Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

House arrest

I'm not allowed to leave the apartment today until it's super organized and clean. I decided this yesterday, when I heard it was supposed to be warm-ish and sunny. I had visions of throwing open the windows and twisting up my hair into a messy but quasi-hot pile on top of my head and getting all Martha Stewart while the early tournament games played in the background.

Instead, I wake up and it's SNOWING. It's freaking snowing. Five days ago, I was at the lake by my house reading in 77-DEGREE WEATHER.



And now it's snowing. Who wants to spring clean when it's cold outside? I'm still not allowed to leave the house until it's clean, though, because that's the rule, so I'm all about the procrastination instead. I'm sitting on my couch in my pajamas, going between the Friday Night Lights marathon on Bravo and the SUPER AWESOME (for real) Ohio State-Xavier game. And now blogging.

Because life isn't that exciting when you're under house arrest, I'm going to tell you about my hair. Remember when I said that my hair got fried during the hellacious Power Outage of '07? It happened again yesterday! I'm sitting at my desk, minding my business, when a freaking CHUNK of hair falls out.



(It was actually more than that, but it fell apart when I picked it up.)

OK! That's my HAIR! Falling OUT! Do you see the weird-looking thing at the end? That's what made me finally realize what it was: I switched to a boar-bristle brush about the same time I switched to a hotter blow dryer. I got another new brush last week, and the FIRST TIME I used it, the bristles started coming apart. I was like, WTF?!? I think what happens is, the bristles melt when the dryer's too hot, and take whatever hair they're touching with them.

So the upshot is, my hair is a little bit of a mess right now. I can kinda make it blend together, but basically, it's a mess. It's a little stressful. Now I have to get a new brush AND new hair.

Girl Scout cookie watch: I just ate the last four! The cookies are GONE! The other day, I was leaving work, and my friend was all, "Give my regards to the Girl Scouts." I laughed about that all night. As I, you know, continued to pile the Samoas into my mouth. Now I just have to work off the three pounds I've gained. Fun times!

OK, going back up to the lake and the 77-degree weather. I'm reading Jodi Picoult's new book, Nineteen Minutes, right now, and it's really good. It's a little hard to read--hard in the way that sad books are hard to read--but good. I'm almost done.

I have to go clean now. Freaking Xavier. Greg Oden's a bitch.

12 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Oooh, I just bought that book today...for the second time. I bought it a week ago, but gave it to a friend's mom who was recovering from surgery. I started reading it in B&N and I was immediately hooked. Oh, and here's a secret: if you e-mail Jodi Picoult, she e-mails back...right away! She's super nice and apparently super available...or at least she used to be.

Sorry about your hair problem. Maybe it's too much Grey's and 24. Tee hee.

Greetings from Up North Der Hey. It's cold but thankfully not snowing. I want spring!!!!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

My hair fell out when I was in the hospital for a month almost 3 years ago..it was sad my mom would try to do stuff with it when I was in the bed but it was a losing battle..I had just short bits and long stringy stuff, I just pulled it up for 6 months until it was even enough to cut into a bob..my regualr massive (I mean mega massive) hair is back, just with grey now.. the same amount as my sister who is 9 years older than me..

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I'd give you some of my hair if my hair was blond. My hair falls out daily, but it grows like weeds. I have to get my hair cut every 4 weeks. Seriously.

And I'm sorry its cold for you today! Come here... it's a sunny 68 degrees and breezy today! I have all my windows open!

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

OK, so many LOL moments in this post--the quasi but hot bun, the melted hair, the Girl Scout Watch!

I was on house arrest today too! In fact, it's 6 p.m. and I JUST GOT OUT OF BED! (Of course, I did manage to get out of bed at 2 pm. to inhale Portillo's -- a burger, fries, and a giant vanilla milkshake.

Can anybody say St-Paddy's Day Hangover!?!?!?

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

Hey Swish! Sorry to hear about your hair. And the freakish cold weather. I've been having hair issues lately, too, though mine's really about stress. Prenatal vitamins are supposed to make your hair grow thick and shiny.
Scribe

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I think Greg Oden should be psychologically evaluated. He plays with a creepily flat affect. Dude, thump your chest or something. Anything.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Jenster said...

Oy! We ended up with about 6" of sleet Friday night. My car is still stuck in the garage because we're new to all this and didn't know we should salt the driveway/ice. The snow was so much easier to shovel!

The whole hair thing is a bugger! At least you've figured it out, though.

I totally blew it and forgot to do the NCAA thing. :o(

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Eileen said...

That hair chunk makes it look like Tyra Banks gave you a makeover on ANTM. : )

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

Ugh. I have been losing my hair fot months, it is making me crazy. T-girl suggested Vitamin B but it so far hasn't made a difference, but it would help if I took it daily.
I read Vanishing Acts and it was one of the best books I have read .. I want to read more of her's but I have soooo many others to read.
It is just wet here today - not too cold but wet, wet, wet.
No cookies here - just Cheez-Its ... box after box of Cheez-Its. Not good.

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

What, are you on BLog-Arrest too bitch?



hahahahahha


hahahahahhaha!

I am soooo fucking funny! Don't you think?

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

BLOG ARREST! Ha ha ha ha ha.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Kristabella said...

Does anyone else think that most of the women in Jodi Picoult's books are like really whiny sometimes and make huge problems out of nothing?

Maybe I shouldn't read them so close together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home