Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Summer project

I'm in decent shape. I work out more days than I don't, that kind of thing. But I basically work out to support my emotional eating habit, not because I have any illusions of whipping my body into Jennifer Garner pre-baby shape. Kind of like the way people get part-time jobs to support their compulsive shopping habit or, you know, the way hookers turn tricks to earn coke money. It's a means to an end, or at least some guilt-free chocolate-covered Oreos and a large order of McD's fries. (My kryptonite! YUMMY!)

Anyway, I've been doing essentially the same workout for years. And while it was very effective for a long time, I've been thinking for a while that it was time to switch it up, which I've done in little ways, but nothing huge. Then I read about this Couch to 5K program in People magazine a couple weeks ago (the one with the people who all lost, like, 100 pounds) and a few days later on the lovely Monnik's blog. And then I found out some friends of mine are looking for people to run a 5K in September. It was like the universe was coming together and saying, "Swishy! Run a 5K! You have all the tools! Now use them!"

So I'm running a 5K.

This is a very interesting goal to have because I hate running. I loathe it. (I usually do the elliptical, or walk fast uphill.) It's just really not that fun to me. I see people running down the sidewalk and it all looks very nice and healthy and for a half-second I think, "I should be one of those people!" And then the half-second passes and I go home and eat some ice cream. My high school softball coach made us run a mile before every practice (AND suicides after!) and no one bitched about it more than me. ("Whatever. I'm so sure we need ENDURANCE to run from HOME to FIRST," I'd say, since I felt a responsibility to speak for the people. Unfortunately, "the people" weren't ordered to run an extra lap for being smartassy. Just me.)

Anyway, so my summer project is to run a 5K. My first order of business was getting new shoes. I love my old sneakers. LOVE THEM. I got them for 25 bucks at a sidewalk sale and they were the best little shoes ever. But I'd had them for five (FIVE!) years, and I'd stepped on glass once that cut really deep in the sole, so that when it rained, my sock got wet, and they basically had no support left. They had definitely seen better days.



So I finally bit the bullet and got new shoes on Monday. I could NOT make up my mind. I wanted the new version of my old shoes, but apparently there was a reason they were 25 bucks at a sidewalk sale. Like, they don't MAKE THEM ANYMORE. So I went back to the store like three times and, after much, much debate (high ankle? low ankle? soft cushioning? medium cushioning?) I finally picked these.



I think they're pretty.

Next, I downloaded the podcasts (you can also find them free on iTunes) for the program. These are AWESOME, because there are very short intervals in the beginning, and they tell you when to walk and when to run so you can concentrate on the Lindsay Lohan rehab story in People instead of obsessively watching the clock.

The deal with doing the program is that you do it three times a week, and it builds you up slowly. Supposedly within two months you can do three miles. I can definitely run a mile now, probably more if you held a gun to my head, but I'm sticking to the program because they SWEAR that even if you hate running, you'll at least be OK with it by the end, the thinking being that most people burn themselves out too fast when they first start. Yesterday I did the first workout, and it was good! It was hard enough that I felt OK about the workout, but easy enough that I didn't want to kill anyone when I was done. No killing = good thing.

Now, here's my proposal. I will send an awesome major award to anyone else who gives this a shot this summer and finishes by, say, Labor Day. If I can try it, you can. And then it'll be one of those things you can say you did!

So ... you in?

25 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Monnik said...

I'm in!!!

Actually I'm already towards the end of the program, so that's not fair, but good luck to anyone who does this. It's a great program, and trust me. If I can do it, anyone can!!

And I love your rationale for working out. I'm the same way. I think a lot of us can identify with that reasoning. I'm telling you, peanut m&ms is a good motivator to get up and work out.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Ooh, I love that you didn't put the pressure on me to join you in this quest, although, new shoes would be fun!

Hee hee!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Senor Beavis said...

I'm not in, because my knees are shot, but you can TOTALLY do it. (waves fake pom-poms while listening to Jesse Bradford "sing" while jumping around on my bed). Possibly the most unintentionally hilarious scene in an otherwise awesome movie ever! Anyway, nice shoes. ("Bo knows it's got that air thing ... NICE SHOES!!!") And I repeat myself about N.E.R.D.'s "Lapdance" being the best workout song ever.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Just A Girl In GA said...

I am in to start a walking program. After a stressful year of losing a family member and a JOB (those MF'ers) I need to resume my exercise program. Actually I did run a mini marathon once in Detroit - on Thanksgiving Day -in the snow!!! Yes I am a tad bit obsessive about my goals

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Patti said...

i am a lifetime runner, and i think you are doing great. the new shoes were essential...no wanna the injuries...run swishy run!

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Miss Jones said...

Do I win by default if I ran 3 miles on Monday? :)

Just kidding! Have fun!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Patti said...

