Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

An awesome way to end the evening

I was totally going to write a proper post, but I'm getting a migraine, so I can't. (Remember the last time I got a migraine? Ha ha.) As soon as I sat down in front of the computer, my vision got all kinds of blurry. I can literally barely see what's on the screen right now--all the letters are just kinda swimming together. Even though the head-pounding hasn't kicked in yet (I predict that'll happen in, like, 15 minutes), it's driving me FREAKING INSANE to try to look at a blurry screen.

Do you want to know why I get migraines sometimes? I'll tell you really quick. When I was, like, four or five or whatever, I got chicken pox. (Side note: My mom WANTED me to get chicken pox, because I hadn't gotten it yet. So when Ricky McCall across the street got it, she had him come over all day and play and even TAKE A BATH with me so I'd get it. I remember having some sort of vague notion of what she was doing and being so pissed about it that I barricaded myself in my bedroom and left poor Ricky scratching himself in the living room until my mom pried me out.)

Anyway. I got chicken pox, and it was spectacular, as only chicken pox can be. Well, months later, I got massively sick. Turns out the chicken pox virus had stayed active in my body, traveled up my spine and INTO MY FREAKING BRAIN. I was way sick and the doctors said it was going to leave me brain damaged. Fortunately, they were wrong (although I suppose that's debatable sometimes), but I've gotten migraines ever since.

And that's the amazing story of why Swishy gets migraines. I'm going to go hide under my blankets now.

11 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I feel for you swish, I get them too. They are horrible and I want to hide in a dark room for days on end. Have you tried Imitrex? I hear that's supposed to work pretty good, although I can't take it cuz I had a reaction to it....I'm sure you really wanted to know that, huh?

go lay down now...or go back and lay down, why are you reading your blog when you have a migraine?

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Jenster said...

I'm so sorry. I only get them every once in a while and they don't usually last more than 24 hours. So I sort of feel your pain.

Weird about the chicken pox! My mom did the same thing to me, but I ended up not getting them until my kids got them. Weird, huh??

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Andie said...

I don't get migraines, but I get raging cramps instead.

I hope you're feeling better today!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

Ugh. that makes Frannie wonder though - if there is a chicken pox connection here. Honestly I would love to have an idea why I get them so often.
Beth - imitrex can work, it is easily saturated into your system. the best bet is a nasal spray - quicker results. I can't take it either. other good options Replax, Axert & Zomig.
Feel better Swish..I will be comiserating with you!

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

Dude, that blows. I hope your head is better soon.

I only had a migraine once, and it hit me with the blurred vision and all that when I was checking a posted final grade in college. And I kept trying to figure out what the grade was because I kept seeing a D, which HAD to be wrong. I left to check it the next day.

Stupid POX!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Oh, I hope you're feeling better!
It's amazing what we used to do in the name of smart medicine (leeches come to mind). Makes me wonder if our kids will look back 20 years from now and think, "I can't believe my parents took ibuprofen!"

Feel better, Swishy - the galexy needs you at full strength (I get a tad melodramatic as the weekend gets closer...)

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger flea said...

aww, poor swishy, hope your feeling better, i think there one of the wurst things a person can have, i recommend lot's and lot's of drugs

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I get them too..I take inderal 2 times a day everyday of my freakin life and fiornal when I get one. I think my sister pushed me off the bed onto the corner of a table and I got dain bramage from it. Never had the chicken pox..yet.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Thank you, guys! So many of us get migraines! They SUCK, huh? Luckily, mine don't last too, too long. It's all good in the hood now!

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Liz said...

OMG..you should totally sue your mom.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Senor Beavis said...

I get migraines too, so I get it. I have nothing that consistently works on them. They once gave me this week series of pills, like a migraine birth control pill. I guess that did work in that it made the rest of me so sick that I forgot about my migraine. I still have a set if you ever want it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home