Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

If loving this is wrong

I don't want to be right.

I don't know what on earth made me think of this ... oh, wait, yes, I do. I was talking to my friend the other day about ... well, never mind, I guess you don't need the whole conversation. The point is, I was like, I haven't danced around my living room in FOREVER and, as you know, a life without living room dancing is a pretty sad one. So I put on some music and started shaking my thing around, and I thought of this video, which I used to put on and dance to all the time and quite possibly is my favorite video ever.



I KNOW! Ha ha ha ha. I don't KNOW why! (Although, if I had to guess, I would say it has something to do with that awesome blue shirt and the dancing in the fountain and ... oh, forget it.) All I know is that this video was responsible for me sneaking up to the front row of a Sugar Ray concert and offering to have Mark McGrath's love child. I actually stayed up late one night and watched TV until this video came on so I could tape it and watch it over and over again. (Such sad days before YouTube!!)

I would say this was an isolated incident, but of course it's not. My entire life is guilty pleasures. Everyone has one or two; I have, like, a hundred.

So what's yours?

(P.S. I would like to say for the record that Mark McGrath does nothing for me now, and has done nothing for me in at least six years. I don't even watch Extra. So he can't house his unborn children in my womb anymore. But I still love the video!)

(Well, maybe we could negotiate. MAYBE!)

16 Comments:

At 6:56 AM, Blogger Beth said...

swish, that's why I love you like I do...you're open to negotiations! ;) you never know..Mark could be sitting at home one day thinking..."I remember a really cute blonde said I could use her womb to house my unborn child...I think I'll look her up."..HEY, it could happen!

and I can totally see you dancing around your living room.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jenster said...

I like Sk8ter Boy by Avril Lavigne. I mean REALLY like it! I'm going to download it for my iPod.

That would be a somewhat embarrassing guilty pleasure. :o)

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Senor Beavis said...

From what I've seen and heard, I think he might not have had a problem taking you up on your offer. Sophomore year of college, I went to see Save Ferris open for them and stuck around for part of their show (they were still in the "we think we're hardcore" phase) and he had an 8 or 9 year old kid in the audience that apparently lived in the DC area.

That seems like it would be a difficult song to dance to. You must have mad skills. I might admit to the occasional dance to "3 to 10" by Lucky Boys Confusion, which would have to be a guilty pleasure in itself.

Oh, and Jenster, I might own that Avril Lavigne album. Shhhhh.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous crazed said...

You are way funny! We all know you are saving that womb for a Tom Cruise love child! Seriously...Can Mark McGrath atually play the guitar? Heaven knows he can't sing.
HA! Senior B... Hardcore phase... wow, were they mistaken!
Guilty pleasures.... MTV reality shows, Pepsi Slurpees (a perfect cure all), and bubble baths... without the kids.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

"House" his unborn children in your womb!!! HAHAHAAHHA!

I have to watch the vid now.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Oh, and senor beavis...

Mad skills, she hath! I know first-hand! That chick can SHAKE IT!!!

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Liz said...

I used to watch MTV all night until they'd play, like, November Rain or something. Or Runaway Train when I was in my Soul Asylum phase. Kids have it so easy these days! We had to walk up hills in the snow barefoot just to watch our favorite videos! Anyway.

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the living room dancing. I hope that my girls will remember the times that we dance together ... of course we dance to the Shrek or Teenage Drama Queen soundtracks -- but we do dance!!!
Frannie ...

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Senor Beavis said...

Manic, I don't doubt that for a second.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

TOTALLY laughing! Ha ha ha.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

Ooo, he was pretty cute, wasn't he? I'll have to check him out on Extra (I didn't know he was on that show.)

I know what you mean about the living room dancing - my guilty pleasure (okay, one of many) is kitchen dancing, same thing, but in fuzzy slippers and usually in the wee hours of the night.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Lo said...

As I was reading this post VH1 showed Mark McGrath tearing down a 13 year old on their "Most Shocking Celeb Moments" for calling him Sugar Gay ... my fave living room dance used to be Funky Cold Medina...oh hell who am I kidding it is STILL my fave living room dance...although I haven't gotten the opportunity to do that in a while...the last living room dance in this household was "Mousercize' from the Mickey Mouse Club House cd w/ my 3 yr old...I used to be cool, really...I promise...

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

It's all about recognizing the dancing opportunities when they present themselves...Swishy, you're our role model :)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Kari Lee Townsend said...

LOL! I have a million guilty pleasures myself. Love the dancing and I wonder why my poor daughter is like she is, she's exactly like me;))

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger flea said...

ooooh i dance around the house all the time to my mp3, but back in the day it was tuning into muchmusic to catch the latest & greatest video...how i miss those days...anyways i so loved mr. mcgrath too back in the day, not so much lately though, i have seen him on extra and frankly he's sort of grose now..

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Senor Beavis said...

Flea, the thing is that he's EXACTLY the same. It's we that have changed with the years.

And I had that damn song in my head all night yesterday. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home