gandolfini and replace them with Michael C. Hall (Dexter) and Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights). I seriously do not understand how neither of those guys got nominated. I mean, James Spader? Seriously?

Who I want to win: Kiefer Sutherland, because Jack Bauer is one of my make-believe boyfriends and a trip to the podium equals more chances to ogle him.
Who will win: STUPID JAMES GANDOLFINI! Ughhh.

Outstanding actress, drama
Patricia Arquette, Medium
Minnie Driver, The Riches
Edie Falco, The Sopranos
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
Sally Field, Brothers & Sisters

Who I want to win: Connie Britton, but she's (inexplicably) not nominated. So Mariska Hargitay, because I think she's gorgeous. That's really my only factor in what is obviously a very scientific, analytical process.
Who will win: Hmmm. This is a toughie. I think it's a three-way race between Edie, Sally and Kyra ... I think I'm gonna go with Sally Field in an upset. Craaazy!

Outstanding actress, comedy
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
Felicity Huffman, Desperate Housewives
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

This is such a hard category!

Who I want to win: Tina Fey or Julia Louis-Dreyfus, because they would give the best speeches.
Who will win: America Ferrera, because Hollywood likes opportunities to prove it embraces normal people and not just utterly abnormal freaks of nature.

Outstanding actor, comedy
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Steve Carell, The Office
Ricky Gervais, Extras
Tony Shalhoub, Monk
Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

I will be so freaking annoyed if Tony Shalhoub wins. I'm sorry, I DO NOT GET IT.

Who I want to win: Steve Carell!
Who will win: I say ... Alec Baldwin.

Outstanding supporting actress, drama
Lorraine Bracco, The Sopranos
Rachel Griffiths, Brothers & Sisters
Katherine Heigl, Grey's Anatomy
Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy
Aida Turturro, The Sopranos
Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy

Who I want to win: Katherine Heigl. (See: Mariska Hargitay, pretty factor.)
Who will win: Conventional wisdom says the Grey's girls and the Sopranos' ladies will cancel each other out, leaving ... Rachel Griffiths? Maybe?

Outstanding supporting actor, drama
Michael Emerson, Lost
Michael Imperioli, The Sopranos
T.R. Knight, Grey's Anatomy
Terry O'Quinn, Lost
Masi Oka, Heroes
William Shatner, Boston Legal

Who I want to win: Michael Emerson, only because he freaked my ass out on The Practice way back when. (Sorry, but George O'Malley was TOO WHINY last season!)
Who will win: I say ... Masi Oka. People love that dude.

Outstanding supporting actress, comedy
Conchata Ferrell, Two and a Half Men
Jenna Fisher, The Office
Elizabeth Perkins, Weeds
Jaime Pressly, My Name is Earl
Holland Taylor, Two and a Half Men
Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty

Who I want to win: Pam! Of course!
Who will win: Either Vanessa Williams or Jaime Pressly. I kinda feel like it's going to be an Ugly Betty year, though.

Outstanding supporting actor, comedy
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Kevin Dillon, Entourage
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Rainn Wilson, The Office

Who I want to win: TOTALLY Rainn Wilson!
Who will win: I'm gonna guess Neil Patrick Harris.

Outstanding reality competition
The Amazing Race
American Idol
Dancing With the Stars
Project Runway
Top Chef

Who I want to win: I love Project Runway AND Amazing Race. It's like trying to choose between chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream. I love 'em both.
Who will win: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Project Runway, even though Amazing Race has won every year ever. Although it WOULD be kind of cute if American Idol won, just because FOX, Seacrest ... you know.

Outstanding comedy
Entourage
The Office
30 Rock
Two and a Half Men
Ugly Betty

Who I want to win: The Office, but of course.
Who will win: Remember how I said I thought it was Ugly Betty's year?

