Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Sunday, June 17, 2007

7 Up

The lovely Golightly tagged me the other day. So here, without further ado, are seven random facts about myself:

* My teeth are pretty straight but I never had braces or a retainer. I wanted them, though. I would cry big buckets of tears because I was the only kid in my class (well, not really, but it felt like it) who didn't have colored rubber bands on their teeth or a retainer case in their backpack. I felt like I was missing out on some kind of coming-of-age experience or something.

* I'm blonde, but I always wanted red hair, like Julia Roberts' or Kate Walsh's.

* One of my biggest fears in life is the idea that I might not have enough time to do everything I want to do. I get serious anxiety about it sometimes--it really freaks me out.

* I've broken a major bone (not counting fingers) three times. I broke my arm in fifth grade. A boy was chasing me down the hill at recess, and I turned to see how far he was behind me, and SMACK. Right into the monkey bars. I passed out and everything. It was a horrible break and my arm still hurts sometimes when it rains. I broke my leg in seventh grade playing basketball--I went up for a rebound and landed on my ankle. It doesn't hurt anymore, but it DOES buckle at the most random times and make me look like a complete spaz. And then I broke my cheekbone right before my junior year of high school. I was filling in on an adult men's softball team, playing second base, and someone hit a line drive right at my head when I wasn't paying attention (I believe I was checking out a guy on an adjacent field ... ha). I had a black eye for seriously half my junior year. I couldn't wear contacts for a long time but I was too vain to wear glasses, so I walked around with one contact in for months. Bad. I don't recommend it. (OK, seriously, though? The whole thing was really sick. For one thing, I stayed in the game, so by the time I got home my face was so swollen that it took hours to get my contact out of my eye. I was borderline hysterical. And then once the swelling went down enough for me to open my eye, BLOOD drained into my EYE. BLOOD. Covering my EYE! It was sooooo sick.)

* When I was a kid, like probably 8 or 9, I used to make my own radio shows. I'd talk into one tape recorder and put another tape player right next to it when it was time to play music.

* I constantly feel misunderstood. I've felt that way my entire life, and it drives me crazy.

* I have this habit of chewing on the inside of my cheek. I don't know how else to describe it, but suffice it to say it looks really freakish.

OK, your turn. Tell me something random about yourself!

23 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I chew on my cheeks at night. I'll wake up and have a perfectly straight line of bite marks on either side.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

On the retainer/braces thing... I had to wear this freakish contraption called a bionater. It was a retainer that kept my top and bottom teeth sort of glued together. Clench your teeth together and try to talk. That's how I was my entire 8th grade year. God how I wished I could just have had braces like everyone else!!!


Yowza - that cheekbone/eye injury sounds brutal!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger kim said...

My sisters and I made retainers -- we straightened paper clips, then bent them to look like a retainter wire.

Then I had a bike accident and knocked out a new front tooth (I was 8), then I got real braces and when I had the retainer it was with a fake tooth on it. After the near death embarassment was over, I had a lot of fun freaking people out with it.

Now it's a bridge, so no more dropping the tooth for fun.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Ok, this enough to bring me out of lurking. You're the only other PWAP (Person Without a Penis) I know who got hit in the head with a baseball. In junior high, I was pitching in a practice game and our best hitter blasted a softball straight into my nose. This was the day before yearbook pictures were taken. I still wish I'd sat for the pictures...

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Patti said...

i had the same experience with the teeth. i got straighties, and i longed for braces. i have also never had a cavity. people hate me over that one.

i also am a natural blonde, but i wanted to have jet black hair (i am also vvveeeerrrryyyy pale...can you imagine the combo?!), and i wanted everyone to call me sandy.

my dad was in radio/tv so i actually got to do radio. it was as cool as you thought when you were a kid.

when i was playing bb as a kid, i went in for the layup, and when i came down the heaviest girl on the team fell right on top of my leg hairline fracturing it. it was in jr. high and i weighed about, i kid you not, maybe 95 pounds. i was also 5'9". that's hot....

there is ohso much more, but i will spare you...

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

Girl, you must be one tough chica for first of all, filling in on a men's team and second of all - taking a ball to the eye/cheekbone. And living to tell about it! Ouch!!!!!

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Take heart all you girls who dreamt of braces. Guys always have been and always will be slighlty scared of girls with braces.

And not even entirely due to the obvious and cliched reasoning. Althouth that is a factor.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Travis Erwin said...

by the way props and staying in the game. Msot of us guys would have bailed, but I readily admit women are tougher.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Beth said...

that is really gross about your cheek and your eye. I couldn't get along without my contacts, cuz, duh..I'm blind as a bat!!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

I used a paper clip for a retainer, too!

And Mary Ann, it happened not once, but TWICE! I coached a little league baseball team a few years ago. One of the kids was playing catcher for me while I hit ground balls, and he chucked the ball at me when my head was turned. Total black eye, two days before I was supposed to fly halfway across the country and see one of my old boyfriends. Fun!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

You know what? I don't understand you...

hahah, get it. that's a joke.

xo missed ya!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I love that you made your own radio show - that's fantastic! I've never heard of someone breaking a cheekbone before. Aren't you glad you got that out of the way when you were younger, rather than now when it would be WAY more difficult to explain??? I'd say that counts as a coming-of-age experience.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Drew Blackstone said...

Funny thing, I was chewing on the inside of my cheek as I read your post.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Just A Girl In GA said...

I had braces twice, once when I was 14 for 2 years and again when I was 17 (results of a car accident). I do remember losing my retainer A LOT. Threats from my parents that I had to buy the next one. Now kids get braces really young, my niece and nephew both had them when they were in like second grade.

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger XYZinn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger XYZinn said...

I ALWAYS wanted braces too! I am glad now that I had straight teeth, so maybe my kids will have those good genes and not make me pay up the wazoo for braces.
Okay, random thing about me...sometimes I squeeze my cheeks together when I look at my kids (or get overly excited). I really want to squeeze them, I think . Totally random and just started after I had kids.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

I always wanted braces too. We are freaks.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

When I was about 11 or 12 I had these horrific glasses (think Joan Collins/Dynasty) – one day I decided that I was ready for contacts, so I borrowed my aunts … I got them in but we had to go to the emergency room to get the taken out.
I was nearly 30 before I was ready to try contacts again!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Senor Beavis said...

I was a swimmer all through college. That's not my random fact. The random part is that I went to my first ever swim practice when I was 8 because a friend promised me a pack of Garbage Pail Kids if I went to swim practice with him.

I also can't snap. There's 2.

I got a black eye in baseball in the 5th grade. I tried to put the tag on a kid going for second before the throw from the outfield got there. That sucked. So did braces.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I had a black eye at my wedding..I think it's in my archives..It was a mishap at the make-up and hair run through..damn false eyelashes..

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Jenster said...

I know exactly what you mean about wanting a retainer or braces. I was the same way! Now it's kind of cool to say my straight teeth were God-given, but when everyone else has some type of appliance in your mouth it makes you feel a bit freakish!

Ouch on all the broken bones! LOL on the baseball game, though. I'm gonna hafta tell hubby about how you stayed in the game. You'll be his new hero.

I did the radio show thing, too!! Weird!!!

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous www.ramble-on-rose.com said...

I too wanted braces and used paper clips for a retainer and even put rubber bands in my mouth the clear ones... What a dweeb I was!!

I once fell of the monkey bars at school doing a trick called teeter totter with another girl and landed on glass and rocks and had so much dirt in my mouth I spit mud for days my face swelled up three times the size and had huge scabs for weeks... and had to eat with a straw as I couldnt open my mouth...

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

Deejay Swishy I like that one. Cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home