Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Hiding

I went into hiding this weekend. Sometimes I just need to hide from the world. I came out today because I had to work, but I kinda want to go back. I can't, because I'm an adult and I'm supposed to act like it occasionally, but I want to.

I didn't really think about this until today, but I used to hide a lot when I was a kid. I'd take a flashlight into bed with me and pull my blankets over my head and it was like no one could see me. I'd build myself little lean-to forts in the woods, too. And my favorite thing of all was to set up folding chairs and drape blankets over them until I had a nice, dark little house to hide in. That's kind of what I did this weekend. I live alone and I STILL made a little cave out of blankets and hid inside of it so no one could see me.

I used to just bring soda and a treat with me to my hiding places, but this time I brought Friday Night Lights (the TV show) with me, too. They showed two episodes on Bravo yesterday afternoon, and then I went online and watched a bunch of episodes in reverse order. They have the entire season free at NBC.com! I'd heard it was good, and I saw the pilot, which was pretty good, but for whatever reason I just hadn't watched it. But it is SO good! I totally got into it.

What else ... the radio thing on Friday was good. I was very nervous and pretty much freaking out leading up to it, but then I pulled myself together and I think it went OK. They asked me back, so I guess it wasn't too bad! I'll have to see if there's a link somewhere or something and then you can hear the infamous Swishy laugh. Ha.

Finally, a couple random thoughts on People.com's headlines tonight:

--Jared Leto is a freaking tool. Seriously. Every night at, like, 2:17 a.m. I see his stupid video on VH1 and I'm like, "NICE EYELINER, JORDAN CATALANO!" Now, apparently, he has broken his nose by diving into the crowd at one of his concerts. Good. GOOD! I can't wait to see pretty boy Jared Leto walking around with white tape and a splint on his nose. HA!

--Mark Ruffalo is hot. I bought 13 Going on 30 the day it came out because of him.

--I know a lot of stuff, but I did NOT know Mary-Louise Parker was dating Denny from Grey's Anatomy. Hmm. I'm not sure what I think of that yet.

--And then there's this headline: "Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Her Kids' Famous Friends." I am not EVEN going to start with that one. I WANT to, but I will be here all damn night if I do, and it's already 2:03 a.m.

(Oh, yeah--I am also LOVING this season of Amazing Race. I just got done watching it. I wish these teams could race each other over and over. Best quotes of the night: 1) "Security!!" 2) "Rob is not Jesus" and 3) "Charla should like him." Ha ha ha ha.)

18 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger BeckyD said...

I am so with you about Mark Ruffalo! And Just Like Heaven (with Reese Witherspoon)? OMG he is too die for in that movie.

Yeah, I have both 13 going on 30 and Just like Heaven, just b/c of him...

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Trish said...

I totally hear you with the hiding thing. I used to do it as a kid and still need to now occasionally. Only it's harder because I have to act all grown up and stuff.

"Where's mom?"

"Oh, she's hiding again."

Yeah that wouldn't go over too well.

And as for the jeans...I DO NOT have a cute little body :P so I buy big straight leg jeans. There is a science to jean fitting m'dear ;)

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I LOVE you Swishy!!!! ;) You're so much fun to read, and I just KNOW that you are that much more fun in person.

Mark Ruffalo IS hot! And so is the clive guy from England, that was in Derailed with Jennifer Aniston. Jared Leto....meh...not so much. I like to keep my makeup all to myself.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Beth--Swishy is even MORE FUN in live-real-person Swish time!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Kari Lee Townsend said...

Oh, yeah, Mark Ruffalo!!!

Swishy you are so funny. I have to meet you!!!

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Oh, you guys are so nice to me! I need it these days.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger flea said...

wasn't last nights show great? i just love it, and i loved the jesus comment too!! too funny i just have no idea who i want to win (well Rob and Amber)such an awsome show

and i too love to hole up All the time in my bed and don't want to come out, i think it's just a natural thing.....

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Senor Beavis said...

Glad to see another on the Friday Night Lights bandwagon. Goodness knows it needs you. That and Veronica Mars are by far the best shows on TV (says me), even in VM has been a little choppy this season.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I hide too. My husband respects that, and that's why I love him. Took a long time to find somone who understands my mood swings..especially when I'm "afraid" to go out in the real world.As a kid, I use to hide in a storage area in our house that was under the stairs, I sat in big old leather suitcases with satin lining, with a flashlight and a book. I loved closets, I would drag my blankets into them and sleep there instead of my bed.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Jenster said...

Sometimes the best thing in the world is to escape FROM the world! I always loved making forts and doing the folding chairs, blankets thing.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Lo said...

Okay I know this is weird, but when I was small I used to hide in the bathroom. I would lock the door, shut the light off, sit on the toilet and pull not only the shower curtain but also the liner around me for privacy.

Laughing hysterically over a news report calling Jared Leto a "douche nozzle". Priceless. I do love my "My So-Called Life" one and only season on dvd however. The stringy hair and makeup I can do without. I liked him much better when he was that indifferent guy that would never like me in high school.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

Mark Ruffalo and Clive Owen - um, yes please. And I'm so with you on the whole hiding thing, and especially over this weekend.
Big hug.
Scribe

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

You guys ... I seriously love knowing that you all hide sometimes too! Such cute stories.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Karen said...

OK, seriously? You watch Amazing Race too? Do you live with me? I can't believe that we watch so many of the same TV shows. Yeah, I guess it's not that weird - us and two or three million other people, right? I too am loving AR this year but I was very disappointed in Kevin and Drew. They deserved to get eliminated. What was up with that? And Myrna and Schmyrna are kinda nasty this season, dontcha think? It's all good.

Hugs from Wisconsin

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Senor Beavis said...

Lo, as far as I can tell, "douche nozzle" was coined by Adam Carolla on the "Loveline" radio show a bunch of years ago. He went off on a tangent about how it's unfair that the bag is the only part of the douching apparatus used as an insult.

And are we sure Jared Leto "fell" and wasn't jumped by Elijah Wood's emo posse out for revenge?

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Andie said...

my husband loves friday night lights. I'll watch it sometimes with him. Pretty good show.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

With you 100% on the Mark Ruffalo and Jared Leto things. Jared makes me ill. Seriously ill. Mark ... dreamy, the guy is dreamy!
I hide occasionally too. less often now because of the kids, but I still try every once in a while.
Glad the radio thing went well. Can we listen?

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Karen! How funny! I know this is sacrilege to many AR fans, but I like Rob and Amber a lot. And Danny and Oswald are hilarious ... so is Team Guido ... oh, I love this season SO much.

Elijah Wood's emo posse!!! HA HA HA HA. OK, and Jared Leto is COMING TO MY CITY SOON! I died laughing when I saw that. I SO want to go hang out outside his hotel and heckle his band and his eyeliner and his crooked, black-and-blue nose. SO bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home