Outstanding drama
Boston Legal
Grey's Anatomy
Heroes
House
The Sopranos

I do NOT understand why Boston Legal is nominated. I love David Kelley as much as anyone, but does anyone even watch that show? I mean, please, tell me if you do, because I would love to know. Friday Night Lights should totally be in here, and I'd say 24 on its worst day is still better than some of these shows on their best. And I have mentioned my newfound love of Dexter?

Who I want to win: You'd think I'd say Grey's, wouldn't you? Well, I'm not. If they win, Shonda Rhimes will feel vindicated for that crappy season and that CANNOT happen. So I'm abstaining.
Who will win: Freaking stupid Sopranos. I was not a Sopranos fan, but I watched that season finale and thought it was absolutely INSULTING. It was the worst series finale I have ever seen, and trust me, I have seen some horrible series finales.

All right. Have a great weekend, everyone ... come back on Sunday and say hi!

15 Comments:

At 2:51 AM, Blogger Cecily R said...

So I've decided something. I'm going to quit reading Watch With Kristin on E!online and just read what you have to say about TV. More fun.

I totally agree with what you said about FNL...I LOVED that show last season and am totally excited for season two. Thank heaven for DVR or I wouldn't get to watch anything!!!

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger kim said...

That's just too much Seacrest for any one day.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Moanna said...

I'm with Cecily R, I'm printing out your list. Gotta say that I love James Spader. See, I watch Boston Legal and imagine him back on the couch in Sex, Lies and, Videotape...

But I totally agree w/ you on Tony Salhoub and also the Sopranos. And Seacrest. Go Ryan!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

wow you really put a lot of thought into this!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I watch Boston Legal. It is hilariously twisted. I was actually bummed last year when James Spader wasn't nominated.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

Is it sad that I only watch The Office, Ugly Betty and Heroes?

I don't even know who half those people are.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Patti said...

wait, jack, er i mean kiefer is your make bvelieve boyfriend?! we have been pretend lovers for years...i love it when he shows me his gun in the crouching position. mmmmm....

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Monnik said...

Oh how I agree with your assessment of Friday Night Lights. I can't wait for this show to start again. Maybe someone will notice it this season... Amazing talent on that show.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

I also do not get Tony Shaloub! He already has a couple awards, give it to someone else this time!

I too think FNL deserved some big nominations, hopefully next year?

Instead of Seacrest on the red carpet I am going to watch Lisa Rinna and Joey Fatone on TVGuide.

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

I love, love, love award shows!

And know where I'm going to be during the Emmy's? On a damn plane, that's where.

So my TiVo is all set.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger flea said...

wow, you really know your stuff!! all i care about is the red carpet...so what do i know!! other than i can't wait!!!!!!!!!

*oh i also hate, the guy from monk too!! like who watches that show? & he's so creepy & weird or something....

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Are you gonna ditch out on work like last time? HA HA HA!!
Enjoy the Emmy's. What kind of treat are you going to have? You left that out, and that is my favorite part!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Just A Girl In GA said...

Oh I Love Love LOVE the Emmmy's - second to only to the Golden Globes for me also. I really want Greys Anatomy to win something - anything. Ugly Betty winning woudl be great also. I don't even know who that Tony Schloub dud is who wins??? Oh and the Soprano's, okay give them an award and lets be done with them sweeping every year. I will be watching the red carpet to see who has what taped up or on, that is always fun too.

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous kristi said...

i think you're right about the ugly betty year and i hate that show. what they don't win the sopranos will becuase it seems like everytime a show ends they clean up at the next awards show. as for the sopranos ending like it did i heard the creator say something about having to go back a few episodes to what tony said about dying and how he thought when you die everything just sorta fades to black and that's it. so i took that to mean he died and it faded to black. who knows i would rather have seen him get shot. and i am right there with you on the office. i think it's one of the funniest things on tv in a long time.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Sara Hantz said...

I watch Boston Legal.... not keen on JS though, so I'm happy for him not to win!!

I LOVE Ugly Betty so if it wins all the awards I won't complain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home