Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Kids are cute

I'm tired, working late and in the midst of (YET. ANOTHER.) shitty week, but a couple quick, cute things because I'm sick of seeing the word "penis" at the top of my blog.

So my friend has this little girl who just turned five. The most awesome thing about this little girl is that she thinks I'm cool, despite the fact that I'm constantly telling her, "Don't do that!" Whenever she sees me, she acts like it's Christmas morning (that part's not me--she acts the same way when she sees dogs and ice cream, but I'll take it). I tell my friend all the time that the day she doesn't run over and hurl herself on top of me when she sees me is going to be the most depressing day of my life. It's coming--I'm going to show up, and she's going to be online instant messaging her friends and be like, "Oh. Hey, Swishy." And then turn around and update her MySpace page or something. My heart's breaking already!

Anyway. So lately, when I see her, I'll sit down with her and ask her to tell me all about what's going on in her life. And every time, this is what she does: She opens her mouth like she's going to answer, shuts it, then opens it again and goes, "You tell ME about YOUR life first!" She insists. She won't say a word until I go first. So then I say stuff like, I don't know, I cleaned my room, I went to work, I ran around so I could get some exercise. And it's SO cute, because she totally makes these grown-up sounds as I talk, like, "Uh huh ... uh huh ... oooooh! That sounds fun!" Just COMPLETELY attentive as I relay the most basic parts of my day. I think it's adorable.

And then the other day, we had this conversation:

Me: How's it going, pretty girl?
Her: Hey! I'm not your pretty girl. You're MY pretty girl!
Me: I am?
Her: Yeah. You're my pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, PRETTY girl! Pretty, pretty, PRETTY girl!

Did I mention that she's also very smart? Ha.

14 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Beth said...

awwww!!! How cute! And she's SOOOOO smart Too!!!

I have a freind like that..her name is Lexi and she's 11, and we talk fashion and hair and makeup...all the good stuff. the day she is too busy for me will KILL me!!!

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Kids can truly change your perspective.

I can have one hell of a crummy day and ten minutes after getting home my boys will say or do somehting that erases all the idiots I've encountered.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

That is fabulous. Little girl power is one of the best things on earth. They should bottle it.

I taught my almost-four year old niece to use makeup the other day. She is so totally certain that she's beautiful - and that I am too (not to mention mommy) that it does WAY more for my self-image than any magazine article or psych book ever could.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Trish said...

That is tooo cute.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Patti said...

where can i get me one of these small peopel who think i rock?

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger cubmommy said...

That is so cute and she is smart! You are a pretty girl.

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

She's a genius.

Kids really can make it all better. I remember that every time I go over to visit my niece and nephews.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger honeykbee said...

Not only a sweetie pie, but brilliant as well! I imagine that my cat and I have the same sort of conversations but I know, in my heart of hearts, that even though I'm talking (and often having both sides of our "conversations") he's really not paying me any attention at all.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

You ARE pretty!

And I'm sick of vacation. It sucks. But at least I'll have a shitload of stuff to blog about.

Miss ya!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

You do be the prettiest girl! Kids can be brutally honest.. and sometimes it's a good thing.

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Oh, my gosh, you guys are SO NICE!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

OMG, the way you wrote this gave me the clearest vision of that little girl. I'm glad I stopped by here today. Put a smile on my face. She sounds adorable.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Just A Girl In GA said...

Kids are the best, they sure have a way of picking up your spirit.

I had the same relationship with my niece who is now 23 and all graduated from college and working. Don't worry about her being to busy for you, the time will come and pass and she will be back in your life making you smile.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Andie said...

clearly that girl is a genius!

hope you're having a great day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home