I got the package! Happy 10th bbirthday to me!!

I will put up a pic soon (and candy too?! whoohoo...).

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Senor Beavis said...

Nu Shooz!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Travis Erwin said...

5k does that equate out to more than fifty or sixty yards.

Yeah I though so. Better count me out. I'm trying to whip myself into shape but I think that is too lofty of goal for me to accomplish by the end of summer. But it certainly would put the LABOR in Labor Day.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

If I can buy some pretty sneakers, count me in! Treadmill running counts, right?

And do we have to run in an actual 5K at the end of the summer, or can we just vouch for our new status as private, less-pathetic-than-we used-to-be runners with pretty running shoes?

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

OK, I'm hear to tell you that those running programs work! I did one starting in Feb. to get my ass to run 5 miles at the end of March. And it started with a run one minute/walk 2 minutes kind of thing.

I, unlike you, was in HORRIBLE shape. After running a minute, I was like "how the hell am I supposed to run an hour straight in like 8 weeks?"

But I did! And I LIKE running now. (Granted, I haven't done it in forever.) And I didn't have the poscast, so I had to watch the clock.

You can TOTALLY do it! And I think you'll do fine. Septemeber is plenty of time. I find that not pushing yourself too hard is the key to enjoying running and the whole process, so stick to the plan.

I'll do it with you! Probably a modified version since I kinda run now. But haven't had the desire lately! This gives me the push!

Yay!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Andie said...

if you could sell me on it more... considering I HATE jogging, especially since I live in the sauna that is known as southeastern louisiana...

but if you convince me to do it, I may consider it. Heck, I have quite a few friends who run marathons.. I always feel like a lazy ass around them. LOL

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Jenster said...

Um... No. lol

Can't run anymore. Right knee is shot to hell. But I do WALK 5Ks! Or at least I used to and I will again one day.

I will cheer you and everyone else on, though!!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger cubmommy said...

Ok, I posted something this morning and thought it went through guess not or I am losing my mind.

I read the same article in People. I think after the baby is born and the doctor clears me, I am going to start the program. Don't know if I will make 5K by September but I will definitely will run one soon.

I used to run before Big Cubby but after him I did not have the heart for it anymore.

Changes are coming.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger XYZinn said...

I am totally in! That is so crazy though because my sister just wrote me and said she did a 5k this weekend with her husband. And I was like, I need to do that. Then, I just went to pay my water bill and I saw a flyer for a 5k in July and I grabbed a registration form. Then I get home and read your blog...it is totally meant to be! I need to get in shape and lose this darn baby weight!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Ohhh, we are all going to be cute little runners with cute little shoes! Yay!

The treadmill TOTALLY counts! I think it would be fun for people to do actual 5Ks (so you can send me the results links and brag!) but on your own counts too, because I know no one here would EVER fib!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Monnik said...

I got my package today. THANKS!!!!

You're the coolest.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Yay! I am glad that people are starting to get their packages. I was worried because the post office guy was giving me crap about sending out so many. He seriously said something about bombs. I was like, you have GOT to be kidding me!

But see? Proof I follow through on my little bribes! :)

OK, in other news, I did the second workout tonight, and it was still good! The podcasts are a MUST! I went to the high school track and just forgot about a clock and it was so nice. So ... so far, so good!

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

You go! Great summer project :)

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

And I got my package yesterday and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! ANd the gum, you can see on Manic.

So, I guess I'm kinda in since I walked FORTY-PLUS miles in ten days. That's kinda a record, don'tcha think?

Now, off to the school bus to greet the kiddies--with donut holes, juice boxes AND, you guessed it... MIMOSAS!!!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Jennifer Talty said...

I don't run. I hate running. I'll do yoga.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I only run when chased- however- I will be cheering you on. I'll be holding the fries at the finish line. Unless you take to long in which case I will give you the cold greasy cardboard tube they were in.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Jenster said...

I got mine today!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Monday it's my Swishy Grey's Anatomy CDs in the car on the way to Cold Stone. Yeah. It's going to be good to be me. :o)

Thanks Swish!!!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

My Dr's would never agree to this *they suck*..I've even been curtailed from the gym *gasp* and Honey has been doing the grocery shopping and fixing dinner *groan*..if this keeps up my body is not going to stay quite so "perky" and shall we say more like a tub of lard? The lbs aren't packing on too quick Before all of that my goal was to do a triatholon.. Now I'm lucky to make it to one place to another without keeling over or forgetting where I am.

oh whoops I just made a whole post on your comments section, forgive me my addled brain is still pumped full of silly drugs..

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

oh, Swishy - I'm in....
Yay. Wish you lived in LA - screening of Harold and Maude on Saturday night...
Scribe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home