Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

The emo made me do it

So I worked late again the other night. Everyone else was gone by about 6:30, so I took a sweep through the office to make sure no one was lurking behind a cubicle wall and then I turned on some music while I worked.

OK, I might have talked about this before, I don't remember, but every few weeks or so I find a song that I REALLY like that I totally latch on to for a while. I listen to it, over and over and over again, until basically the thought of listening to it one more time makes me want to slice my eardrums with the edge of a CD. The song this time was Hero/Heroine by Boys like Girls. (Which you can listen to here if you want, you know, the audio/visual.) I turned it up and every time it ended, I hit play again. And again. And again.

I'm going to interrupt myself here--do you ever have, like, a whole little movie in your head with certain songs? I do that ALL THE TIME. I have a total movie in my head for this song. It's all about this guy who's sort of cautious or whatever about relationships, and this girl manages to sneak past that when he's not paying attention and they fall for each other and it's all very cute and sweet. There's this line: "If you want to get inside, then you can get in line. But not this time. Because you caught me off guard ..." and that's basically the gist of the song.

So back to the story. The "you caught me off guard" parts are my favorite, so naturally, since the music's playing out loud and I'm by myself, I start singing. Loudly. (And, as we've established, badly.) But not the whole song--just that line, and maybe the few lines around it. So, say, every 43 seconds or so, I burst out in song.

This goes on for maybe, I don't know, a half hour. And then all of a sudden I hear something. I slide over and peek down the hallway and, yup, there's someone there. A someone I like to call The Boss of Everyone. Who has been sitting back in his corner office listening to me belt out "you caught me off guard" for 30 minutes.

Yeah, I'm SO on the fast track.

23 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger kim said...

mornin swishy.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger simonsays said...

Heavens girl....that must have been quite a moment when you realized you were NOT alone...can't help myself, the idea makes me laugh, but only because that person singing loudly is usually ME....

Hang in there.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

You guys are up so early!!!

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger imkay32 said...

that is so funny! and so like something that would happen in a movie. especially after you did a check of the whole place.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Moanna said...

You made me actually laugh out loud, not just type LOL. I'm thinking he's hoping you didn't notice he was there, secretly enjoying the performance. He coulda clapped after the first time.

I did wonder who Emo was and why he made you do it, so went to Wikipedia, learned that "emo" is a style of rock music derived from the term "emocore", short for "emotional hardcore". I am such a boomer. Short for prehistoric.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Patti said...

awkward!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

oh, man... did The Boss say anything to you?

that's funny. And a much less subtle way of proving to the boss that you're a committed worker, staying late. I usually just send an email so they can tell I was there late. :)

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Looks like Boss Man CAUGHT YOU OFF GUARD!!!

It's not like you were prancing around doing jazz squares (got that one from High School Musical) and kicks, right? You were working!!!!

What did Boss Man say?

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

HA! I know, it was totally funny. He just kind of smiled and was like, "See you tomorrow, Swishy." I was all, "Umm ... yeah. OK. See you tomorrow. Bye," and then as soon as he walked out, I was all, ha ha ha ha ha.

Moanna, I LOVE that you looked up emo on Wikipedia!!!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

heeee heeee heeee!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

This happened to me once too! I mean not exactly. It wasn't your boss guy and it wasn't the same song- but you get the picture.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

At least the boss is a guy! That's the kinda thing that guys love about girls and what makes other girls mean to each other...

My old boss would have totally pulled a school marm attitude to go with her sour puss face and church clothes. (And she would have said if you aren't working late then you should just go home. Because Duh, she can't sing and work.

I filmed Honey doing Elton John last week playing keyboard on his desk and belting out songs while he had his earphones on. He turns bright red everytime I play it back..

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

The chick in the cube next to me was singing out loud with her headphones on yesterday. She was singing "These Boots Are Made For Walking" by Nancy Sinatra out loud.

But like you, only like every seventh line.

And then she started belching out loud. I love my job.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Oh swishy...I freakin LOVE you! I think it would be so much fun to just spend time with you...singing, shopping, eating....anything. You're the best.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger cubmommy said...

That is so funny!

I always sing with the music they play at the grocery store. Especially if it is a Journey song. There is always a Journey song playing when I go. Weird huh.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

HILARIOUS.
I used to make up movie scenes for peoplpe in commercials...very very odd habit I had a couple years back, like I'd have a whole scene played out in my head for after the commercial what happens. Weirdness ;o

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Swishy's first book: "How To Succeed In Corporate America" :)

But look at it this way - you may have been singing loudly and even off-key - but you were the only person still in the office after hours. That has to count for something, right???

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

HAHAHAHA! HAHAhahaha! Hahahaha!

Finally, someone else was caught!
I was caught a few years back by the Regional VP. Thankfully, he already knew I was a bit eccentric and he had a great sense of humor, so we both laughed it up. :)

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger The Franchise said...

The same thing happened to me except I was on the subway...and it was a whole new world from Aladdin. I wish that was a joke. By the way you know that wall behind your house...yep that wall. It's now yours, I bought it. Never give up on your paintings. EVER.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

Josh, I think the wall thing was a one time gift. Not every girl wants one.

I wonder if boss man was secretly singing along too?

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Andie said...

thanks for the laugh.

somehow your blogs always bring a smile to an otherwise crappy day!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

This is just too funny! One way to look at it is you definately got the Boss Man's attention. He will always remember who you are. I think a positive, upbeat employee is a great thing!! It does sound like something that happens in a movie thou!

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

You guys are AWESOME! You're totally making me laugh, and you're sooooo nice!

I would go on, but I have to go paint a mural now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home